PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening options

David Hayes
10-31-2003, 10:28 AM
I finished watching Mr. Lee's sharpening DVD (Lee Valley) last night. After a lot of reading and surfing, this DVD was a breath of fresh air. It took a lot of the mystique surrounding sharpening tools away for me (I think!)
What I am wondering is this - can it really be so simple? Do any of you simply use a belt sander for your turning tools instead of a grinder with jigs?
I have often heard that you should pick a sharpening system and stick with it as you will become proficient at it eventually. I am getting ready to start doing some round work and want to start off on the right path. For chisels and plane blades, I have been using DMT stones followed by waterstones. I had thought seriously about getting the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder and the Wolverine jigs for the turning tools. After watching the DVD, I'm not so sure. Any advice or comments?
Thanks,
Dave

Jim Becker
10-31-2003, 10:42 AM
David, I've seen some very positive comments about sharpening on a belt sander (or sanding disk), but believe the vast majority of turners will continue to use a "normal" grinder...and for many of them, the solution will include the Wolverine or similar setup. I find that the nature of turning tools really lends itself to this kind of setup and even many pros who for years eschewed "jigs" for freehand techniques have moved over to using it. The consistency without sacrificing speed that one gets, no matter what their experience, is pretty obvious. I have the Wolverine on my main grinder and a shop-built version on my other grinder...and would not give them up at this point. They work very well for me.

That all being said, the techniques you saw on that video are great and if you find them comfortable for you and you can get the results you want and expect...go for it! There is no one way to do most things in woodworking...which is part of the fun. :p

Keith Harper
10-31-2003, 12:30 PM
I too have tried several methods and after nearly ruining some tools I spent the money for the Wolverine system. Now sharpening is almost a pleasure. The results are consistent and the turnings off the tool require much less sanding. The learning curve is rather short. Be sure you dress the wheel well and rather often. Go for it and you will find new pleasure in turning. I use a 60 grit for initial shaping and a blue 100 grit for touch up.

Ken Salisbury
10-31-2003, 5:52 PM
I was one of the old die hard woodworkers who sharpened his lathe tools on a belt sander for years and years. I didn't do much round work back then. In the last 4 or 5 years my lathe time has increased by several orders of magnitude. I remained hard headed about free handing my sharpening on a belt sander (really thought I was good at it). -- Wrong !!

Trying to sharpen a bowl gouge with a consistent long side-grind is quite a chore freehand. I broke down about a month ago and purchased a new 8" Delta VS grinder with 60 grit and 120 grit white wheels, and a Wolverine system with a Vari Grind jig. That job is now a piece of cake as is sharpening all my lathe tools.

What a difference ! ! ! ! Now I really like to sharpen my chisels rather than considering it as a chore. Even though I considered myself a better than average turner, being able to easily keep my tools super sharp has improved my turning work greatly.

I highly recommend the Wolverine System.
"Old Dogs Sometimes Give Up Reluctantly"