PDA

View Full Version : Boy am I fuming! *PIC*

David Eisan
10-31-2003, 7:50 AM
Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Jim Guy
10-31-2003, 8:57 AM
I'm very green at this, so maybe I'm asking to large a question to pose here, but here it is. What is fuming with ammonia?
I have been working quite a bit with shellac and love it. But I would like to move into some other areas. I work quite a bit with cherry.
Any help would be great, or maybe point me to a web site or a good book. Thanks, Jim Guy - SW Ohio

Jim Becker
10-31-2003, 9:51 AM
The effect is great, David, but really, really, really be careful as the process can be dangerous to your health. Ammonia is a nasty substance, especially in the concentration you use for this purpose. This is not a "do it indoors" kind of project, either. Use a tent in your yard.

Brad Hammond
10-31-2003, 11:31 AM
YES YES YES.............. please keep us informed!! i'd love to see the progress. if you wanna post pics of the tent you use for fuming and the concentration of ammonia you used i wont object at all.
i'm very interersted in fuming as well!

that test piece is beautiful!
great job on the clock as well!

brad

Ted Calver
10-31-2003, 9:42 PM
Just a tip for prospective fumers.... Most engineering firms that use ammonia based blue print machines will have gallons of used ammonia sitting around awaiting disposal. While no longer effective for blue print making it's still got plenty of punch for fuming and is usually available free for the asking.

Ted Shrader
11-01-2003, 9:31 AM
Just a tip for prospective fumers.... Most engineering firms that use ammonia based blue print machines will have gallons of used ammonia sitting around awaiting disposal. While no longer effective for blue print making it's still got plenty of punch for fuming and is usually available free for the asking.

Ted -

Sent you a PM about this.

Ted Shrader

David Eisan
11-02-2003, 2:04 AM
I have not been able to do much on the clock the last few days, I have been busy trimming out my brothers basement and things like my compressor, mitre saw, etc., are at his place. Which reminds me, I hate carpentry, why do I keep getting roped into doing it for friends and family...

Anyway, I am off to the big machinery show in Toronto Sunday, but next week I hope to have my tools home so I can bash together a crude tent to do the fuming in. I will show before and after photos as well as how I did the fuming.

Thanks everyone for the help, these Internet Woodworking chat sites are what have allowed me to become the woodworker I am, I have learned so much from everyone.

David.