PDA

View Full Version : What you don't want for Christmas

John Branam
11-22-2006, 8:21 AM
It is the time of year when alot of us get requests from family for a list of things we would like for christmas and I thought it would be fun to start a list here of things that you may have gotten as a gift in the past that you hope to never get again. My contribution to the list, about 10 years ago a was given a bright (neon like) pink golf shirt, it sat folded in the bottom of a drawer for a couple of years until it made it way to goodwill having never been worn or having been taken out of the draw.

Rennie Heuer
11-22-2006, 8:59 AM
It is the time of year when alot of us get requests from family for a list of things we would like for christmas and I thought it would be fun to start a list here of things that you may have gotten as a gift in the past that you hope to never get again.

Hmmmmm. I'll try to keep my list under 100 items!

Too small sweaters
Really cheap tools:mad:
T shirts with 'sayings' on them
Wearable billboards (see above)
Gaudy ties
Pants that are not made of denim
Pants that are made of denim that are too short or, ah, not quite wide enough :(
Anything that can be defined as knick-knack and/or is meant to sit on a shelf
Hats
Books about anything other than woodworking:p
Gift cards to stores I'd never step foot in on my own
Pajamas
Cologne
Popcorn balls
etc. etc. etc........

Sorry, after 55 Christmases I've compiled quite a list.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 9:37 AM
Shirts without pockets...
Anything with a fragrance...
Neckties...

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2006, 9:42 AM
A 5 lb. can of popcorn balls.

Art Mulder
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Neckties...

Amen.

I don't even where ties to job interviews. (I have some very nice collarless "mandarin style" shirts)

I don't usually get things that I don't want, so I'm not sure what I'd even write here.

Doug Shepard
11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I even list a few of these on my Christmas list every year, such as:
NO GLOVES (I already have 3 or 4 pair from prior Christmases sitting in drawers waiting for my current pair to die)
NO SCARVES (Same story)
No Christmas Motif clothing

I think I'll One-Up Jim this year and put down 'Shirts without TWO Pockets'. I've noticed over the last year that I tend to leave the single pocket shirts hanging in the closet in favor of the 2-pocket shirts.

Derek Rose
11-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Fruit Cake

Al Willits
11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Thong underwear....I can definitely live with out that. :)

Either that or Bose HT equipment.

A years supply of Lutefisk I could probably live with out too...

Al

Dan Stuewe
11-22-2006, 11:58 AM
One year my lovely wife was so thrilled with the presents she bought me. As I remember every single item was a piece of clothing. I was kinda grumpy for a few days and finally had to break down and tell her that, while I probably needed the clothes, and I would get a lot of use out of them, a bunch of shirts and pants for work are not my idea of Christmas gifts. Both of us felt bad; her for not making me happy and me for making her feel sad. Of course we are both long over it, but I'll only see one or two articles of clothing under the tree from her (I still have in-laws) for the rest of my life.

As for other things, this year with my wife working full time on her business (i.e. we're a single income household), I really don't want anything expensive. :rolleyes:

Doug Jones from Oregon
11-22-2006, 1:28 PM
Divorce papers, once was enough for that particular "gift"

Doug

Travis Porter
11-22-2006, 6:57 PM
Hickory farms merchandise
Black and Decker battery operated c clamp
Battery operated tape measures

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2006, 7:17 PM
Any presents for my son that require assembly and that have 137 parts or more. DAMHIKT

Novelty gifts

Shirts with two pockets or less :D

John Hart
11-22-2006, 7:20 PM
One christmas, one of my daughters bought me a music box. It was pink, heart shaped, and a little ballerina twirlled around while it played some gawdawful tune.

She still has it.:rolleyes:

Jim Bell
11-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Fruitcake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Hatfield
11-23-2006, 9:10 AM

Al

Well that's a scary mental picture now isn't it??? :D :D :D :eek:

t

Joe Mioux
11-23-2006, 10:11 AM

Send them over to Tyler's house.

For me: the answer is everything. I don't want anything except some really good wine, beer and great meal with family at my house.

If I want a present, especially tool related, I will buy it during the course of the year.

Joe

Curt Fuller
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
About 20 or so years ago at a family Christmas party someone gave a gag gift of a game called "Whizzers". It was little floating targets that float in the toilet bowl and well you can figure out the rest. Anyway, that game has been getting passed around every year since and I haven't gotten it for a while. Hope this isn't my year.

Matt Meiser
11-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Black and Decker battery operated c clamp

Ahh, but have you seen their new battery powered adjustable wrench? :rolleyes:

For me, I don't want the cheesy trinket gifts that end up just cluttering up space until they get disposed of. My mom is great for that, though my brothers, SIL's, LOML and I kind of confronted her about that a few years ago.

Travis Porter
11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh yes. That wrench is going to be the rage this year. Another item that I do not want. Fortunately, LOML knows better, my parents do not.

Eddie Watkins
11-23-2006, 11:43 AM
About 20 or so years ago at a family Christmas party someone gave a gag gift of a game called "Whizzers". It was little floating targets that float in the toilet bowl and well you can figure out the rest. Anyway, that game has been getting passed around every year since and I haven't gotten it for a while. Hope this isn't my year.

Curt, I have to ask. Do you try them then pass them on or just pass them on? That could be a the worst gift ever depending on your answer:eek: .
Cheap tools is the thing I hate, mainly because I hate them wasting their money on something I won't use. I probably wouldn't use the Whizzers either:) but used Whizzers are definitely worse than cheap tools.

Eddie

Ted Miller
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
To tell you the truth, I like everything I get, because now that I am older it really is the thought that counts, wow, I guess I really am old now, can't believe I just said that, my mom would be proud...