PDA

View Full Version : Abbyseration??

Ron Sardo
11-21-2006, 8:54 AM
Ok, what does Abbyseration mean?

More importantly, how do you pronounce it? (Please type slowly so I can learn how to say this word):D

Dennis Peacock
11-21-2006, 8:56 AM
Ron,

It's a kinder gentler word passed on to us from Andy Hoyt. We used to do "bombing" runs...meaning we'd chip in money and send somebody a turning tool, lathe, or such as that. The Abysseration (Abyss-er-ation) is now used for just such occassions. :D

Ron Sardo
11-21-2006, 9:01 AM
Nice Idea,

Thanks Dennis

Tyler Howell
11-21-2006, 9:01 AM
You are sucked in..... Or pushed (in some cases:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D )into the never ending abyss of Wood turning

Cecil Arnold
11-21-2006, 3:31 PM
You should know better than most Tyler.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2006, 3:46 PM
Ron...........as the Official SMC Secretary of Bonkers....I should explain what Abbyseration is.......Late last fall....Just around Thanksgiving IIRC, the turners here were having an "itty bitty" turning contest. The rules stated that nothing could be taller than 1.5" nor wider than .75" IIRC. I got to teasing the turners as it appeared to me then...and still does that "turning those exotic woods and sniffing those exotic wood shavings appears to have the same effect as smoking dope or drinking beer or wine". Well......myself (then a non-turner) and several members got into a pushme-pullyou contest and in early January the turners here (inmates as I like to refer to them) threatened to bomb me unless I bought a lathe. I explained that once my shop was finished a lathe would be the last tool I'd buy. (I figured it would be the single most expensive and thus the reasoning). So on Tuesday prior to the Superbowl they announced the plane carrying the bomb had departed...a sattelite photo of Lewiston Idaho was shown with my house in the middle of the photo and there was the picture of ground zero. A Jet VS Mini w/ SuperNova2 chuck various tools and $350 was delivered to my house. I still haven't finished my shop but I do attempt to turn some wood. Some folks objected to the term "bomb" so Andy developed the word Abbyserated....in that once you start turning you've fallen into the Abbys it consumes all of your time and money. I can testify to that fact. I don't have any money and my shop isn't finished but I'm turning.

Since then we have Abbyserated a couple more turners....Tyler Howell and Frank Chaffee.....We three were shoved into the Abbyss also referred to as the Vortex.......While the 3 of us "whine" about it......we smile a lot as a result of it!:D

Lee DeRaud
11-21-2006, 3:57 PM
There once was a turner named Abby,
whose serrated tools were too grabby.
He decided one day
[multiple TOS violations deleted by Moderator]

Nope - Multiple TOS violations invited by moderator. You can do it Lee - use your words wisely. :D

Ron Sardo
11-21-2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks Ken, that is really great story. Seems like a good bunch of folks here.

--

Hey Lee, here's a PG version for ya

There once was a turner named Abby,
whose serrated tools were too grabby.
He decided one day,
at the grinder he'd stay
And now his tools are not shabby

So ok, I'm not a poet, what can I tell you.