PDA

View Full Version : Big table with big pics!!

Kristian Wild
11-22-2006, 1:19 AM
I'd like to share some pics of a table that I think has really nice proportions for being so big.

This is a dining room trestle table that I built at work last week for a client of ours. It is a whopping 120" long by 42" wide and is designed to seat 10 very comfortably and 12 with slightly less elbow room.

Although I certainly can't take any of the credit for the design of this table I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. It is the single most expensive project I've been entrusted with thus far, so that kinda makes me happy too.

The base is made of Western White Pine (many laminations) The braces attached to the underside of the top are hard maple as are the pegs which attach the braces to the base. The 1-3/4" thick top is reclaimed (recycled) Eastern White Pine from a barn in Ontario which was built somewhere between 150 and 200 years ago. The dovetail butterfly keys between the boards of the top are purely for estetics.

This was also my first attempt at breadboard ends. It took way longer than I had initially thought. Especially because the boards aren't completely flat or of a perfectly uniform thickness. What looks like through tenons in the end of the breadboard are actually rectangular plugs to hide the slotted screw holes.

The finish is minwax stain and lacquer. Plus a bit of artificial aging to give it that "been lovingly used for a hundred years look".

I hope you enjoy the shots. Maybe it'll inspire someone to try a similar one. Any comments are appreciated.

Kris

Ed Gibbons
11-22-2006, 5:10 AM
Great job....wish I could have been there to watch you make it....

Hopefully I will have your skills someday...

Great job!

Byron Trantham
11-22-2006, 8:25 AM
Very nice! I appreciate the post. I have been asked to make a conference table and at this point I have no idea what they want and your table is a nice reference. Did you make those support posts? Really nice work.

Calvin Hobbs
11-22-2006, 8:27 AM
Kristian,

Great table. I like the way you finished it and it does look old.

Do you have any help in moving this monster around your shop? At least it looks like you have the space. I did a 48" x 90" table earlier this year and just lugging the top around was tough. And mine was only 5/4.

Also, how did you joint and join the top? Jointer or handplane?

You did a great job and everything looks top notch... Were your clients pleased?

Thanks for the post and it's always good to see furniture posted on the creek to compete will all the bowls.

Cal

Kristian Wild
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah I made the posts. Since our bandsaw is only a little delta 14" with 6" of resaw I made each post in four quarters, cut the profile into two sides of each quarter as well as dadoed the channels for the threaded rod which runs all the way through. Then the four parts were joined together and shaped with the drive pully of our edge sander and by hand.

I definately had alot of help moving it around. The top weighs close to 200lb and the base is probably just over 100lb.

Boards were edge jointed on our 8" jointer. This was quite an adventure...

Haven't heard if the clients are pleased yet. It just got packaged up for it's trip to Calgary yesterday. God I hope the movers are careful with it.

Thanks for your interest

Kris

Bruce Page
11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Kristian, beautiful execution and the eastern white pine is lovely! The proportions look perfect!

Robert Goodwin
11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
So how did you go about getting the rustic weathered look on the base. Looks very nice!!

Blaine Harrison
11-22-2006, 11:31 AM
The table looks great and I agree that the proportions are very nice.

You said the dovetail inlays are aesthetic only, but I'd like to know how you made them. Do you have a template for the keys?

Nice execution of a good design!

Blaine

Jim W. White
11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Awesome Kristian! ...well done all the way around.

Tom Henry
11-22-2006, 11:53 AM
WOW...very nice...Great job!

Jerry Strojny
11-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Fantastic. It looks great and it seems to have been a very rewarding project to boot. Great job.

Mike Hill
11-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Kris: Beautiful job and the finish is outstanding for that type of wood and table.
Mike

Ralph Barhorst
11-22-2006, 1:02 PM
I really like the looks of your table.
Are the thru tenons on the breadboard ends real or for decoration?
If they are real, how did you compensate for wood movement between the table top and the breadboard ends?

Bruce Page
11-22-2006, 2:20 PM
I really like the looks of your table.
Are the thru tenons on the breadboard ends real or for decoration?
If they are real, how did you compensate for wood movement between the table top and the breadboard ends?

What looks like through tenons in the end of the breadboard are actually rectangular plugs to hide the slotted screw holes.
Kris

:rolleyes: :D

Lincoln Myers
11-22-2006, 3:04 PM
I like it a lot! Nice work, you SHOULD be proud.

Thanks for sharing.

-Linc

Kristian Wild
11-22-2006, 8:29 PM
The rustic look (our shop's specialty) is achieved by a top secret process of staining, then spraying whatever colour you're using (sometimes two or three different layered colours) followed up by rubbing through the colour back to the stained wood with steel wool on all of the areas that would traditionally see wear like corners or around drawer knobs. Then we put a clear coat over top. This can be done as a hand-painted or a sprayed on finish depending on the look you're going for. All of the nicks and dings are just that. The tricky part is to not make the artificial years of hard use look too contrived.

I've been taught to do this finish but our finisher, who is quite the magician, actually did this one.

Thanks for the comments,

Kris

OK not so top-secret...

Zahid Naqvi
11-22-2006, 8:50 PM
real nice job, specially with the tressle legs.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 9:04 PM
Beautiful table!

Howie French
11-22-2006, 9:04 PM
very Nice, I really like it !

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 9:43 PM
Very well executed table! It looks terrific! A lot of nice details very well executed.

Jason Tuinstra
11-24-2006, 7:41 PM
Kristian, excellent job on this table. You can certainly be proud of it, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure the client will be a very satisfied customer.

Gail O'Rourke
11-25-2006, 4:55 PM
It will really put it in perspective when the 12 chairs are placed around it. This is a gorgeous table, love the trestle and nice details with the keys.
Awesome Kris.