PDA

View Full Version : One year ago today...

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 3:43 PM
One year ago today...22 November...we became a family of four. Our daughters are the joy of our lives (punctuated by a few challenges...) and we have less than zero regrets about taking the journey we signed on to almost two years ago. Life, as we know it, is very different!

The US Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow has special meaning in this household. Last year, we celebrated in Moscow at TGI Fridays. (I had chicken fingers...no turkey on the menu) This year, we celebrate at home. Just the four of us, err...six. Can’t forget Tosca and Spike, our birds. And we have a lot to be very thankful for. All of us.

Alison and I have the honor and pleasure of parenting two lovely young ladies...for that we are thankful. The system worked for us...it’s certainly become much more frustrating for people who are following the same path this year. Alison’s new professional appointment that let’s her be closer to home most days as well as teach others is also something we are thankful for. And our plans to build an addition to our home are moving forward. “Ching...ching...”, but we are still thankful we can do it!

Alesya and Nastia have each other. I know that sounds strange, but these sisters only met each other a few years ago. They also have a stable, functional family that cares for them deeply. Both girls are doing well in school and in learning how to live in said stable, functional family.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5788/816/1600/kiss.jpg50732

There are still challenges, but we are equally thankful that we are there to help the girls work through things.

And then there are the hugs...more and more spontaneous every day.

So today’s celebration included chocolate at breakfast, Little Mermaid Barbies from mom and red roses from dad after school, McDonald’s for dinner (girls’ choice) and Friendly’s for Ice Cream. (MY choice...)

For those of you who celebrate the US Thanksgiving holiday on the 23rd, enjoy the day. And raise a toast to each child who finds a family this year and going forward...and especially to the families who make the commitment.

Here are a few more pictures from the day for your enjoyment:

50733 50734 50735 50736

BLOG: http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com

John Hart
11-22-2006, 3:45 PM
That's nice Jim. I remember. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Bruce Page
11-22-2006, 3:53 PM
Nice post Jim, it doesn't seem like a whole year has gone by. Alesya and Nastia look very happy in their new life!

Mark Pruitt
11-22-2006, 4:01 PM
Jim, how nice! That's a wonderful work that you and Alison have undertaken, it creates a win-win scenario for all. Congratulations to you and your family as you celebrate.

Rich Konopka
11-22-2006, 4:03 PM
Congratulations Jim !!! Watch them girls grow up fast. Did the year go by quick?

Our Anniversary is Friday Nov 24. !7 years and counting.

Thanksgiving is trully a special time.

Wes Bischel
11-22-2006, 4:25 PM
Congratulations to the WHOLE Becker family! For some reason, it seems longer than a year - kind of like it was always meant to be.

Wes

Andy Hoyt
11-22-2006, 4:42 PM
Happy Anniversary to Becker clan.

Seems like you should bust that big black hat out of mothballs and celebrate in style.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2006, 4:46 PM
Congrats to the entire Becker family! Happy Anniversary and Thanksgiving! Life is indeed GOOD!

BTW....I hope I don't find the gift in that last photo under my Christmas tree!

Karl Laustrup
11-22-2006, 4:50 PM
Congratulations to the Becker FAMILY!!!

Seems like just last week we followed your trip to Russia on the road to adopting the girls. Enjoy them, for all too soon they grow up and begin their own lives.

Karl

Carl Eyman
11-22-2006, 4:53 PM
I mean you go out to celebrate a great event such as you did, and you have to go to MACDONALD'S? DAMHIKT

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 5:45 PM
I'll raise a toast to that, and I don't even drink!! Congrats again Jim and family. It takes special courage and commitmant to do what you and the LOYL have done. Love makes it all happen. Jim.

