PDA

View Full Version : General Single Trunnion 14" bandsaw (90-150)

Steve Canada
11-21-2006, 3:35 PM
I've posted a few comments about my recently purchased 14" General Bandsaw. I bought it two weeks ago at the woodshow, and assembled it last weekend. This is my first bandsaw purchase.

Initially I thought the trunnion was hard plastic, but it looks like it is cast alluminim. I can live with that.

But after putting it all together, I am having reservations about the single right side mounted trunion. Basically it's only supported on one side of the bandsaw. Granted, it's bolted with 4 heavy bolts and is solid, when I loosen the release to adjust the angle, is sags slightly to the unsupported side, placing stress on the internal trunnion bolt.

It's also slightly difficult to adjust as I have to hold and raise the one side to release the pressure, while bent over and holding the other side for presice angle positioning.

Is this a common trunnion approach? I find it odd as even the lower model has trunnions on both sides.

Help re-assure me :confused: Should I even be concerned?
This is the saw:

http://www.general.ca/machines/gi/90/90150.jpg

Jacob Larsen
11-21-2006, 6:31 PM
I just got the Craftsman 14" in the last week and it's trunnion setup sounds the same. Cast aluminum on one side. It seem adequate to the task for me (especially for the price I paid). If I were looking for a top of the line saw, I would have gone with the Rikon and spent more than twice as much.

Steve Canada
11-21-2006, 6:48 PM
The Rikon is not available in Canada yet, and will be more then I paid for this one.

Doug Shepard
11-21-2006, 6:58 PM
Before I got my Minimax I had a Jet 14" BS. Didnt recall it having only one so I just checked their website. I'm pretty sure it's probably the same setup as Delta.

Joe Mioux
11-21-2006, 9:32 PM
That saw has been around for a long time. If there were problems with it, they probably would have surfaced by now. That is unless General has changed the trunion design.