PDA

View Full Version : Another newb spinning headfirst into the Vortex...

Pat Doble
11-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I've been lurking and enjoying this site for a couple of months now, took a class at WC in October and was instantly hooked. I want to thank all of you for the helpful information and knowledge shared here - it's an amazing resource. I'll try to get some pictures up next week, as of now I've only got a few 'finished' pieces - plenty more in the rough waiting their turn (I'm using the dish soap method - no failures so far...) - but deer season has taken it's toll on lathe (Rikon) time - but has provided plenty of time for staring at trees wondering what's waiting inside. And thanks to Craigslist, I've got quite a pile of box elder, ash and poplar to go along with maple from the FIL's land - all of it trying to pull me farther in with the constant - "Bandsaw...., Bandsaw...." I hear when I look at it - so the G0555 may be in my near future.

Thanks again, and I'll definitely be around.

Pat

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Welcome to Creek Pat. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I am a new turner myself of about a year next month. I have a big C-man lathe and the Rikon. Love the Rikon. I also have the G0555 and you can't go wrong there with the proper blade. Have fun and can't wait to see some pictures.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek Pat! You Spin Crack Addict you!...........:eek: :rolleyes: :D I should talk.....my shop isn't finished but I'm turning!:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Welcome to SMC, can't wait to see some of your turnings!

Corey

Brett Baldwin
11-22-2006, 1:27 PM
Welcome Pat.

Tyler Howell
11-22-2006, 3:07 PM
Welcome Homie,
There are some great creekers in the hood.
We get together for one reason or another every now and then.
Another Great local source for info is MN WW Guild.
A very talented bunch.
Glad to have you wading in the creek.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2006, 3:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Pat! Looking forward to seeing some of your work. Best of luck on your deer hunting!

Mark Pruitt
11-22-2006, 3:27 PM
Welcome, Pat. Rikon here too. Fairly new turner myself, but it's fun learning! (Well, catches aren't fun but thankfully I don't have many.) Looking forward to all you have to share. Great bunch here.

BTW, the bandsaw you mentioned gets good reviews, but thinking more long term, you might be better off getting a bigger one. But then, I'm very good at spending other people's money!:D

John Hart
11-22-2006, 3:31 PM
Welcome Pat! Ya know...you could always take a special backpack deer hunting and pick up burls and limbs and whole trees while you're out there stompin'. ;)