PDA

View Full Version : When to use a dust mask???

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 2:40 PM
I have a Oneida Cyclone and a Fein Vacuum with hepa filter. I
was sanding this morning with the Fein Multimaster and
was wondering what tasks should require a dust mask?
Table saw and router, i don't use a mask. Festool that
is connected to my Fein with the Hepa filter...I
don't. Hand sanding ,,,I usually don't. I hate wearing one and
would like to know when it is necessary? What do you think? Are you coughin' often ? :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
11-21-2006, 2:47 PM
Everything!!
Sorry Real Pinched up here. I use a mask when cutting the grass, sweeping and any WW.
If I don't I, pay later

John Branam
11-21-2006, 2:54 PM
I wear a dust mask when sanding wether using a ROS, or hand sanding. I also where one when ever I work with cutting MDF, that stuff is nasty.

Dan Gill
11-21-2006, 3:36 PM
I don't wear one often enough, I fear. Even the best of them make my glasses sit oddly on my nose. Never when at the table saw or router, unless it's one of those routing situations where I have to get my face close to see what I'm doing. Usually when power sanding. I tend to forget . . .

Al Killian
11-21-2006, 3:45 PM
I wear mine when using a router, sander or cutting mdf. It also get used when appling stains or strippers. I have a hard enough time breathing without breathing in fine dust.

Ted Miller
11-21-2006, 3:52 PM
I am with Al on this one, sanding and using the router, now when I stain or even paint, I do not have a booth so I use a respirator...

Jerry Strojny
11-21-2006, 3:58 PM
Recently I've been wear one all the time when in the shop. A full cartridge mask, not just the paper one. The pre-filters on the cartridge mask have gotten pretty nasty, real quick 9just a couple of weekends)....It makes me wonder how much crap I've been inhaling over the years. It may be overkill, but I feel better knowing that I'm catching most of it before I breath it.

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 4:07 PM
Where is a good place to buy them? I like the Moldex

John Branam
11-21-2006, 4:14 PM
I just get the paper ones from HD.

Dan Larson
11-21-2006, 4:25 PM
Like you, I have effective dust collection with my power tools, so I don't bother with the dust mask when using them. When I hand sand, I try to remember to wear a mask... but often get lazy too. I like the anti-fog version...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41726&cat=1,42207

Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to always wear a mask when hand sanding.:rolleyes:

Dan

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 6:48 PM
Mark, when I do wear a mask, I like my Dust-Bee-Gone washable one. It's probably not the best mask going, but it's comfortable and doesn't give me a fogging problem like I always have with the cheapies.

As to when...mostly hand sanding and some router work. Otherwise, I don't...but probably should.

Rob Nolan
11-21-2006, 7:06 PM
I almost always wear my dust mask ... I feel that as soon as you turn on any of your larger tools they start to kick up the fine dust before even cutting/sanding wood ... and that's the stuff we should be keeping out of our lungs. No?

I have a single stage dust collection system w/1 micron filter, festool CT22 and also have the JDS 750 air scrubber and wear the dust mask ... paranoid? Yes! :) Better to spend a little now and put up with an uncomfortable dust mask now than to possibly "check out" early on life.

Just my .02

Mark Pruitt
11-21-2006, 7:28 PM
My best way of ascertaining the extent to which I need a mask is to look at the path of a bright incandescent light. The amount of dust in the air will be readily apparent.

Jim Tobias
11-21-2006, 7:34 PM
Mark,
I wear one all the time I am in the shop. I would rather not, but about a year or so ago when I started to see articles about wood dust and lung cancer, it got my attention real fast. It might be a scare, but it's not worth the risk to me.
From what I have read, the most dangerous dust is the really fine stuff that you wouldn't notice. In other words, if you can feel it going in, then you are way past the line. I now wear a 3M forced air helmet when I am in the shop for a long period of time and a HEPA filtered mask when it is a short stay.
I would advise (FWIW) to get (at least)a good hepa filtered mask and wear it. You want to continue to make that beautiful furniture that I have been seeing on the "CreeK" for as long as possible!!

Jim

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-21-2006, 7:41 PM
I* use carbon filters. Not straight dust filters. I only use 'em when I think I ought to. Like when I'm surrounded by solvent fumes or really fine particulate matter. I don't bother if it's just going to be for a few minutes.

Ron Blaise
11-21-2006, 7:59 PM
I am sawing, sanding or operating power tools. I wear a respirator around fumes and keep a Delta air cleaner on as soon as I walk in the shop. I also have a Jet DC with a .02 micron filter. I don't get bronchitis anymore and don't want to ever again. I thought for a while I was going to have to give up wood working until I got the right tools to combat the dust. The Delta air cleaner is one of the best investments I ever made. You don't even see dust motes in the sunlight when that's running. It's the very fine dust that does a number on you and you can't really see it either. Hope that helps.

