PDA

View Full Version : A little Public Service Announcement about toys for kids this holiday season.........

Mark Rios
11-21-2006, 1:17 PM
I heard a list this morning on the radio about the three top toys on the safety watch list for this Holiday Season:

1) The "Dora the Explorer-My first Taser"

2) The "Barney Blowtorch"

3) Mattel's newest toy "Gasoline Powered, Shards of Glass" (with the standard non-powered "Shards of Glass" just missing the list)

You might want to think twice before you purchase any of these toys for your children this year.

Have a safe and happy Holiday Season.

:D

Lee DeRaud
11-21-2006, 1:21 PM
2) The "Barney Blowtorch"Is that the one where you squeeze the jaws shut and flames shoot out the other end?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who would buy one just so he could duct-tape up both ends and watch it explode.:cool:

Lars Thomas
11-21-2006, 3:01 PM
Mark, There was a similar list for the 10 most-wanted gifts for Woodworkers. Toping the list was the newest offering from Saw Stop. In this version, the altruistic leadership of the Saw Stop Company made the technology available to all saw manufactures without licensing costs. However, this version was not developed by sinking a large fortune into developing a great new technology. Instead, the new version is based on technology with a proven 150 year track record. If you ever feel like you are going to stick you hands in the blade. . . simply stop peddling. Works every time and there is no concern about parts availability. Need new parts? Just wait for trash day to pick up a ‘new’ 10 speed. My local Woodcraft doesn’t have the new model in yet, so I am not sure how the riving knife is going to work. Has anybody seen it yet?

While we are on the subject (and we always are) I also heard Saw Stop has white-labeled a new version of the v-Bulletin Board software in collaboration with Microsoft - scheduled for 3rd quarter 2003 release (although pushed back to 1st quarter 2006). This version does not need any moderators, participants or funding and it is equipped with Artificial Intelligence to carry on a thread with itself. There is just constant chatter about the merits of the saw, how despicable the initial marketing efforts were, an occasional “ya’ but you can’t cut wet wood” and last but not least some guy with 7-1/2 fingers tossing a “but your blade is ruined” on the fire. Finally, the thread is locked from further postings. The cycle then starts all over again in three days.:)

Matt Meiser
11-22-2006, 8:03 AM
Great--the first three items on my daughter's list for Santa :D