PDA

View Full Version : Water over oil?

daniel skaf
11-21-2006, 1:23 PM
Hi,

I'm finishing my white oak floors. Is it OK if I do one coat of oil-based clear satin poly and then 2 coats of water based on top?

Is it true that water based poly is stronger than oil based? Does is last longer?

Thanks!
Dan

Steve Schoene
11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
You can apply the waterbase over the oil based varnish. You should let it be well dried--3-4 days, at least, and it should be screened (scuff sanded) before changing the material. No reason to use satin varnish since you are going to put another coat on top.

It is not clear what you mean by "stronger". Waterborne finishes are considerably less chemical, heat, and water resistant than oil based finishes. Wear resistance will be similar between the two types, with some water born surpassing oil based varnish and some the other way. Water base won't yellow over time, and are more UV resistence than oil based.

On balance oil base still has the edge as far as total protection capabilities. That said, some high quality water borne floor finishes give good results, and cure more quickly, with less noxious fumes.

daniel skaf
11-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks!!!!!

That really helps!!!!!!