PDA

View Full Version : What to get my dad?

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 3:17 PM
On my dad's christmas list, he has "New tool for workshop, be creative" I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that gets the list would attempt to fulfill that item...now that I have claimed it, I'm at a loss.

One could say I got the WW bug from my dad. Which I am very thankful for, but he has never really progressed very far in the field. For example, last year I offered to lend him my dial indicator so he could true up his table saw. He said, "No thanks, I have no idea what it's for, how to use it, or what to check." So, he has the basics, TS, hand me down old lunchbox planer, benchtop DP, and 5" ROS.... I don't think he has any hand tools, like a scraper, or hand planes...nor do think he would know the proper way to use them. (or keep them sharpened) I think he's just set in his ways.

Any ideas? suggestions? (almost forgot, budget is under $50)

W Craig Wilson
11-22-2006, 3:30 PM
1) "You can never have too many clamps"
2) New bits or blades
3) Lumber (not strictly a tool but...)
4) Coupon for a tune up for the TS- (could be another magic father-son moment!)

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 3:37 PM
I like your thinking...the coupon idea could bring so many posibilities....(and a straight cut on the saw)

Keep em comin'.:D

Fred Woodward
11-22-2006, 3:51 PM
Would he attend a woodworking class at, say, Woodcraft? Maybe another chance for a father/son moment.

David G Baker
11-22-2006, 4:03 PM
I like your thinking...the coupon idea could bring so many posibilities....(and a straight cut on the saw)

Keep em comin'.:D
You can't go too wrong with a Home Depot gift card. The gift I wish for each and every year.
David

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 4:09 PM
Would he attend a woodworking class at, say, Woodcraft? Maybe another chance for a father/son moment.

Great idea, I looked into that a little bit. He'd have to drive about 45 mins to the nearest one....I thought maybe intro to turning. And then I thought, he does not have a lathe, and he would have to buy equipment for something he may never do again. Then he may love it and fall into the abyss...I'll have to think about this some more.

Jim W. White
11-22-2006, 4:37 PM
How about a Rocket Pocket Hole jig kit from Kreg?!

I think the class at Woodcraft idea is a killer one though. Ifyou attended together I'm sure he wouldn't care what class it was. The one in my city has multiple project classes which do not require any specific tool discipline such as the turning ones do. They make everything from small gift items to tables to rocking chairs and such.

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 4:47 PM
Already got him the rocket pocket jig a couple years back....at first he wondered when he would use something like that. Now he uses it all the time.

Allen Bookout
11-22-2006, 4:47 PM
CLASS AT WOODCRAFT!!! I think that Fred hit the nail on the head. Nothing like some success to fuel the enthusiasm.

I don't know about a turning class though. Those guys seem a bit strange.

John Schreiber
11-22-2006, 4:51 PM
How about a Rocket Pocket Hole jig kit from Kreg?!
I think that's a great idea. He sounds like my dad. He's a pretty good woodworker, but definitely not into "fine" woodworking. The Kreg pocket hole system is great for quick, easy, strong connections.

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 5:39 PM
I like the blade lock I got for changing out the TS blade. 15.00, can get them at Lowes or on line. Get him a dial indicator, and spend some time with pops showing him how to use them. I bet it would be one of the best gifts he ever got! Jim.

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 5:40 PM
Classes at woodcraft closest to him:

Plunge Router Workshop
Beginning Carving: Arizona Sand Guppy
Squaring rough lumber
Make a pen set
Get to know the band saw
Beginning to wood turning
Learn Bowl turninng
Router basics
Router Table Workshop
Picture Framing
Hands-On Raised panel DoorHe doesn't have a plunge router, nor would want to learn about it. Carving, he's not interested in detail work. Squaring rough lumber, doesn't have the tools. Pen set...posibility. Band saw, no need to learn. Wood turning...don't know. He doesn't have a lathe. Router basic, he has that covered. Picture frame, come on...for real??? Raised panel door, he doesn't build cabinets. The "best" thing seems to be something with woodturning. But even that may be a stretch for him. What to do, what to do.

Glen Blanchard
11-22-2006, 5:47 PM
A class at Woodcraft seems like the best option. If you rule that out however, how about a subscription to a WW magazine? Or a nice WW book(s).

Scott Vigder
11-22-2006, 6:37 PM
Maybe a subscription to Woodsmith (no ads) or other fine woodworking magazine. The gift that keeps on giving! Then maybe he'll learn how to use some other tools, or get some great project ideas. :)

John Weber
11-22-2006, 7:26 PM
I would go for a LN block plane, everyone can use a block plane. It's over your budget, but likely something he would not buy himself. I bet he would really appreciate a fine tool even if he seldom uses it (although you can always use a block plane). Spend a little extra on Dad this year, can't go wrong with a beautiful piece of bronze.

John

Gary Keedwell
11-22-2006, 7:33 PM
I gotta second the woodworking book gift. or subscription to a couple WW mags.

Gary K.

scott spencer
11-22-2006, 7:52 PM
If he uses his table saw much, I like the idea of a new blade...you could include a coupon for an alignment and tune it up yourself. A new Incra V27 miter gauge fits your budget and is a nice gauge.

If you've got any brothers or sisters, maybe you could go in and get a PC690 router or the small Hitachi for ~ $100...maybe less if you're lucky.

This Friday should provide some decent cordless drills in the $50 range...not overly "creative" though!

I got a Kreg Pocket Rocket as a gift a couple of years ago...great gift!

Kreg review (http://www.epinions.com/content_134673698436)

Bill Grumbine
11-22-2006, 9:05 PM
Get him a lathe! They don't need dial indicators. :D

Bill

Carol Reed
11-22-2006, 10:36 PM
saddle square turns out to be deceptively useful

Ed Frie
11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I use these just about every day. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45089&cat=1,43513,51657&ap=1:)