Roger Myers
11-22-2006, 6:05 PM
Happy anniversary to the entire Becker family... I know that it has been a year filled with all of the joys and challenges that are part of every family and I wish you, your wife, and your two daughters a very happy and joyful Thanksgiving. When I read your posts, I often think about my parents and their choice to take me and my sister into their lives and how blessed I was that they had the courage and love to do so.... Your post once again reminds me of how much I have to be thankful for!
Best wishes to you all...
Roger

Doug Jones
11-22-2006, 6:07 PM
WOW, its been a year. Seems like you were just talking about it last month. Dude,,,,, I mean Dad, you rock.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 8:14 PM
I mean you go out to celebrate a great event such as you did, and you have to go to MACDONALD'S? DAMHIKT

Yea...go figure. But I did get my way with the ice cream venue! (Nastia ate a whole banana split, plus part of her sisters. (She's not normally allowed to finish Alesya's food/desert...we let her slide for the occasion)

Seems like you should bust that big black hat out of mothballs and celebrate in style.

You mean the forehead ribbon wasn't good enough?? LOL! :D

Brown Rabbit Fur. ;) Yea...too hot to actually wear around here (plus it makes my skin break out)...so you'll have to settle for a sentimental picture...

Terry Hatfield
11-22-2006, 8:38 PM
j.

We are so very happy for you and Allison and of course the children. It is so wonderful that the story had such a happy ending for all of you. Many, many more happy Thanksgivings to all of you.

t

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2006, 8:48 PM
You did good, Jim. I'm adopted and figured I would repay the gift. However, my wife did get pregnant despite the doctor's prediction. Kids are a blessing, despite how tired they make us at times. Altho two girls... you're a braver man than I, Gunga Jim.

Oh, and the bow doesn't match your shirt...

Mark Rios
11-22-2006, 9:00 PM
What a truly great day Jim. Many congratulations.

Jerry Olexa
11-22-2006, 9:11 PM
Jim: Very well written and expressed!! You are right! You and many of us have much to be thankful for..Your journey showed determination and commitment and the results appear well worth it..Congratulations to you and your expanded family. Tommorrow will have special meaning for you. Enjoy the day! You and your wife should be very proud...Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 9:19 PM
Altho two girls... you're a braver man than I, Gunga Jim.

My brudda has three...one is still a teenager. Plus three boys; two teens and one trailing at 8. And an ex...

I'm the lucky one! But I guess I did exchange diapers for a quick road to puberty... :eek:

Tom Hamilton
11-22-2006, 9:34 PM
Jim, thanks for the reminder and update. You have so many wonderful experiences ahead of you...sounds like you're of a mind to enjoy each one.

Now about puberty....:eek:

Happy Thanksgiving, Tom

Mitchell Andrus
11-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Big hearted people... gotta love 'em.

Mitch

John Miliunas
11-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Nope, it really doesn't seem like that's been a year ago, already! You guys done good and, as mentioned by others, you have much left to look forward to! Yup, ALL of you have much to be thankful for this year! :) :cool:

Charles McKinley
11-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Wow Jim,

It doesn't seem like a year! Children are a great blessing and I'm glad you are enjoying this road. The time goes past faster each year. Gotta love those hugs. :D

John Bailey
11-23-2006, 1:44 AM
A great story for a great family. Thanks for the update. See ya' next year.

John

Joe Mioux
11-23-2006, 2:56 AM
Jim:

It is hard to believe that a year has past. The girls always look so happy in you pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe

JayStPeter
11-23-2006, 7:38 AM
Congrats Jim. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jay

Martin Shupe
11-23-2006, 8:20 AM
Congrats Jim and Allison, you are a blessing to those girls that they will always appreciate.

Happy Thanksgiving from Basel. Paris this afternoon, Milan by midnight...:(

Maybe if I click my heels together I could go home...sigh...

Matt Meiser
11-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Congratulations to the Becker family. Things have certainly changed around there since I first "met" you here a few years ago!

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Maybe if I click my heels together I could go home...sigh...

LOL! Yea...and strangly enough, that's the family movie for this week. The Wizard of OZ arrived from Netflix yesterday. :D

Safe travels, Martin...I'm sure there will be left-overs waiting for you when you get home! :p

Dave Ray
11-23-2006, 3:42 PM
Happy Anniversary to Family Day Jim. Where did that year go? The girls look great, growing fast. I know from your posts you spend a lot of time with them, that is so very important. Wishing you and your family the best on Turkey Day and all days.