PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Christmas list

Doug Shepard
11-21-2006, 9:21 PM
Well it's that time of year again. I'm going to get pestered by relatives Thursday to cough up a Christmas wish list and so far I've only been able to think of two WW related items:
A set of transfer punches from LV
A Wixey Angle Thingy
Thought I'd see what's on other folks lists. Maybe I'll get some ideas of some other things I can add. If I dont load up the list with tools I end up getting more gloves/scarves/sweaters that I dont really need.

John Piwaron
11-21-2006, 9:42 PM
I don't usually put tools on my wish list. Sounds funny, huh?

In my family, the items I want are either too expensive or too particular for anyone to get.

The one thing I *have* put on my list is gift card(s) to Woodcraft. The I get to decide.

Besides, wifey has just gone along with a new TS, miter gauge and air cleaner purchase. What more could I want at this time? ;)

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 9:44 PM
I'm like John...tools and shop things come out of my budget 'cause I'm way too particular. But I might ask for a "gift certificate" to Hearne or something.... :D

Nancy Laird
11-21-2006, 9:46 PM
Doug, dig out all of your catalogs, from WWS, Woodcraft, etc., and go through them s-l-o-w-l-y with a highlighter in your hand. Mark the things you'd LIKE to have and turn down the corner of the page. Then when someone, like LOYL, asks what you want, just hand them the stack of catalogs and say "Here's my Christmas list." You might want to get multiple copies of certain catalogs, just to be on the safe side.

That's what my hubby does and although I usually add something not on his "list", he usually gets just about everything on it. He knows what he's getting, but he doesn't know exactly what he's getting.

I also do the same thing to him with clothing, jewelry, and pottery catalogs. Makes things a lot easier for both of us, and we don't end up getting each other something that we don't want or like.

Nancy

glenn bradley
11-21-2006, 9:49 PM
For those that insist on buying me something and think gift cards are too impersonal (Oh how wrong they are) I take advantage of the Wish Lists that Woodcraft, Rockler, Lee Valley and others make available on their websites. You just give people the URL in an email and they locate your list via your email address.

As for MY list:

8" jointer (Oh Santa Please!)
a Real bandsaw
a Real drill press
a better DC
Bunches and bunches -o- board feet of WOOD!!!!

Oh sorry, I lost the purpose of the thread. Doo-thingies that I love that don't cost an arm and a leg:

Caliper that measures in 64th's
a good compass
Lee Valley saddle square
MJ Splitter
Veritas MKII sharpening jig
More of Woodcraft's $5 router bits (they're so cheap you don't have to sharpen them)

these are just some $5 to $50 goodies that I am sooo glad I got. Now if I could just get rid of the stuff that seemed like a good idea but now just suck up drawer space.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2006, 9:50 PM
This is a touchy subject in my house. I'm pretty practical and pretty particular. I like specific kinds of music and tools too! The last couple of years folks have been getting me gift certificates at HD. Now.....I don't go there much. Not much there in the way of turning tools or materials. Now...Woodcraft.....Craft Supplies.......Packard Woods....Berea Woods....the list goes on.

Anyway, this year my Christmas present is an airplane ticket to Illinois at Christmas. My wife has spent the last 3 Christmas's in Illinois at my insistance due to her parent's aging and illnesses. Her Dad's passing last year led to a pledge between the LOML and her older brother. One of them will be with my MIL for Christmas every year. Last year Sharon's brother was there. This year is Sharon's rotation. I don't want to spend another Christmas alone ....so I'm going and it's a chance to visit my Mom in southern Indiana too!

Jim O'Dell
11-21-2006, 9:58 PM
Books!! I've got 3 on my list as we speak, and one other item I don't een remember right now. Jim.

Brad Kimbrell
11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I picked up a couple of "wish list" items yesterday at Manny's Woodworkers here in Lexington.

A Robert Sorby 3/8" thick left-side rounded scraper and an Ellsworth Gouge that is longer than any tool that I've ever handled.

Already turned two boxes and getting started on a new hollow-form tonight. (Vacation this week)

Pics to come later - just learning but these two $75 turning tools have increased my enjoyment several fold! **GLOAT** :D :D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I was hoping for a class at Marc Adams again this year!;)

Dan Drager
11-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I juat buy what I want / need knowing how much $ is allocated for my gifts and act suprised when I open the wrapped gift! This year I'll be surprised by a vacuum press and a few books on veneering.

