PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel

Karl Laustrup
11-22-2006, 1:42 PM
Here's a question that I may know the answer to, but due to CRS can't remember.

I have managed to put a few scratches in the stainless on our Wolf range. I would like to get them out. How can I do this without ruining the whole stainless finish look.

I was thinking some steel wool but not sure. :confused:

TIA

Karl

Bruce Page
11-22-2006, 2:11 PM
Karl, if the top has a brushed finish you can touch it up using some grey or green 3M Scotch Brite. I would use a straight edge of some sort to line up the “brush marks”.

Joe Pelonio
11-22-2006, 2:13 PM
Here's a question that I may know the answer to, but due to CRS can't remember.
I have managed to put a few scratches in the stainless on our Wolf range. I would like to get them out. How can I do this without ruining the whole stainless finish look.

I was thinking some steel wool but not sure. :confused:

TIA

Karl
Wait, don't do it! Steel Wool will give you a lot more scratches. We went through this with our stove. Sometimes a little turtle wax (paste type for car) will help if not too deep. Jeweler's rouge and a buffer was recommended, but I couldn't find it at the time. Then my wife found something called "barkeeper's friend" at the grocer, that looks like cleanser but using a wet sponge it took out the minor scratches.

On a deeper one I used #600 wet sandpaper, until the scratch is gone but instead you have a lot of little ones. Then #1200, then dupont automotive rubbing compound to buff out.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 3:39 PM
I have a few on our DCS range...one big one from right after the kitchen was "dedicated". 'Made the mistake of trying to "brush it out" with pad...it's more visible. Now, I just think of it as "patina"... :D

Frank Fusco
11-22-2006, 4:50 PM
The idea of stainless steel in a kitchen sounds good. But, in practice, it is a genuine PIA. Live with the scratches, you will just get more.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 8:22 PM
One of the little secrets to keeping stainless appliances looking really nice is...a light wipe with mineral oil every once in awhile. It keeps fingerprints at bay and they are the most noticable "afflication". And despite a few scratches here and there, I'd buy it again.

Ken Garlock
11-22-2006, 8:26 PM
Now how do you fix a Wolf? Fry it, pot roast, or maybe the oven. Hummmm

Bill Roland
11-22-2006, 9:56 PM
Go to a motorcycle shop and ask for "Simichrome Polish". It is a very fine polish for the removal of blueing from exhaust pipes and mufflers. It should remove all small scratches from almost any surface.

Charles McKinley
11-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Hi Karl,

I would not use regular steel wool on it for fear of carbon contamination causing the spot to rust.

Karl Laustrup
11-23-2006, 1:21 PM
Thanks all for the replys. I will NOT use steel wool. I guess I'll think about it and maybe just chalk the scratches up to use.

Karl

Mark Rios
11-23-2006, 1:53 PM
Now how do you fix a Wolf? Fry it, pot roast, or maybe the oven. Hummmm

I think that's illegal in most states, Ken. :D :D :D

Ken Garlock
11-23-2006, 6:11 PM
I think that's illegal in most states, Ken. :D :D :D

Mark, you are probably correct. Actually, I am fan of the wolf. They are very smart animals, and IMO, very handsome.