PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Advice

Paul Nock
10-31-2003, 2:13 PM
I've got an opportunity to get a used Reliant 18" bandsaw, asking price $400. It's 2 h.p. and runs on 220. I'm pretty new to woodworking, and am wondering if it would be a better purchase than a new 14" Jet or Delta which are what I was originally looking at.

Also, any way to check blade tracking, or other things I should ask about? Thanks, Paul

Lee Schierer
10-31-2003, 3:59 PM
Fom most hobby woodworking, its probably kind of big, but for your purposes it may work just fine. Check to see that it runs and doens't make any weird noises like screaching or thumping. Blades will cost a bit more than a 14" saw too if that is a factor. The other question is do you have room for this size saw in your shop. Price seems to be okay if its in decent shape and runs well. I'd sure ask why the present owner is parting with it.

Phil Phelps
11-01-2003, 1:46 PM
Fom most hobby woodworking, its probably kind of big, but for your purposes it may work just fine. Check to see that it runs and doens't make any weird noises like screaching or thumping.

A lousy blade, weld on the blade, or both, can make great band saw seem to run improperly. Some welds have an extra tooth, and some don't align correctly. I've bought thousands of blades over the years and I'm tellin' you from experience.