PDA

View Full Version : Guide bar/table saw mismatch?

Gary Swart
11-22-2006, 9:46 PM
Looking for thoughts and suggestions on this. I bought a Grizzly 1023 table saw in 1997. I recently bought a new tenoning jig from Grizzly. The guide bar has round plates on each end to fit into the groove in the slot on the TS. I'm sure you're all familiar with that. When I began to assemble the jig, I discovered that I could start the guide bar into the slot, but as I pushed it forward in the slot, the other end was about 4" above the slot. I tried it on both sides of the blade, same results. The only way I could make the guide bar go in the slot flat was to remove or shim the plates. I assumed a defect, and Grizzly replaced the jig post haste. Guess what! Same problem with the new jig. I went ahead an really messed with shimming until I got as good a fit as I could get. I suspect that there may have been a change in the specs on the table saw since it was new, but I have yet to have that confirmed. Grizzly was all set to have me return this one, but I don't think there will be anything to gain by doing that. Don't confuse this problem with side play, there are adjustment in the bar for that.

Greg Heppeard
11-22-2006, 9:56 PM
Sounds like your TS has a slight crown in the top. You should be able to loosen the screws in the round plates on the guide bar of the tenoning jig and things should work just fine then.

Gary Swart
11-22-2006, 11:53 PM
I don't think there is a crown, but I'll sure check it. I tried loosing the screws, but this didn't seem to be a very good solution as the screws were almost clear out of the bar and I knew that a little vibration would allow them to fall out. I experimented with shims until I had a good fit. I'm just look to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.