Wilbur Pan
11-21-2006, 8:26 PM
My best way of ascertaining the extent to which I need a mask is to look at the path of a bright incandescent light. The amount of dust in the air will be readily apparent.
Not to put a damper on things, but the visual acuity of a person with perfect vision is 0.0035 inches at a distance of 1 foot. This works out to 88.9 microns.

The dust that will do the most damage to your lungs is in the 0.5-2 micron range. You could have a lot of that stuff floating around and you'll never see it.

Jerry Olexa
11-21-2006, 9:35 PM
I try to remember to wear it whenever routing, sawing,jointing, planing, etc. I learned a hard lesson a few years ago. I was building a cherry piece (without a mask of course) and a persistant cough started. It lasted 3 weeks continually. By the time I saw my MD, I had bought a respirator mask. He (also a WWer) asked immediately : "Are you working w Cherry. You need to get a mask!!??" It subsided. Now working w Walnut which I hear is notorious for same irritants and I've forgotten to wear a mask w no problem. So I imagine it depends on the individual but my advice: WEAR a mask all the time . Even tho its a PITA, you get used to it. Your health is important!!

Neil Lamens
11-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Mark........

All the time. I use the 3M 8210 like water. My work habbits are such that when I'm building, I'm covered up for long durations. I don't play around with dust, and I don't spray finish much anymore. I was wondering about that padouk couch you're presently on.

When I'm turning or sanding for an extended time frame, I wear my helmet, I also have the 3M full face cartrige. No guard on my TS but I've doubled up on the dust protection and need to do more. At the end of every building day I have a dust pick-up routine so the next day I'm not kicking up particles while I'm going through the building sequence for the day.

Been in and around the woodworking industry too long not to make dust a priority. I also make sure I get in some form of cardio (swim, bike, walk)to blow the crap out of my sinus and lungs. These cold days coming up are great for a nice walk.

I also don't have a beard specifically because of woodworking and dust protection. Tough to seal around.

Mark............I don't mess with dust and I need to address doing more.

glenn bradley
11-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Almost always when working with MDF or such except on the TS which has pretty good fine dust collection. I usually close the barn door after half the cows are out but if I detect a large amount of fine dust lingering in the air I get clued in to put on a mask. I must confess that except for those tasks that I just plain know are going to raise a mess, I rarely put a mask on prior to noticing the haze in the air ;-(

Kristian Wild
11-22-2006, 1:47 AM
Right now about 7 out of every 8 hours of my work day. Sharing a relatively small shop with three other dust makers can make for a pretty thick atmosphere.

I can certainly simpathise with the PITA issues of eyeglasses and a mask. I took me quite a while to find the mask that fit my face shape best and didn't push up or smear my glasses every time I pulled it over my head. I ended up with one from AO Safety. The nice thing is the chemical cartridges screw on to a threaded thing that's the same diameter as the felt prefilters. So by taking off the heavy cartridges and just squishing in the prefilters and snapping the plastic cover overtop I have a mask that's quite light, low profile and gives me a way better seal than any paper-type mask I've tried. I just vacuum out the prefilters once a week and replace them every 4-6 months at a cost of $5.

Byron Trantham
11-22-2006, 8:40 AM
I have a 3M mask outfitted to filter particulate matter - dust. I use it mainly when I am spraying with my HVLP gun. My ROS is attached to a Festool vac and it works so well that I rarely see any dust left over. I do have a problem remembering to put it on but I am getting better. My wife yells at me when she sees me without it.:rolleyes:

James Duxbury
11-22-2006, 9:16 AM
Have to tell you---I invented the mouthpiece Resp-O-Rator. I use it all the time. Mainly it fits under a full face shield. Great for running routers or sanding on the lathe. Use ear plugs with it too. The Resp-O-Rator uses full HEPA type particulate filters. That is a minimum efficiency of 99.97% at 0.3 microns.

It is a perfect seal to your face even with a full beard and the best particulate filter made. At any cost!

The Resp-O-Rator $50.00, a face shield, the deluxe model, $20.00, and ear plugs $2.00 Total protection. Sure beats $275.00 plus no little 4 hour batteries to charge, light weight, you can buy 5 sets of replacement HEPA filters for what one of their fine dust filters cost, on and on. I made it for myself. It's my health.

Most of all, whatever kind of protection you use check the filtering efficiency and micron size that it will work down to. Fine dust filter, final filter, etc. may help but actually mean nothing. Some masks just say washabe and last for ever--they probably do. It's the fine dust that gets you and in many cases it is years later.

