PDA

View Full Version : Mudroom

Rob Bodenschatz
11-21-2006, 3:35 PM
This is what I've been working on, well, since last Thanksgiving. It's not fine woodworking but it's functional and I learned a lot in the process. It's our mudroom. Because the room is so small, I couldn't really get a great picture of it. I did everything you see here: Tile floor, bench (IKEA countertop), cubbies, beadboard, baseboards & painting. This first picture is the view as you walk in from the garage:

This is from the hallway on the other side:

You can't really see it but there are five cubbies and five hooks. We wanted a deep bench so the kids have a place to put their backpacks, etc. I'm probably going to add crown molding in the near future. That should finish it off.

Al Killian
11-21-2006, 3:48 PM
Looks good. We are going to inclose a porch next summer and making part into a mud room. Congrats are your great job.

Jerry Strojny
11-21-2006, 4:04 PM
Wow Rob,

That is so very close to what LOML wants. Except we don't have the "wing walls" to fit it inbetween. It will be self standing. It looks great. Hope you post some plans in the Project Plan Forum. Super Dude! :D

Robert Goodwin
11-21-2006, 5:00 PM
Just because it is painted, does not mean it is not Fine WW. This looks great, and gives me some ideas for a similar area in my house.

Keep up the good work.

Tom Henry
11-21-2006, 5:25 PM
Looks great... Now get that shop built... :D

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 6:45 PM
That looks GREAT!

Roy Wall
11-21-2006, 8:53 PM
Just because it is painted, does not mean it is not Fine WW. This looks great, and gives me some ideas for a similar area in my house.

Keep up the good work.

I agree totally! IT is a great fit and finish and looks terrific! Great job Robert!!

James Manning
11-21-2006, 9:03 PM
Looks like fine work to me, I am in the process now of getting my shop built and as soon as it is done LOML wants something just like this for our backdoor entrance area. All the kids come to our house and you have to step over bookbags and shoes to get in. I like the way you built yours and will definately borrow some ideas.

Keep up the good work...

Craig Walls
11-21-2006, 9:14 PM
That's very nice...neat. It looks perectly in place there which is a good thing.

Rich Gay
10-17-2007, 2:44 PM
This looks great and is just what we were looking for. Would you still have the plans you used? Sure would save me a lot of time and persuasion with my better half.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-17-2007, 3:25 PM
Plans? We don't need no stinkin' plans!!!

Here's the best I can offer:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36181&d=1144637957

Doesn't match the end result exactly but it's pretty close.

Jim Becker
10-17-2007, 9:47 PM
Looks like mighty-fine woodworking to me! Built-ins qualify in my book, Mr. B...

George Carion
10-18-2007, 12:25 AM
That turned out really nice. My wife would love it.

Rich Gay
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Rob, Thanks... this is a great place to start and I just read your entry where you said you used an Ikea counter top to make your seat, Brilliant! For give all the questions from the newbee but:

Is the counter top holding up well and what support did you use underneat the seat?

Have you had any problems with the coat hooks pulling out or did they line up with studs?

How did you attach your top cubbies to the wall?

Enough? Okay how about one more....have you put the crown molding up yet?

Thanks, Rich

Tim Lynch
10-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Rob,

Looks great! We did ours a while back with some of the same thoughts/features. It's been great and has really helped keep things organized for my wife and our two little ones.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Is the counter top holding up well and what support did you use underneat the seat?

The seat is holding up very well. No issues. Essentially, the support is in the form of two boxes, with the bottom and fronts missing from each.

Have you had any problems with the coat hooks pulling out or did they line up with studs?
I just used screwed them directly into the beadboard/drywall with no anchors or anything. If I hit any studs, it was just luck. I was concerned about this but I figured I'd try it out & see what happens. They've held solid for a year. If I ever do have one pull out, I'll deal with it then.

How did you attach your top cubbies to the wall?

French cleat.

Enough? Okay how about one more....have you put the crown molding up yet?
Where's the smiley with the guys rolling around on the floor laughing? I need that to answer this question. Ummm. Not yet.

Rich Gay
10-19-2007, 2:00 PM
Rob, Did you attach the bench to the wall or the floor?

Rich Gay
10-19-2007, 2:02 PM
Here is your smiley!:) :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Rob Bodenschatz
10-19-2007, 2:19 PM
The bench is just screwed into the wall studs.

Rich Gay
10-30-2007, 3:09 PM
Tim,

Just trying to find out where you got the baskets and did you build the cubbies for the basket size or just got lucky to find ones that fit? What size are the baskets, also?

Rich