PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 Question

Ken Garlock
11-21-2006, 8:42 PM
First off, installing a competitive browser is not an option.

Several days ago I installed IE 7, and I am quite happy with it(once I learn where everything as been moved.) In particular I like the tabs for keeping quick access to multiple sites.:cool:

One problem I have run into, here at the creek, is that when I try to insert a link in a reply to a post, I get a nasty-gram about an attempt to open a script window has been detected. The message looks like a version of the pop-up blocker. I then have to 'allow' the temporary use of the script. This happens with every attempt to put a link in a message post.

OK, now the question as if you haven't already guessed. How do I defeat this 'feature' without turning off pop-up filtering? :mad:

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2006, 9:05 PM
It sounds like Microsoft have gone in the other direction now it is too secure. But to answer you question I have no clue how to do that. Its too bad you can't use Firefox as it seems to be the ideal browser. :)

Jon Fowler
11-22-2006, 6:58 AM
Ken

When I attempt to insert a link it asks me to temporarily allow the activex component and once I allow it everything appears to work normally and I don't get prompted again unless I close IE7. If that does not help send me an e-mail and I will send you some screenshots of my IE7 settings. I am running this on a corporate laptop with some serious security lock downs so if mine works almost anyone elses should be working also.

Larry Browning
11-22-2006, 8:54 AM
First off, installing a competitive browser is not an option.

Just curious, why is a "competive browser" like say... Firefox not an option?

Frank Fusco
11-22-2006, 9:54 AM
I'm guessing not using Firefox is a personal choice. It is for me. I figure when 98% of the worlds computers use IE, there is probably a good reason. Why screw around with something that has been on the market (or given free) for a couple decades but still has not gained widespread popularity. Isn't it the Yugo of browsers? Like I said, why screw around? I'll stick with what is proven and what works.

Ken Garlock
11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Just curious, why is a "competive browser" like say... Firefox not an option?

Hi Larry,

I am sure that Firefox is an excellent product, but for ease of maintenance and consistency I prefer to stay with M/S. Internet Explorer and Outlook have been serving me quite well since before 2000.

Derek Rose
11-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Try this:

Open your Internet Options

Scott Donley
11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
It is for me. I figure when 98% of the worlds computers use IE, there is probably a good reason. .I am sure that if everytime you bought new tires they came with a free Chevy, most people would be driving Chevy's :D

Curt Harms
11-22-2006, 2:38 PM
I'm guessing not using Firefox is a personal choice. It is for me. I figure when 98% of the worlds computers use IE, there is probably a good reason. Why screw around with something that has been on the market (or given free) for a couple decades but still has not gained widespread popularity. Isn't it the Yugo of browsers? Like I said, why screw around? I'll stick with what is proven and what works.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Chuck Wintle
11-22-2006, 2:44 PM
I recently switched to Firefox and, for me, the experience has been so good using it that going back to IE6 seems only a distant possibility. With FF Version 2 they seem to have it nailed so to speak although to be fair i have not yet tried IE7. I just think that FF is a smaller company that is doing a better job at the moment. One of MS's problems is its huge size. I think that is working against them right now.:D

JayStPeter
11-22-2006, 2:56 PM
I had so many problems clear up after switching to firefox that I haven't even considered upgrading my IE. Those who say "if it aint broke don't fix it", I agree. IE6 was broke, don't know about 7.
Still stuck with IE6 at work until they push me upgrades :rolleyes: .