Last, don't turn the sander off and take the dust mask off. You see this all the time. That is probably the time when the concentration is at its highest. Wear the dust mask until the dust has cleared or you leave the area

Joe Jensen
11-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Only when spraying finish. Guess I should start :(

Howard Rosenberg
11-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not taking a chance ingesting ANY amount of dust, no matter how small.

Howard

Jesse Thornton
11-23-2006, 1:09 PM
I tend to reach for a mask pretty well anytime I'm making dust. I have a respirator for working with anything with harmful fumes, and the rest of the time I use those anti-fog masks from Lee Valley. I find they fit my face really well, and my glasses don't fog up at all when I'm wearing them, and they last a lot longer than most other masks I've tried.

Frank Hagan
11-23-2006, 1:20 PM
Have to tell you---I invented the mouthpiece Resp-O-Rator. I use it all the time. Mainly it fits under a full face shield. Great for running routers or sanding on the lathe. Use ear plugs with it too. The Resp-O-Rator uses full HEPA type particulate filters. That is a minimum efficiency of 99.97% at 0.3 microns.

It is a perfect seal to your face even with a full beard and the best particulate filter made. At any cost!

The Resp-O-Rator $50.00, a face shield, the deluxe model, $20.00, and ear plugs $2.00 Total protection. Sure beats $275.00 plus no little 4 hour batteries to charge, light weight, you can buy 5 sets of replacement HEPA filters for what one of their fine dust filters cost, on and on. I made it for myself. It's my health.

Most of all, whatever kind of protection you use check the filtering efficiency and micron size that it will work down to. Fine dust filter, final filter, etc. may help but actually mean nothing. Some masks just say washabe and last for ever--they probably do. It's the fine dust that gets you and in many cases it is years later.

Last, don't turn the sander off and take the dust mask off. You see this all the time. That is probably the time when the concentration is at its highest. Wear the dust mask until the dust has cleared or you leave the area
Hi James, good to see you post here. I have a beard, and couldn't find a mask that fit my face, my beard and my eyeglasses. After buying several things that didn't work I did try your Resp-O-Rator Jr model, and like it. But at the time, the Jr. didn't have a micron rating (I think the larger model did; something about it going through trials or something at the time).

The only thing I find with the Resp-O-Rator Jr. is that I tend to, um, er ... well, slobber, when wearing it. Real slobber, like a big old hound dog. I'm thinking it might be because I'm focused on keeping it in my mouth (for the benefit of the others here, the Jr. model just has a filter pack on the end of what looks like a snorkel mouthpiece, and does not have the arms that put the filters behind your head). I'm training myself to hold in the mouthpiece without slobbering, but ...

Have you heard this before? Do people have the same problem with the full version? I'm wondering if the arms going back behind the head would help with this, as you're not trying to keep the mouthpiece in your mouth with just your slobbering lips (well, my slobbering lips, but you know what I mean.)

Bob Michaels
11-23-2006, 8:13 PM
I hope this is not taken as a hijack to this topic, but rather an extension of it. I have the same setup as Mark, 3 HP Oneida, Fein with Hepa, Festool c22. I've been using the Dust Bee Gone mask with some success. My question is, how effective are the air cleaner filtering systems that hang from the ceiling. I realize that the best dust collection is collecting it at the source but, are the filter systems worthwhile if properly sized.

James Duxbury
11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi James, good to see you post here. I have a beard, and couldn't find a mask that fit my face, my beard and my eyeglasses. After buying several things that didn't work I did try your Resp-O-Rator Jr model, and like it. But at the time, the Jr. didn't have a micron rating (I think the larger model did; something about it going through trials or something at the time).

The only thing I find with the Resp-O-Rator Jr. is that I tend to, um, er ... well, slobber, when wearing it. Real slobber, like a big old hound dog. I'm thinking it might be because I'm focused on keeping it in my mouth (for the benefit of the others here, the Jr. model just has a filter pack on the end of what looks like a snorkel mouthpiece, and does not have the arms that put the filters behind your head). I'm training myself to hold in the mouthpiece without slobbering, but ...

Have you heard this before? Do people have the same problem with the full version? I'm wondering if the arms going back behind the head would help with this, as you're not trying to keep the mouthpiece in your mouth with just your slobbering lips (well, my slobbering lips, but you know what I mean.)

Frank,
The Resp-O-Rator Jr uses the same filter as the big Resp-O-Rator but since twice as much air is going through it the efficiency drops to a minimum of 97% at 0.3 microns. That is still over anything you need.