Martin Shupe
11-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Jim,

CH Becksvoort is teaching his Shaker clock class at Kelly Mehler's school in July next summer. You probably don't "need" to take the course, but it would be neat to finally meet you. I have admired your work for years.

A week with CHB in Kelly's woodshop is a dream vacation for me!

Doug Shepard
11-22-2006, 7:06 AM
Thanks for some good ideas. I hadn't thought about books either - I may have to see what's out there. As far as being too particular tool-wise, that's not a problem. The way Christmas lists work around my family, they generally work somewhat like a gift registry. Everyone lists some things they'd like including catalog nbr or model nbr, how much the item costs, who sells them (including the 800 phone nbr). It's left up to the buyers to coordinate amongst themselves to avoid duplicate buys. Nobody ever gets everything on their list, but it's a shove in the right direction. At least you dont end up with a set of WalMart Chinese tools when what you really wanted was a specific tool from Woodcraft/LV/LN/Rockler/etc.

Bob Childress
11-22-2006, 7:46 AM
A C-12 cordless drill with all the chucks. ;) :)

Or maybe just world peace. About as much chance of one as the other. :(

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-22-2006, 8:14 AM
with a maintainance package please.

Byron Trantham
11-22-2006, 8:20 AM
I keep a list year around. If I need it and buy it comes off the list. I am pretty tooled out. Things I want now are "nice to have" but not necessary and usually expensive. Lie Nielson comes to mind. I'm not proud though - anything is nice. 1,000, #8, 1 1/4" square drive screws, an out feed stand, large Kreg clamp, etc. I try to buy things from Amazon so I keep a wish list and my relatives know where it is an how to use it. For those things that I can't list there my wife emails the other items to everyone and they coordinate what they are going to buy - or not!:eek: Ends up being a surprise and the price range usually allows everyone to buy something they can afford and I get something I want. Being retired ties are NOT and option!:D

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2006, 9:41 AM
Oh, thought of the other item, an old style hand crank pencil sharpener. Hat having to walk to the house to get a good point on the pencil !! Jim.

Steve Hayes
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
The UPS guy already delivered one. A Dewalt 788 scroll saw. Can't open it till Christmas though. Boy what a wife!!

Al Willits
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
""""""""
That's what my hubby does and although I usually add something not on his "list", he usually gets just about everything on it. He knows what he's getting, but he doesn't know exactly what he's getting.
"""""""""

Just about everything he wants???????
My god women, you ever get divorced please let me know.....:D :D :D

Actually, I'm also in that group that's a bit paticular about what tools they have and Lori usually just asked which ones I'd like and goes from there.
I give her a list and she gives me one.
Plus one or two that's not on the list and it all usaually works out well.

What do I want?
Just started this hobby, so what don't I want, would be a shorter list.
But for starters, a chisel set, Bosch Palm router, clamps, belt sander, and assorted hand tools would be a starter.

Bit early maybe, but I hope all ya have a save and well holiday season, merry Christmas and happy New Year.

Al ...who thinks its still ok to wish someone a merry X-mas

Fred Woodward
11-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty particular when it comes to tool selection and purchase and LOML knows it. Gift Certificates are nice...if they are to some store you frequent. A gift certificate for Amazon would be great for me. :D

Seth Poorman
11-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Wife just gave me the Ok for a used Powermatic 66 table saw for my X-mas present:D , I always thought it would be nice to have my unisaw on one end of the extention table and a PM66 on the other end.
This would work good because my extention table is 8 1/2' ft. I can keep my dado set up in one and regular blade in the other..

Billy Chambless
11-22-2006, 10:43 AM
DW618B3E

In fact, SWMBO and I are going to to the Orange Borg and pick it up in just a few minutes!

Art Mulder
11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm like John...tools and shop things come out of my budget 'cause I'm way too particular

Yeah I'm picky too. I try to provide detailed lists, but for some reason I just don't get the items on my list... :rolleyes:

Bob Nelson
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I buy small stuff for my mom to give me (she doesn't drive) drill bits, router circle cutting jig, foam brushes.

I send my sister direct links to web sites so there's no confusion.

But, like a lot of the other people here......most of the stuff I want costs too much. Anyways, those Laguna 18" Bandsaws are hard to wrap

Lee DeRaud
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for some good ideas. I hadn't thought about books either - I may have to see what's out there.Let's see...next Tuesday, there's new books from Crichton, Koontz, and Hillerman...already got the new King and Patterson, so take them off the list...will the 2006 "Formula One Year In Review" be out by Christmas?

