PDA

View Full Version : chip barrel to top seal. What's best to use?

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 1:36 PM
I hope to finish my Clear Vue this weekend, and part of that chore will be making the lid for my chip barrel. Is there a type of seal that works best? Something that's available at HD? I will be making the lid out of MDF, and painting or sealing it with Poly. Going on a plastic chemical barrel that I already have. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!! Jim

Doug Shepard
11-22-2006, 1:44 PM
My chip barrel is a metal one I got from McMaster-Carr with an EPDM (dont have a clue what that stands for) gasket. But for something available from HD, I have to wonder if cork wouldn't work well. You can usually find 1/8" rolls pretty easily. I would think HD would have that.

Tommy Curtiss
11-22-2006, 2:10 PM
I would think you should be able to find something in the weather stripping isle,I use a rubber gasketing material at work, it is kinda like that stuff you put on your pick-up bed before you put on a camper,,,you know what I mean:confused: :D
Tommy

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 2:27 PM
Thanks guys! I'll probably check out HD on the way home this evening to see if I see anything I like. Hoping to find something that's closed cell rather than the open cell foam stuff.
Hey Tommy, haven't talked to you in a while. Electricity's been on for a week now, and nothing's smoked yet! :D I understand you're in building mode. Let me know if you need a hand with anything! Jim.

Tommy Curtiss
11-22-2006, 2:48 PM
Glad to hear everything is going good in your shop,,ben meaning to get by to sneek a peek,,but I have been building a house,( note to self...never do all this by yourself again),,everything is finished inside the house as far as mechanical and electrical,sheetrock, paint ect,,and I have been building the cabinets (2nd note to self,,90 lf of cabinets is hard work),,I have been working all day and driving to Granbury at night to work on cabinets,,,but tonight we are going to start building the 54 different doors to fit all that has been constructed ( 3rd note,,,to many doors= too much $)...I promise to post pics as soon as I figure out how to...Feel free to come out any time,,this weekend I will be building the counter tops,,(laminate for now,granit as money pot gets replinished),,,But thats why I hadn't got by lately,,,2450 sgft in 7 months by yourself will keep a person busy to say the least

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 4:05 PM
'Just make sure you have a way to mechanically fasten the lid to the bin...it must be a full and complete seal or you'll get major blow-by and fill up your filters...or in your case, spew massive amounts of chips and dust out of your shop's eaves... ;)

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 5:35 PM
Tommy, I'll call you sometime and set up a visit!

Jim, I was thinking about some sort of spring latch. Easy to open and close. Not sure where to find something like that, though. Guess I could do 4 rubber bungees.:eek: :D :D Maybe some type of wing bolt off the side of the lid? Possibly an arm coming off of the barrel, with a wing bolt going up through the eye into a t-nut in the lid? Can you tell I'm thinking out loud?? :rolleyes: I'll keep playing with that. Thanks! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 7:53 PM
HD has a window/door weatherstripping that is the EDPM material...5/8" wide, 1/4" tall. We'll see if that works first, then go from there. Thanks again! Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
11-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Check with a local warehouse (not Sams Club) for an empty fiber barrel that floor sweep compound came in. Car washes also get detergent in fiber barrels. The lids are held in place with a locking band. I used to get them from Lowes for free, but they changed over to a wet floor cleaning machine. Ones with plastic tops are a breeze to cut inlet hole in. Simply make a trammel out of a piece of wood and two nails. One is the pivot, and the other is the cutter. Make several passes around to cut hole.

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
What Bruce mentions is the way that my Oneida bins operate...locking band that seals tight.

glenn bradley
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
My lid has a medium density foam gasket that looks like any other weather strip. The requirement I would think would be: soft enought to conform or compress to provide a seal, dense enough not to terminally compress (lose it's squish-factor), glued on to beat hell so it doesn't end up where it shouldn't.

glenn bradley
11-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I've done good quality bungees for a couple years, no problems.