PDA

View Full Version : I think a nice Binks gloat

Scott Coffelt
10-31-2003, 2:36 PM
I just bought a Binks 2001 with the 2 quart pressure cup for less than $20 at the local Goodwill. The cup needs a new guage and is in dire need of a mjor cleaning. The gun appears to be in real nice shape, so minor cleaning. I probably will replace the hoses.

It is a conventional gun versus a HVLP, but when I checked the web the gun goes for $160 and the pot goes for $180. So even with a few dolalrs and some elbow grease, I think I will be far ahead.

Now, anyone own the gun and what's your thoughts?

Todd Burch
10-31-2003, 3:51 PM
Nice score Scott!

I have a Binks 2001 1 quart siphon cup I bought in '86. It's a good gun. Be sure you figure out what needle/nozzle set you have and that it is appropriate for whatever you will be spraying. Even if yours is worn out or the wrong size, @ $70 for a replacement set, you're still ahead. I'd invest in a full rebuild kit too, including a gasket for the pressure cup. Also, I prefer a fluid gauge and an air gauge on the 2 quart cup - dual regulators. Six feet of hose would be good for most jobs. 4' is too short for general purpose.

I've shot Nitro lacquers, shellac, epoxies, metallics, primer surfacers, auto enamels, oil based enamels, toners, stains, precat lacquers, auto urethanes and even thinned out latex in mine. It keeps on ticking!

Todd.

Scott Coffelt
10-31-2003, 4:10 PM
Thanks. I have it apart right now being cleaned in thinner. I have buffed the housing and it looks real nice. I am getting ready to run up and get a kit, as the o-rings are a little bad. When at the store, I will check out some prices on the houses, etc. I'll have to look at the number again, but I think it is a 66 tip. It looks like a wide spray tip. I want to use for spraying furniture, it sounds like you have sprayed many things and materials. What recommended tip would you buy? How is the over spray with the gun?

Also, any idea where to locate a manual or pdf or something. I checked Binks site and didn't see anything, but will continue the search.

Todd Burch
10-31-2003, 5:01 PM
Scott, my tip, I think, is a #67, which is a large tip, as mine is a siphon. I always call experts when I need advice on tip size. And, if you talk to 3 people, you'll get 3 recommendations. Buy a tip appropriate for the material you will be spraying.

I have had good service from FinishingSystems.com in Wisconsin. They support what they sell and are patient enough with me when I ask stupid questions. Also, my local salesguys at different professional finishing stores are quick to help too. Check your yellow pages. Spraygunworld.com and homesteadfinishing.com are both good resources as well. Just about anyone at any place you call will be familiar with your gun and happy to assist you buying from them!

Overspray is terrible. Transfer rate is about 35% I think, unless it's windy, and then it's worse. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started using a reduced pressue HVLP gun (a Sata LM2000). When I think about how much $$ I'm blowing away in material, it hurts.

With your tip, you should be able to get anywhere from a tight round pattern through a 10"+ pattern.

Perhaps better than a manual (although that will be good for serving and maintaining your gun), look for a book or video (better) on spraying concepts, spraying techniques and troubleshooting spraying errors. I still learn everytime I spray.

Got a big enough compressor? Got that air filtered? You might find that the $20 gun will end up costing you a coule hundred $$ to rig up to use it!

Scott Coffelt
10-31-2003, 6:33 PM
I got a 25 gallon compressor and a good clean air hose, and an air filter. I have another gun, but its a cup type. Eclipse 78. I have sprayed cars several years back.

Little disappointed in finding out it has that much overspray. I still plan to buy a HVLP conversion gun someday.

The nice thing is I can get this baby working real smooth and then decide to sell it and move to a HVLP in the future.