PDA

View Full Version : Hope chest out of 2x4 maple ply

Ed Blough
11-22-2006, 12:55 AM
A local dealer near me has a bunch of 2ftx4ft 3/4 inch maple ply cut offs. He had an order for 4x6 and cut the 2ft off and is now selling them for $9 a piece.

Price is great when you consider a full sheet runs $50 or more.

I know in my future I'm going to have to build my two granddaughters hope chests and I was wondering if anyone had or seen any good plans for building a hope chest using ply in 2ft by 4ft pieces or smaller.

Steve Roxberg
11-22-2006, 9:28 AM
Would the grain on that piece run the wrong direction? Every blanket chest I see the grain is running horizontal to the floor. From what you describe the grain would be running along the 2' direction or vertically.

I also don't think $9 dollars a piece is a very good deal. That's only $36 dollars a sheet down from what you say is normally $50. That's only a 25% markdown, and I assure you his cost is probably next to nothing. Just my opinion.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 9:28 AM
Splined mitered corners come to mind since it's plywood. It will give you the continuous board look.

Ed Blough
11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Would the grain on that piece run the wrong direction? Every blanket chest I see the grain is running horizontal to the floor. From what you describe the grain would be running along the 2' direction or vertically.

I also don't think $9 dollars a piece is a very good deal. That's only $36 dollars a sheet down from what you say is normally $50. That's only a 25% markdown, and I assure you his cost is probably next to nothing. Just my opinion.

Your right about the grain and thanks!
On the price you need to buy more ply. The price usually get higher if you buy less than a full sheet. Same sized piece in HD in birch is $20

Ed Blough
11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Splined mitered corners come to mind since it's plywood. It will give you the continuous board look.

I think the grain problem Steve mentioned would nix that idea.

I was thinking rail and stiles with flat 2x2 panels. But the 3/4 thickness would require either splines, or to have tongues cut into each panel.

I also thought of using the panels as is and then on the corners apply moulding to make it look like a semi rail and stile panel construction.

I'm wondering how the grain would look because Steve is right it would probably be running in the 2ft direction.

Jim DeLaney
11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
...I'm wondering how the grain would look because Steve is right it would probably be running in the 2ft direction.

Ed,
I doubt the blanket chests will be more than 2 feet wide or deep, so splitting a panel and using it in the 'proper' grain direction shouldn't be a problem. If you frame each ply panel with solid wood, and use two panels on the front and back (and maybe the top, too), it ought to make a pretty nice looking chest.

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 4:07 PM
There is no "rule" that says the grain must run horizontal...admittedly, most of us would build it that way, but the option is there to be creative!

JayStPeter
11-22-2006, 7:19 PM
If you made each side a flat panel in a frame it would look right. You would have to add some hardwood to make it work.