PDA

View Full Version : Shop taking shape, bit by bit...

Neville Stewart
11-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Well after much work, windows & doors cut out, the stucco finish is going on. I'll be "weathering" it in soon, get the power turned on, and then move in the tools.
Heres a few pics, one of my sweetie, planing some trim for the windows,stucco application. All after many many weekends of work. Neville

Dave Ray
11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Looks to be coming along nicely. Please give a little more info, like size of shop, construction problems, tips. Naturally we need more pic's, the one's you sent are great. I really like what I see.

Anthony Anderson
11-22-2006, 1:53 AM
Very nice Neville. But like Dave said more pictures and details, it helps me live vicariously:). That is going to be one awesome shop. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. Regards, Bill

Jim Becker
11-22-2006, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the followup, Neville! It's looking good!

Neville Stewart
11-22-2006, 7:19 PM
The shop is 40 x 40 x 18, with a 10 tall lean to on one side ( included in the ( 40x40) with two "offices" ( 1 ABOVE THE OTHER ) and the rest an open plan shop. Used a metal subframe for expanse and used SIP(Structural Insulated Panels ) panels for walls & roof. Cut out windows & doors with a Prazi Beam cutter - worked out great. Bought lots of unused windows & doors on Craigslist as I was able to use whatever size I found. Saved a bundle. eg two double paned sliding doors 6' x 8' new - $ 50 each.
Main doors at either end will be 10x10.
Not sure exactly where things will go yet, but I did place lots of outlets in the concrete. I will AC my spot on the ground floor & the office above. lower will be hand tool area & assembly. I hope to enclose an area apx 10 X 20 for a shopbot, and maybe other noisy things, Carvewright, compressor etc.
PIC 1 will build hand tool & office above - lots of windows by scaffold.
PIC 2 better view of windows
PIC 3 proposed Shopbot area on right, I may enclose it with leftover SIP cutouts.
PIC 4 view towards other end ( front )
PIC 5 view out my work room & office, will have a covered porch out there. I'm about 15 mins. from 6th st. if you know Austin.

Travis Porter
11-22-2006, 7:33 PM
Very nice. Would love to have a shop that size myself.

Dave Ray
11-22-2006, 7:51 PM
Neville, thanks for additional pic's and info. This is a beautiful shop in the making, love all that space. Even jealous of your view. I like the way you bring all sorts of things together. Please us informed as to your progress. Happy Turkey Day

lou sansone
11-22-2006, 9:52 PM
very nice shop. looks like it is going to take advantage of good natural light. best wishes
lou

Neville Stewart
11-22-2006, 11:42 PM
This is a view towards the "office". This will be a covered deck that overlooks that nice view. There will be a small BBQ and a wee fridge aswell :-)

Neville Stewart
12-07-2006, 6:23 PM
They just started painting today & got two walls done, $900 well spent. It would have taken me a month of weekends.

lou sansone
12-07-2006, 7:26 PM
nice colors
what is the surface that was painted ?

lou

Neville Stewart
12-07-2006, 7:30 PM
If I understand you correctly, the SIP walls are covered in stucco.

John Miliunas
12-07-2006, 8:16 PM
"Shop", my foot! With all that expanse and all those windows, I'm thinking "Studio" better describes it! :) Wow, Neville, that's one very impressive area. Can't wait to see it all together w/the tools and such. Be sure to keep us updated! Well done. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 8:23 PM
WOW! That looks outstanding! 'Amazing what a painter that knows what they are doing can do...and in far less time than most of us... wow! Excellent choice in colors, too. Goes well with your "Green" construction building!

Neville Stewart
12-07-2006, 9:37 PM
Yes, Studio... I like that might allow me to charge 30% more :-)
actually I've been playing around with names, maybe I'll add "Studio" now.

Carol Reed
12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Nice digs. I once owned a ShopBot. What do you plan to make with yours?

Neville Stewart
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, I'm building a new house out of an old barn and I think I would like to make cool doors and such for the house, & who knows maybe even sell some :-)

Chuck Wood
12-08-2006, 8:45 AM
"Shop", my foot! With all that expanse and all those windows, I'm thinking "Studio" better describes it! :) Wow, Neville, that's one very impressive area. Can't wait to see it all together w/the tools and such. Be sure to keep us updated! Well done. :) :cool:

WOW!!!!!!!!! is exactly right! VERY NICE! You can't hide money! LOL:D

John Bailey
12-08-2006, 9:28 AM
Great lookin' shop Neville. I second the motion to keep us posted.

John