PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and question.

Kevin McPeek
11-21-2006, 2:06 PM
First, I'll introduce myself. I guess the name is obvious on this forum, on a few other forums I go by dubdrvrkev (dub driver kevin- for another old habit of VW's). I am fairly novice still in the turning world but have been at it about 2 years. I've been a lurker around here off and on for quite some time and thought I'd jump in. I look forward to getting to know you and learning from you all.

On to my question. Currently I am turning a platter a little over 17" diameter, and am at the point to flip it around and do the front. I am wondering what you feel the shallowest recess would be safe to turn at? On plates I have used around 1/16" deep and been fine but that just seems a little wimpy for this size blank. I don't have a way to re-turn the base so I want to make it looks as good as possible since it has to live with the platter.
Thanks for any input.

Dario Octaviano
11-21-2006, 2:16 PM
WELCOME Kevin!

Can't help much with your Q though since you know better than I. :D

Assemble your vacuum chuck and your problem is solved :p ;)

Kevin McPeek
11-21-2006, 3:29 PM
I would Dario but I am short a vacuum pump. I could go the shopvac route as the Nova adapter says but I'm not real confident of the holding power of the old QSP. This should spur me on to get a vacuum chuck built but... you know so many pieces of wood need turned.

Frank Fusco
11-21-2006, 3:32 PM
Welcome Kevin, check out this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46097

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2006, 4:31 PM
Welcome to Creek Kevin. I don't like to but I have used double sided tape and slowed the machine down. I have did platters with a 1/16" recess but have brought up the tailstock till I had at least 90% of the wood hogged off, then moved the tailstock and finished the middle with real light cuts.

Kevin McPeek
11-21-2006, 7:33 PM
I can't use my tailstock because I have to keep the head rotated slightly for the platter to clear the bed (16" swing). Otherwise I would already be making curls on it. I think I might have figure out a way to get away with a recess I feel comfortable using and still look pleasing.

Ernie Nyvall
11-21-2006, 9:20 PM
I haven't done a platter, but welcome to the forum.

Andy Hoyt
11-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Welcome, Kevin - glad you're here.

Rig yourself a jamb chuck. Works like a charm.

George Conklin
11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Welcome, Kevin - glad you're here.

Rig yourself a jamb chuck. Works like a charm.

Welcome, Kevin.

You might be just aroung the block from Don and me:) .

Frank Kobilsek
11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Kevin
Welcome

Q? Depends on your chuck. My Stronghold would not bite a 1/16th recess. Bigger platters I generally recess a heavy 1/8 to 3/16. Yep that ain't pretty so I ussually flip again into cole jaws and re-decorate the bottom. Some of the other brands that have a sharp edge on their jaws may not require the depth.

Little plates say up to 11" the tape method works just great for me.

Frank

Kevin McPeek
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Well I went to about 1/8" and flipper her around. I did a little decor on the bottom so I think I minimized the look of the recess. I should finish everyting today, just in time to serve something on it tomorrow.
I have the SN2 chuck with the 130mm jaws and they seem to hold good on most stuff at 1/16" deep but I didn't want to chance it here.

John Hart
11-22-2006, 1:26 PM
Welcome Kevin!

Hey...I wonder if you could rig up a "Body Tailstock". You know...somehow, belt-mount a live center around your waist for those times when the headstock is rotated!!!
I suppose you'd need Abs-Like-Steel....sorta leaves me out of the experiment.

Ok...I'll shut up now. :o