PDA

View Full Version : High Utilitarian Form, Fit and Function Project

Boyd Gathwright
11-20-2006, 8:41 PM
High Utilitarian Form, Fit and Function Project (1 of 2 )

.... This is a very LOW tech Finish (furniture) But a High Utilitarian form, fit and function project. I needed a cover that would hold considerable weight and at the same time allow two flex hoses to be held and fixed in position with little or no movement, entering the cover but holding their flow shape, and at the same time lay flat on the concrete floor. The hoses can be walked on but must be held fast by the cover assembly. Other requirements are, part of the cover be heavy enough or have a snug enough fit to prevent critters; mice, snakes, rats etc. from entry. This hole that the cover encloses is about 10 7/8”square X 16 ½'' deep with a concrete floor bottom and a large drain (see pics).

.... The inside of this hole (a piece of terracotta pipe) had dried concrete running down its sides from the overflow when they poured the concrete floor (see pics).

.... Used a ball-peen hammer and chisel to smooth out the surfaces (see pics). Note: ball-peen hammer worked very well.

.... Here are the inlays for the small and large flex hoses (see pics)

:D

Boyd Gathwright
11-20-2006, 8:47 PM
High Utilitarian Form, Fit and Function Project (Con't 2 of 2 )

.... Here's a shot of the skeleton frame from the bottom up that supports the cover assembly. All four legs are a different length (ever build a table with four different leg lengths) see pics.

.... And of course the finished product (see pics). There are other ways to handle this kind of problem. To me this approach was a one time neat, clean fix for something that had gotten to be a nuisance. Perhaps this project may give you or inspire you for some ideas of your own?

Jim Becker
11-20-2006, 9:43 PM
That be different!! Nice work, Boyd!

Neil Lamens
11-21-2006, 2:21 PM
Hey Boyd:

Nicely done.........thoughtful and executed very well. I bet you can build a jig or two!!!!!

Boyd Gathwright
11-21-2006, 9:49 PM
Hi Jim,
.... For most SMC's this probably is a little too utilitarian until they have a similar need. For me, whether it's a highly polished piece of furniture or a very practical application like this, it's just another project. A project that takes time with a useful end purpose, besides these kind of things keep track of my time, Ha, I wish that were so.

Thanks

Boyd

That be different!! Nice work, Boyd!

glenn bradley
11-21-2006, 9:57 PM
Way to go Boyd. A chest of drawers is a beautiful thing but so is a shop made coping jig or a blade storage rack, eh?

Boyd Gathwright
11-22-2006, 4:08 PM
.... Thanks Neil for the pleasant comments. Don't know how much hidden talent I have but I do try to pay attention to details. Though I must admit, there was some not-so-obvious detail with this project. But, then again, there are always those little surprises that just lay in waiting, just part of living I suppose. No problem on the jigs, the only thing is, you have to build about 3 or 4 prototypes before you get all the kinks ironed out.

Thanks again

Boyd

Hey Boyd:

Nicely done.........thoughtful and executed very well. I bet you can build a jig or two!!!!!