PDA

View Full Version : ¿Abysseration question?

Jim Underwood
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Heh heh... I work in a cabinet shop and turned some bunn feet for a customer's sink cabinet the the other day.
It got the attention of one of the guys who has been saying he wants to buy a lathe for the last year or so...
It seems I've lured another victim into the Abyss. Heh heh heh... :D (I need the evil smiley with horns here...)

So I'm wondering what you think is the current best deal on a starter lathe and set of tools?

I'm pointing him toward a Rikon mini ($249) from Woodcraft with free shipping until the 29th, and a set of 8 HSS turning tools from Harbor Freight for $35. (In fact I might just buy this set to have a few more tools.)

What do you think? (I hope this question isn't violating any forum rules...)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Jim.....I have a Jet VS Mini but a lot of people here are turning on the Rikon and like it. The HF HSS tools have been recommended here quite often. One of the hardest skills to initially master is sharpening and that would be a good set to learn on.

Mark Pruitt
11-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I own both the Rikon Mini and the 8 piece HSS set from Harbor Freight. I think your co-worker would be hard pressed to find a better buy for getting started. The Jet VS Mini is good also, but the Rikon offers a 12" swing whereas the Jet is 10" I think. He might as well go for a chuck while he's at it. I have a Oneway Talon and have been thoroughly satisfied with it.

Martin Braun
11-22-2006, 1:27 PM
In no way do I mean to put the folks with Rikon's down, but recently I've heard some horror stories in other forums about tailstock misalignment, bad bearings, etc. Having said that, there is a run of Delta Midi's with bad bearings; I've also been told that the tailstock in the Jet's has a washer that will fail if you crank the TS to seat the drive spur instead of using a mallet. So maybe the moral of the story is to check it out as much as you can before you buy that particular unit.

I own a Delta Midi, but I recommend the JET to folks who inquire.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2006, 3:41 PM
Jim, I have the HF set and have been using them for a little over two years now. Can't beat them for the price! When they wear out I plan on getting the same set again. Also have to say that Ken brought up a good point about sharpening. I use the Wolverine system and it has helped me maintain bevels - once I figured out what I wanted to use.