PDA

View Full Version : New Bridge City Shoulder Plane

Bob Marino
11-20-2006, 6:47 PM
Did anyone see the new, not yet released BCTW shoulder plane - $539.00? Got a flyer today - looks beautiful, but cannot for the life of me, think it works any better than a LN, LV or other fine shoulder plane.

BCTW (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/pages_framework/frameset_stage.asp?primary=0&secondary=1&tertiary=-1)

Bob

Tyler Howell
11-20-2006, 7:00 PM
You are paying for beauty and prestige Bob!!
It sure is pretty:cool:

nic obie
11-20-2006, 8:21 PM
You are paying for beauty and prestige Bob!!
It sure is pretty:cool:

Yep...

Kinda like Festool, Maybe? ;)

(don't get mad now) :D :D :D :D

Mark Rios
11-20-2006, 9:15 PM
Yep...

Kinda like Festool, Maybe? ;)

(don't get mad now) :D :D :D :D

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :D :D :D

Jim Young
11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
If money were no object...

Greg Salata
11-21-2006, 12:56 AM
If money were no object...
But of course it is;)

Zahid Naqvi
11-21-2006, 9:55 AM
Did anyone see the new, not yet released BCTW shoulder plane - $539.00? Got a flyer today - looks beautiful, but cannot for the life of me, think it works any better than a LN, LV or other fine shoulder plane.

yea! but look how cute and purdy it is. For that kind of money I can have the LV medium shoulder + LV BU jack + LV router plane, let's see which package would you pick. And don't even go into the used Stanley market :rolleyes: .

Jim Hinze
11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't know if I'd ever use a $500+ handplane in the shop for fear of scratching it... Not when my Lie-Nielsen med. shoulder works as well as it does...

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 11:25 AM
It is really overkill! Actually i like the look of the traditional shoulder plane...the Record 73...LN....LV ...basic good design. A lot of the Bridge City stuff looks like it was meant to sit in a glass case....I don't like that feeling

Mike Weaver
11-21-2006, 12:27 PM
It is really overkill! Actually i like the look of the traditional shoulder plane...the Record 73...LN....LV ...basic good design. A lot of the Bridge City stuff looks like it was meant to sit in a glass case....I don't like that feeling
Mark said it, folks!

Overkill & looks like it was meant to sit on a shelf.

To each his own though. :D

-Mike
Who's tool budget for the YEAR wouldn't cover the cost of the BCTW shoulder plane.

Bob Marino
11-22-2006, 8:02 AM
Mark said it, folks!

Overkill & looks like it was meant to sit on a shelf.

To each his own though. :D

-Mike
Who's tool budget for the YEAR wouldn't cover the cost of the BCTW shoulder plane.

Yes, I agree with you and Mark to a large degree. But in a sense, I also feel that way towards the very high end planes - particularly the smoothers. I suppose people can appreciate and afford to pay for the total craftsmanship, materials and performance of such planes and I am glad there are manufacturers producing these cost no object tools, but that's where the law of diminishing returns is so evident. This shoulder plane looks to be an interesting design though.

Bob

Brett Baldwin
11-22-2006, 5:54 PM
It surely is a beautiful tool but I'd have to make much more and better things if I were to spend that kind of money. Now if I win the Powerball.....