Drooling is because you are not closing your mouth all the way, teeth together and swallowing normally. You can not swallow with your mouth open. That mouthpiece is a flat flange. The flange goes between your lips and in front of your teeth so your teeth can close tight together. Then your mouth will function normally. A scuba type mouthpiece has bite ears on it. You don’t notice the drool swimming in the ocean but over a work bench it’s the big old hound dog type. Talking about saliva makes saliva. Close your mouth all the way and forget about it. It completely does go away.

Don Taylor
11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
When I was a younger lad, my trusty shop pup and I would go out in the garage/shop and cut out parts for wooden toys. Some times we would work for 12 hours using either the band saw or 12" disk sander. I used compressed air to clean out the shop.
At the time no one preached about the dangers of breathing sawdust. I didn't have the big power tools that I have today. The ones that make the ear damaging noise. I was, however, a jet aircraft mechanic who always forgot to wear his Mickey Mouse ears.
Well today, it takes more effort for me to "walk" to the shop, than it use to take me to run 10 miles. I have to stop two or three times to catch my breath. It takes me two or three months to complete a “weekend” project. I can't hear a doorbell or a telephone without beefing them up. Trust me, you do not, I repeat, "DO NOT" want emphysema.

Never take a deep breath for granted.

Don

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Mark,

I don't wear one enough or as much as I should. I mainly wear one when spraying finishes, sanding, or working at the lathe. Since I've started wearing a mask more often, my visits to the doctor about sinus infections has gone to near zero. :)

Frank Hagan
11-24-2006, 3:37 AM
Frank,
The Resp-O-Rator Jr uses the same filter as the big Resp-O-Rator but since twice as much air is going through it the efficiency drops to a minimum of 97% at 0.3 microns. That is still over anything you need.

Drooling is because you are not closing your mouth all the way, teeth together and swallowing normally. You can not swallow with your mouth open. That mouthpiece is a flat flange. The flange goes between your lips and in front of your teeth so your teeth can close tight together. Then your mouth will function normally. A scuba type mouthpiece has bite ears on it. You don’t notice the drool swimming in the ocean but over a work bench it’s the big old hound dog type. Talking about saliva makes saliva. Close your mouth all the way and forget about it. It completely does go away.

I will try that, James! Thanks!

Roy Clarke
11-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Not to put a damper on things, but the visual acuity of a person with perfect vision is 0.0035 inches at a distance of 1 foot. This works out to 88.9 microns.

The dust that will do the most damage to your lungs is in the 0.5-2 micron range. You could have a lot of that stuff floating around and you'll never see it.

There must be something here I do not understand. I have pulled out one of my remaining hairs. I measured it with a micrometer, and it is around 0.002" across. I have no trouble seeing it at arms length. My eyesight is not as good as it once was.

Frank Hagan
11-24-2006, 12:37 PM
There must be something here I do not understand. I have pulled out one of my remaining hairs. I measured it with a micrometer, and it is around 0.002" across. I have no trouble seeing it at arms length. My eyesight is not as good as it once was.

I think you can also see light reflecting off of dust particles that you cannot see with the naked eye, which is why "perfectly clean air" can be revealed to have a lot of dust floating around with a strong shaft of sunlight streaming through a window.

Wilbur Pan
11-24-2006, 1:01 PM
The visual acuity test refers to the diameter of a dot that can be made out. Specifically, alternating black and white dots are printed, and the limits of visual acuity are the size of the dots that can still be made out to be separate dots, instead of a field of gray. If I'm being unclear (probably), think of a photo printed in a newspaper.

A hair, though it may be 0.002" in diameter, is longer than it's diameter, so it's easier for your eyes to pick up. A better analogy would be trying to spot razor stubble. In any case, the most harmful dust particles (0.5-1 microns)are 50-100 times smaller than the diameter of your hair (0.002" = 50 microns).

Mike Buelow
11-28-2006, 3:11 PM
I'm one of the guys who doesn't take the mask precaution when cutting wood. For some reason only pine dimensional lumber flares my allergies.

Will start to do so with MDF for sure, as since reading this thread I've put 2+2 together with the mess that stuff makes.

Right or wrong, I'd probably have to give up the hobby if I always wore a mask, safety glasses, and hearing protection. Some of my most experiences were during remodels with glasses AND masks on. Sweating, fogging, and swearing, even with an exhaust valve.

Funny I've never seen Norm wear one or mention it (save for finishing).

#I do so at my own risk disclaimer.#

Dan Forman
11-28-2006, 3:42 PM
I had trouble getting a good seal with disposable dust masks, went to a 3M 7500 series half mask, and prefer it to the paper ones. It not only fits better (no fog), but it is actually more comfortable to breathe, as there is a valve which allows the exhalation to bypass the filter. There are cartridges which may be exchanged for dust vs vapors.