Man does not live by wood alone.:cool:

Derek Rose
11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't mind a table saw. I just barely finished building my first workbench using a circular saw, and now I need bigger tools to clutter it up.

lou sansone
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
a martin t -60 or 72 would be nice
lou

Allen Bookout
11-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I heard my wife on the phone talking to one of our daughters and she was tell her not to bother as everything that I wanted she couldn't afford. I am sure that all of the kids will get the same message so I suppose that there is no need for me to make out a list.

That's what happens to a person when they get greedy.

I guess that I will just make some Merry Christmas tags and hang them on some of my expensive tools.

Allen

paul aubin
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
i like most of you are very particular on tools and stuff i want and use. I also have a new house and the deal with the wife is if i can buy the tool cheaper then paying to have it done i get the tool.

My wife and i both come from large families so the gift buying can get out of hand so we limited it a few years ago

On the in-laws side of the family we all select a charity and put the names in a hat and choose the on that gets the donation for that year. each family contributes what they can afford. (my company also doubles my portion).

On my side we all get together a few weeks before Christmas and put packages together for a needy family (s) the kids wrap everything and write notes and we deliver them.

/paul

Mike Henderson
11-22-2006, 1:11 PM
A SawStop cabinet saw.

But santa's not likely to bring that - so I asked for socks.

Mike

Mark Pruitt
11-22-2006, 1:22 PM
I'm thinking about buying my wife a Big Lathe for Christmas.:D Of course she will then use it to make an urn for my cremains.:eek: :eek: :eek:

JayStPeter
11-22-2006, 2:15 PM
I'm pretty particular about everything I want, so my list is always very specific. Everyone appreciates it that way. All my relatives and inlaws get the LV catalog now.
As for tools, this year I put LN chisels and a veritas shoulder plane. Also asked for some sennheiser sport headphones for workouts and a corvette (my 40th is a few weeks before xmas, so mid-life crisis time ;)).

Tim Morton
11-22-2006, 3:40 PM
http://i10.tinypic.com/44u2la1.jpg

Mike Henderson
11-22-2006, 5:01 PM
Also asked for some sennheiser sport headphones for workouts and a corvette (my 40th is a few weeks before xmas, so mid-life crisis time ;)).
As an old man who has been down a few paths, let me comment that wanting a sports car is better than owning a sports car - except for the first week or so.

Mike

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 5:35 PM
I really don't need anything,,,,,its a weird feeling , I guess. I just wish for health and happiness in our quickly growing family. I don't seem to get much for the holidays anymore....the family just figures if I needed someting I probably already bought it for myself:rolleyes: and.....that is most likely the truth;)

Glen Blanchard
11-22-2006, 5:58 PM
I'm formulating my list which I shall give my wife. I am about to add to the list a Jointech Smart Miter. Pulled into San Antonio today for a Thanksgiving visit with the in-laws and stopped by the Jointech facility on the way to take a good look at the Smart Miter. That things looks really sweet. I think it will top my list.....that is if I can resist from buying one for myself sooner.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-22-2006, 6:02 PM
Or a new H&K or a Beretta. Can't ever have too many of those.

Brad Kimbrell
11-22-2006, 6:52 PM

I'll be there in the Lon Schleining Workbench class in June Jim. Hope you enjoy your choice as well!

JayStPeter
11-22-2006, 7:31 PM
As an old man who has been down a few paths, let me comment that wanting a sports car is better than owning a sports car - except for the first week or so.

Mike

Naah, I've had a sports car or bike of some sort since college. I'm considering selling my current sportbike in favor of something I can use a little more. Age is making the crouched position and vibration a little tough to handle for long. Unfortunately, 10 year old sportbikes aren't worth enough to get something decent with 4-wheels.

Travis Porter
11-22-2006, 7:37 PM
LOML for some reason does extremely well buying me tools IMO. Unfortunately, we have agreed to seriously limit our spending as we both went overboard on birthdays. I cannot complain as I got a 3 HP Delta shaper for mine which was waaaay more than I would have believed.

I will probably put down a few small tools like the Starrett fractional calipers, wixey gauges, etc and only expect to get a couple of items at most as I think our dollar limit is 100. Oh well.

Gary Keedwell
11-22-2006, 7:40 PM
Go for the sports car. Back in the 80's when I was aproaching my 40th, I bought a red 2-seat, Toyota MR11 and I had a ball for about 6 years. Still have the picture in my tool box that I still look at fondly.
Man, that car could rock!!!!

Gary K.