PDA

View Full Version : Weekend striped bass fishing

Fred Voorhees
11-21-2006, 4:47 PM
Well, they always say that you can't fight Mother Nature and she gave us a bit of a time this weekend as we tried to rustle up some numbers of striped bass at the Jersey shore. Myself and a buddy headed to the Cape May, NY area to give some surf fishing for striped bass a go. We usually confine our fishing activities to fresh water, but we are always willing to experience any new fishing ideas. My youngest Brother Mark lives down there and does a bit of salt water fishing and the three of us decided to "fish the suds" - surf fish - this weekend.

Mother Nature has kept it a bit warmer than average in Jersey this Autumn and because of that, the ocean temps at the shoreline is not quite low enough for the bass to come ashore. Oh, the boats a few miles out were hammerin' them, but they have yet to come along the shore. We tried numerous places, in part trying to dodge a bit of "fishing unfreindly wind" and also on the advice of one or two bait and tackle shop owners. Friday my buddy managed to bring a throw-back striper to shore. The only thing I managed to hook that day was a fairly long eel in one of the back bays of the area. They say that God created all creatures -----not the eel, they are the work of the devil:D

We fished all day Saturday also and came up pretty empty. It was about fifteen minutes before darkness fell and I had a hit - set the hook and began to reel in. The fish turned toward me, rode in beneath a wave and got enough slack in the line that I couldn't catch up and he got away. RIGHT, that was my shot at landing my first striper and it got away. I guess the fishing gods were smilin' on me - 'cause within the next half hour to forty five minutes, I had another three or four bites, while my brother and my buddy, just eight feet to either side of me were getting none. Well, it was now pretty darned dark and I set the hook on another. I brought this one to shore and by the grace of the lighthouse behind us, my brother was able to snap a picture, but only when the lighthouse beam was pointing in our direction.

There is a good chance that in two weeks, we will be doing this again, hoping that the water has cooled down enough to bring the stripers along the shore.

That's the three of us relaxing by the surf with our poles. My buddy Larry shows off his first ever salt water striper and I am in the pitch black hoisting mine in the air.

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2006, 5:13 PM
Nice going!

Those are so much fun! Back when we lived in CA we used to catch them
(and tried for sturgeon) in the S.F. bay, they were darned good eating too. I'd bake them in foil with lemon and onion slices in the cavity. I think these days in the area we fished it's too polluted, I know they had mercury warnings in the late '80s and encouraged limits on how much you ate, and none for pregnant women. We caught them from boats, I tried surf fishing but never had any luck that way. Still fun though with good friends and an ice chest of food and drinks.

Are your waters still clean enough to eat the stripers all you want?

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 7:01 PM
Nice piece of Bass, Fred!! :D :D :D

Fred Voorhees
11-22-2006, 3:10 PM
Nice going!

Those are so much fun! Back when we lived in CA we used to catch them
(and tried for sturgeon) in the S.F. bay, they were darned good eating too. I'd bake them in foil with lemon and onion slices in the cavity. I think these days in the area we fished it's too polluted, I know they had mercury warnings in the late '80s and encouraged limits on how much you ate, and none for pregnant women. We caught them from boats, I tried surf fishing but never had any luck that way. Still fun though with good friends and an ice chest of food and drinks.

Are your waters still clean enough to eat the stripers all you want?
Joe, not sure on the subject of eating them. I'm a fresh water fisherman, through and through and not up on the salt water stuff. I was just there to enjoy the fishing with no intention of bringing any back. I have always tried to stay with the catch and release theory.

Lou Morrissette
11-22-2006, 3:42 PM
The big ones should be getting down your way any minute now, Fred. Water temps here on the Cape are getting around 50-55 degrees and chasing the big ones south. Good luck.

Lou

Joe Pelonio
11-22-2006, 3:49 PM
Joe, not sure on the subject of eating them. I'm a fresh water fisherman, through and through and not up on the salt water stuff. I was just there to enjoy the fishing with no intention of bringing any back. I have always tried to stay with the catch and release theory.
I too do catch and release if it's something that's fun to catch but I'm not crazy about eating. I also do a lot more fresh than salt. I just love to smoke trout though, and they have a hard time living through being caught and released compared to other fish. Some areas around here have a problem with squawfish. They were paying $.50 each bounty on them but encourage "catch and throw away" fishing. They are native but eat the juvenile salmon and trout and people don't like to eat them.

Curt Fuller
11-22-2006, 8:44 PM
I'm a long ways from the ocean, but here in Utah we fish for stripers at Lake Powell. They're a blast to fish for especially when they "boil" chasing the shad. But we also have a fish here called a "wiper". It's a hybrid cross between striped bass and white bass. They're stocked in Willard Bay which is a man made diked reservoir on the Great Salt Lake. The wipers are the absolute hardest hitting and hardest fighting fish pound for pound of anything I've ever caught. And great eating too!

Mike Tempel
11-23-2006, 7:32 AM
OK I am going to show my ignorance here. I wasn't aware that you could catch stripers in salt water. At least we don't around here. I live a stones throw from Galveston Bay (with a Roger Clemens arm and hurricane force winds at my back) and all we get are speckled trout, redfish, snapper, flounder, that sort of thing.
My parents live on a fresh water lake in east Texas so I do mostly freshwater fishing - when I have spare time which is usually about once every 5 years. Usually crappie and bass (white and big mouth) for us.
Nice fish and looks like fun. I really need to get out more..........