PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection

mike malone
10-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi. Has anyone had any success with dust collection in a small shop using delta or jet medium priced units and 4-6" ducting?

Am trying to avoid going to an expensive $1k Oneida cyclone (altho probably inevitable). Any advice welcome. thanks
mike

Robert Waddell
10-31-2003, 1:28 PM
I bought a Jet 1100CK two weeks ago. It seems to be plenty for a small one man shop. (I'm limited by the fact that I can only run one machine at a time due to having just two hands.) I've got it hooked up to only my planer and table saw at present via 4 inch flex hose. It picks up approximately 96% off of the 13in planer with the line open to the TS. I'm going to go to 6 inch ducts and run it to my other machines when I get some time and money. If my memory is right you gain about 100 actual cfm's by going up to the 2hp model.

Jay Knoll
11-01-2003, 4:03 PM
Mike

I just finished building a Wood magazine cyclone -- Penn industries sells the blower (1 1/2 horse 850 cfpm and a kit of hoses clamps filters etc.

It uses one sheet of plywood,
I splurged and had a local sheet metal shop do the metal work for me, it took them 3 1/2 hours with all their equipment, would probably have taken me 2 days

I hung it on the wall yesterday, haven't hooked it up, but it seems like it is going to do the trick

Jay

Don Abele
11-01-2003, 5:13 PM
Mike, I'm in the Navy and I move every couple of years. So a hard-plumbed system would not be very cost effective for me. I have a Jet 1100 DC (with 2 micron after-market canister) and use 4" spiral flex for ALL my runs. My longest run is about 25 feet. I only run 1 tool at a time and put my blast gates as close to the wyes as possible to minimize pulling on empty hose. My highest dust producing tools are closest to the DC.

I know this is an extremely inefficient system, not only using 4" but spiral as well, but 4 years ago 6" spiral was very expensive, and assembling and reassembling hard piping every time I move is not very practical.

With that said, my system does an EXCELLENT job at getting the vast majority of the dust. If I am cutting a lot of fine-dust producing stuff I'll see some dust on my horizontal surfaces afterwards. But for general day to day cutting, it stays very clean. Knowing the limitations of my system, if I'm cutting stuff that I know is going to exceed my DC capacity (like MDF) I wear a respirator and make sure the door to the house is shut. If it's a nice day outside, I'll open the garage bay doors to increase air flow through the shop.

Based on 4 years of use, observations, research, etc...I know the DC1100 is a very efficient collector for single tool operation. Ideally it should be using 6" hard plumbed lines with a minimal amount of 4" spiral connecting to the tools. When I stop moving, this is what I'll upgrade to (or a cyclone if the money is available). But until then, I have no complaints about my current set-up.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Evertsen
11-01-2003, 5:20 PM
pennstate has come out with a economy ductwork line of pipe,,,,,the is the same ga. has furnance pipe but all the wyes and fittings,,,

william ward
11-05-2003, 3:48 PM
Hi. Has anyone had any success with dust collection in a small shop using delta or jet medium priced units and 4-6" ducting?

Am trying to avoid going to an expensive $1k Oneida cyclone (altho probably inevitable). Any advice welcome. thanks
mike

check out the Grizzley G1029 (price & function)

you need a 12 " impeller and at least 2 hp
duct it 6"

With the Grizzley, you can use the fan on a 20" home built cyclone per bill pentz's plans for ~900 cfm (you need at least 800 cfm for some tools) later and avoid dumping the bags so often. then you could use the bags or add a filter for filtration.

convert the bag to something under 1 micron filtration or you will be reentroducing the fine dust (under 30 micron) into the air and making things worse instead of better.

American Filtration offers a bag that will increase CFM by reducing back pressure and give you under .5 micron filtration for about $85

Jay Albrandt
11-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi Mike,

If you are even considering an Onieda system, then you must look at Bill Pentz's web site. He is the guru when it comes to dust collection for the hobbiest, and I think his information will change your mind.

Bill has designed a cyclone separator and blower unit that you can build for a lot cheaper than an Onieda system....AND it out performs the Onieda. AT one time, many here at SMC had purchased Bill's cyclone kit from Terry Hatfield (another SMC member) who was selling kits that were already cut. Terry is no longer selling these kits (that's the rumor anyway) but don't dispair!

Bill's associate, Clarke Echols is selling Bill's design in a kit that is easy to assemble and actually has some major improvements over the original design. I am just finishing mine and I will have some pictures of it in a couple of days.

Feel free to email me directly if you have specific questions

jayalbrandt@hotmail.com

Good Luck

Jay

John Miliunas
11-07-2003, 8:13 AM
pennstate has come out with a economy ductwork line of pipe,,,,,the is the same ga. has furnance pipe but all the wyes and fittings,,,

You may also want to look at this site, courtesy of Larry at Woodsucker:
http://www.kencraftcompany.com/default.htm

Looks to be very competative pricing and I will be trying them out with my own upcoming DC system. (Via the Woodsucker Cyclone, of course!)

On another note, if you don't already have one, I would seriously consider either purchasing or making an air filter unit to hang in the shop, as well. On my old system (Bridgewood 2hp w/4" PVC ducting), I was able to achieve some pretty good collection, but those minute particles still hit the air and the cleaner really, really helps filter that out in a hurry. :cool: