PDA

View Full Version : Don' work while tired!

Andrew Melamed
11-22-2006, 8:48 PM
My mom works as a nurse in the E.R.. A 60 year old man came in with four fingers cut off. He was making Christmas presents and got tired. He figured he would make "just a few more cuts" and was too tired to concentrate. If you get too tired please don't woodwork or use any type of machiney.

Roy Wall
11-22-2006, 8:53 PM
That is horrible news!!! A terrible shame.

Andrew Melamed
11-22-2006, 9:09 PM
yeah just in time for the holiday too

Sam Chambers
11-22-2006, 9:20 PM
That's terrible news. And it's why one of my unbreakable shop rules is "No Power Tools After 9:00 pm".

lou sansone
11-22-2006, 9:56 PM
That's terrible news. And it's why one of my unbreakable shop rules is "No Power Tools After 9:00 pm".

that's the exact same rule I have. it has worked pretty well for all these years for me.

lou

Paul Kinneberg
11-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I great reminder saftey first!!

Dan Clark
11-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Last Sunday night, I sanded off a 1" X 1/2" X 1\4" chunk of my left middle finger with my belt sander (36 grit belt). It was 5:45 pm.

I was in the emergency room for two hours before they could get it to stop bleeding! When I got home I saw blood spattered on the bathroom walls, floor, vanity top and sink. (Looked like a butcher shop.) I didn't think a belt sander could do that much damage!

Even if we are careful, $hit happens. Use extra caution at ALL times!

Dan.

Andrew Melamed
11-22-2006, 10:56 PM
yeah, I stop at 10pm latest which is usally when im done using Minwax finish......I go to bed late anyway so 9pm is early for me. What can I say im 14:p

Roland Chung
11-22-2006, 11:00 PM
I remember working late one night (early one morning?) and getting two serious kickbacks almost one after another. One shot across the shop and the other hit me in the hip.

If I was really smart, I would have figure things out after the first mishap, but by the second one, I "counted my lucky stars" and have made it a habit not to work in the shop when I am tired.

Roland

Andrew Melamed
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
i makke sure I wake up at 6am so by 7:35 when the first period bell ringsfor shop class I'm wide awake along with my teacher....theres a reason I'm doing metalworking and everyone else is doing woodworking.

Marion Rood
11-23-2006, 9:52 AM
I know I guy who cut off tip of two different fingers. Once 30 years ago--making just one last cut, and once a couple years ago--making just one last cut.
I don't work when I'm tired. And I don't work when I angry. I've seen seen a fair amount of blood when people are mad at their girlfriend/wife/person who cut them off in traffic.
Practice zen woodworking. Be in the moment.
Marion
(with all ten)