PDA

View Full Version : PSI MMETER - Moisture Meter?

Matt Guyrd
11-22-2006, 8:31 AM
I came across this moisture meter on Amazon for $30. It is the PSI MMETER two-pin moisture meter.

Most of the reputable moisture meters are in the $100-$200 range. Does anybody own (or have knowledge of) this cheaper PSI meter? And if so, do you like it? Is it accurate?

Thanks!
Matt

Kent Fitzgerald
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Matt, I have a similar meter from the Tool Retailer That Shall Not be Named (but it starts with an H and ends with an F). I got it mostly to experient with, and I haven't yet checked it against the oven-dry method for absolute accuracy, but it seems to give consistent readings.

The limitation of these inexpensive meters is the lack of resolution. The PSI meter (better picture here (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mmeter.html)) has LEDs at 2% increments, which is fine for monitoring the rate of drying of fresh cut wood, but won't help much in the crucial under-8% range. You're also unlikey to get a species correction chart with any of these.

Finally, on my HF meter, the plastic case is thin and wouldn't stand up to much abuse. Maybe the PSI unit is better in this regard. The big buck meters are designed so you can drive the pins with some authority (some even have slide-hammer probes).

If you decide to spend more on a meter, read some reviews, because even some of the expensive ones are less accurate than you would hope.

Travis Porter
11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
I bought that meter. I would say it is fair. My shop is heated. I used it to test some cherry that had been in my shop for 3 years, no lights which is supposed to mean less than 6 percent moisture content. Tried it on some white oak that had been in my shop for about 6 weeks and it reads 6 to 8.

Would I buy it again? Undecided.