The Dust Bee Gone only filters down to 3 microns, so lets the worst stuff through, and costs about the same as the 3M mask.

The air filtration systems are good for purging the air of dust in the long term (over a few hours), but should not be relied upon for keeping it clean while you are still working.

Dan

Rob Blaustein
11-28-2006, 9:25 PM
Where is a good place to buy them? I like the Moldex

I wear one most of the time and also like the Moldex since they have a valve that lets out expired air so there's minimal fogging of my glasses. I've used the 2300N95--a box of 10 is around $19 and they can be re-used a lot. Next time I may try the 2730N100--more expensive (around $27 for a box of 5) but looks like they filter more efficiently. I get them from QC supply (http://www.qcsupply.com/).

Gary Hoemann
11-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I saw a respirator the othe day on the web and have been trying to find it again. It was full face and had some type of new style retaining setup. It also had a type of sealing device where you turned the cover on the filter cartridge, I think. Anbody know what this is?

Steven Wilson
11-29-2006, 3:13 PM
I hope this is not taken as a hijack to this topic, but rather an extension of it. I have the same setup as Mark, 3 HP Oneida, Fein with Hepa, Festool c22. I've been using the Dust Bee Gone mask with some success. My question is, how effective are the air cleaner filtering systems that hang from the ceiling. I realize that the best dust collection is collecting it at the source but, are the filter systems worthwhile if properly sized.

Think about it, the air cleaner is filtering the same air you're breathing. The air cleaners are good for cleaning up the air after you've made dust but really don't do any good while your in the shop creating the dust, for that you need to collect the dust at source or wear a mask.

As for me, I wear a mask when I'm creating dust and am not confident that I'm collecting it at the source. I will generally use a the 3M full face mask/shield (like the Airtrend) when the dust load is low, and a real 1/2 mask (3M 7000 series) when I'm working with finishes or wood species that bug me (exotics, spalted anything). Having said that, my Oneida 2HP commercial is pretty good and collecting dust so I'm able to sand spindle objects at the lathe without a mask and use the Minimax sliding table saw. If you want to use a mask less use your hand planes and scrapers more - make shavings not dust :D

Larry Fox
11-29-2006, 3:43 PM
Not as much as I should. Respirator when sanding, spraying finish of any type, or working with solvents for more than a second or so. Other that that, not so much. Suppose I should start.

James Duxbury
12-19-2006, 8:52 AM
I will try that, James! Thanks!

Frank,

I just saw this. If you ever wanted the Resp-O-Rator Hartville Tool has them on sale with a full face shield. $44.98. That is hard to beat. For the cost and protection.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834 (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834)

Jim

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
When it pleases me to do so. Which is damn rare.

Bob Swenson
12-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Mark
When you start cuting some cheap wood like Mahogany and get a bitter tast in your mouth you will know it's time to do something:(
I stop work when it gets bad, With all the filters going you can still tast it but you can't see it. I think they make Angustora out of it.:eek:

Al Willits
12-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a couple, one is the 3M version (half mask I think) it's the one with the exhaust hole that helps keep the glasses from fogging, and I always wear that one with MDF, and try to wear it the rest of the time.
I have the respirator from when I painting automotive finishes for if I ever get to spray lacquers and such.
I'm now running the DC system more, and when weather permits run a exhaust blower.
Thinking about another hanging air cleaner, but its a ways down the list.

Maybe better than a fluorescent light, would be a spot light going in a dark room for seeing dust in the air

Al

Don Selke
12-19-2006, 1:26 PM
As previously stated, I wear a surgical type mask when sanding along with a make shift dust collector (box fan with filter) The mask is very comfterable. Also use this mask for other cutting operations in the shop. When spray painting, I use a MSA mask designed for this purpose even though I spray water base finishes.
This is my second post, for some reason my orriginal post was removed.:confused: :confused:

Darryl Hazen
12-19-2006, 3:58 PM
The short answer to the question - ALWAYS !!! You don't have to see the dust for it to be harmful. My Dad was a "hobby" woodworker most of his life. He's the one that got me hooked on woodworking. He passed away years ago from pulmonary fibrosis. Pulmonary fibrosis is similar to the black lung disease coal miners get from inhaling coal dust. The doctor said it was caused by inhaling sawdust. I personally never do any woodworking that generates sawdust of any size without wearing a good mask. Paper masks are next to useless for capturing dust. they don't fit well enough. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor. Invest in the best mask you can afford.