PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Bell System chisel

Peter James
11-22-2006, 8:53 PM
I am looking for information on an interesting tool I just found, a 2" firmer chisel marked 'BELL SYSTEM' on one side with a small Stanley cartouche on the reverse. It is a tang chisel with a strange mangled original handle, looks to be tightly wrapped strips of paper. I surmise that it was part of a lineman's toolkit, but what is the purpose of a paper handle? Doesn't seem to be a good choice for such a rough duty tool. When were these made? Worth keeping? Thanks for any info. Pete

Ryan Cathey
11-22-2006, 9:10 PM
Maybe for electrical insulation?

-Ryan C.

Doug Shepard
11-22-2006, 9:16 PM
My dad used to work for the phone company - Michigan Bell which was pre-ATT breakup and was eventually rolled up into one of the regional Bells, Ameritech. Anyway he used to have all sorts of stuff that had BELL SYStEM on it. Since they were such a large customer it was pretty easy for them to get special labeling. Most of seemed to be from the 50's and 60's. For sure, none of it is after the AT&T breakup. Cant tell you what's up with the paper wrapped handle, but I suspect it might be something for electric shock insulation. I should be talking to him tomorrow. Though he started off as a splicer not a lineman, I'll see if he recalls anything.

Peter James
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Here are some pics.....

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
The "Bell System" marking appears to be something like an "ownership stamp"...perhaps the tool was issued to a technician by the company.

Gil Mitchell
11-23-2006, 1:32 PM
I have a spoon around here somewhere, that has Bell System on the handle. picked it up in the early 70's. just thought it was different so I kept it. (man time flies when your having fun. 30 years ago :eek: )

skip coyne
11-23-2006, 1:51 PM
I sorta used to collect bell system stuff , youll find all kinds of tools marked bell system .( I picked up a nice stanley SW /Bell screwdriver the other day )

I dont see tha handle being insaltion wood would also offer insaltion besides telphone is low voltage non of the pliers or screwdrivers Ive seen have any special insaltion .

if your intrested Bell stuff often does well on ebay

Wes Bischel
11-23-2006, 6:42 PM
My Dad worked for Bell (Illinois) and would bring home Bell labelled tools to do special jobs. They seemed to put their name on everything!;)

Wes

Doug Shepard
11-23-2006, 9:05 PM
Just got off the phone with my Dad. He wasn't much help, although he doesn't think it was something a linesman used. He said the biggest Bell System wood chisels he ever recalled seeing was 1" or 1.25" and doesn't recall seeing any with the handle like yours'. He thinks it's possible though that the 'Building Services' section of the Bell's may have possibly used something that big, but also wondered if it was something needed in a specific region and just not common at the Bells in the midwest. He did confirm that all that stuff was bought directly from the manufacturers with the BELL SYSTEM name already marked on the tools.

Matt Day
01-19-2015, 2:17 PM
I'm digging up an old thread I know, but this is one of the first threads that came up on a google search.

Another estate sale find. I couldn't pass up the heft of this chisel for $5. It feels more like a weapon that a chisel (or mini slick?). Not sure what I'll plan to do with it but it's a neat piece to have I think. It's stamped Stanley on the back, and Bell System on the front, just like the OP's.

Jim Koepke
01-19-2015, 2:55 PM
I worked for Pac Bell in the late 1960s early '70s.

I recall seeing paper plugs like used in the chisel handle, but not sure where they were used. My suspicion is the handle on that chisel is a replacement.

As for use, linemen would install cross arms or small support arms on poles. A handsaw and chisel would be used to cut out a notch in the pole where the cross arm or support arm would be installed. There were likely other uses in other fields within the phone company.

jtk

Matt Day
01-19-2015, 3:31 PM
Thanks for info Jim. Think my handle is original?

Jim Koepke
01-19-2015, 4:47 PM
Thanks for info Jim. Think my handle is original?

It doesn't look original for a chisel that most likely would be struck by lineman's hammer.

jtk

Jim Ritter
01-19-2015, 7:57 PM
Definitely a replacement handle, I have a bunch of those handles around the shop. Just got a Bell System axe this summer. Also have a couple braces, a screwdriver and wire cutters. Good tools.
jim