PDA

View Full Version : My New Shop at Home - Ready to Move In

Joe Pelonio
11-20-2006, 6:40 PM
I finally have the place ready to move in, just need some time to do the actual move. OK, so I still have to get my tools and supplies off of the shelves I put in for my plastics. Here it is all painted and you can see two of the 3 windows I put in between the studs on the wall where the laser will go. The computers will go under the large window, plotters to the right of that. I'm hoping to be working there by 12/18 at the latest.

The other picture is the view from in front of the house when
I go down to get the mail, on a rare clear day.

Frank Corker
11-20-2006, 7:54 PM
Jeepers Joe it looks bloody awful. I think I prefer to be in my 8x6 room with it's one window, no extractor which is freezing in winter time and stifling in summer, with a view of city traffic passing by and beeping horns.

Crumbs, looking at that space (we call that a dance hall here) all that beautiful scenery, I think if it were mine I'd just sit there and look out the window. Nope I wouldn't get a thing done.

Okay, okay, if you push me, I'll do a straight swop with you, what do you think??

You lucky sod!

Leigh Costello
11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Very nice, Joe. The view is spectacular. And I can assure you working from home is so nice. You don't get much done when the weather is great, but that's what the cloudy days are for!
Good luck!

Leigh

Dave Fifield
11-21-2006, 4:21 AM
Looks good Joe. Hope your move goes smoothly! Put up some more pics when you have it set up....always interested to see how other people lay their workshops out. :)

Cheers,
Dave F.

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2006, 8:16 AM
Crumbs, looking at that space (we call that a dance hall here) all that beautiful scenery, I think if it were mine I'd just sit there and look out the window. Nope I wouldn't get a thing done.

Okay, okay, if you push me, I'll do a straight swop with you, what do you think??

You lucky sod!
Tempting as your offer is I think I'll pass, Frank.

Leigh, the month of August will be hard, that's about the only full month of really nice weather we get. For me the hardest days to work will be when it snows and those 100' firs are white.

Dave, Hopefully pics "in operation" to follow before Christmas.

Karin Voorhis
11-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to say good luck and all on the move,...... Should be very nice to save the overhead and all.

I would love to see many updated pics as you put it all together too.....

I would say put your back to the windows or else as said no work will be getting done... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I just wanted to say good luck and all on the move,...... Should be very nice to save the overhead and all.

I would love to see many updated pics as you put it all together too.....

I would say put your back to the windows or else as said no work will be getting done... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Thanks. As it's layed out one wall is against two of the bedrooms and has the door to the hallway, the other 3 all have windows. Most of my work will be facing the back window which has a view of just the treetops and the neighbor's yard if I get close to it. It will be tempting though to look out the front on any clear winter days witht he leaves off the alders and maples when I can see Mt. Baker sticking up. Plus, I've already noticed the sunset is great through those 3 new windows.

Frank Corker
11-21-2006, 7:24 PM
Hey! I've seen Mt Baker from my sister's place in Vancouver - now I get an idea of where you are. Should be great Joe, wish you all the luck in the world, offer still stands mate

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2006, 7:37 PM
Frank,

Do you mean Vancouver WA (near Portland) or Vancouver B.C.?

If you drew a line from Vancouver WA to Mt. Baker, I'd be almost exactly in the middle. On the other hand, Vancouver B.C would see it to the southeast, I see it to the northeast. A line from our house to Mt. Baker
then to Vancouver BC and back down to our house would be a perfect right arrow. Now that I think about it we're just about 3 hours from either of the Vancouvers.

Frank Corker
11-21-2006, 8:12 PM
Joe it's the BC one. She's pretty much converted Canadian now (weirdo)

Kim Vellore
12-09-2006, 4:28 PM
Here is something I did to save electricity during cold days. When I turn on the Exhaust it used to suck out the warm air from the room in no time and freeze me. so I made this fixture so it sucks air from outside and exhausts outside, now I can laser all cold winter nights. I also got some honeycomb sheet for $40 and made this table which has worked good for me.
Kim

Bill Cunningham
12-09-2006, 8:24 PM
Here is something I did to save electricity during cold days. When I turn on the Exhaust it used to suck out the warm air from the room in no time and freeze me. so I made this fixture so it sucks air from outside and exhausts outside, now I can laser all cold winter nights. I also got some honeycomb sheet for $40 and made this table which has worked good for me.
Kim

Kim? Do you have any problems with condensation when sucking the air from out side? I've often wondered how much my shop heating bill would drop if I did that!! I Don't know where you are located, but I'm about 50 miles north of Toronto, where every BTU saved helps..:D

Kim Vellore
12-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Bill,
I live in California, but my main problem was the laser is in my hobby room which is very small and it used to suck out all the heat in a few minutes. I have not noticed any condensation either inside or outside the ducts it is a good point though, I'll watchout for it.
Kim

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Here where it rains 9-10 months of the year it's probably not such a good idea, but I find that running the laser all day adds heat to the room anyway. Since no one else will be home during the day I have the furnace set to go down to 60 until 3pm, if it does get cold I'll use a small space heater in the new shop room rather than heat up the whole house. More likely I'll just put on a sweatshirt or something.

Today's the big day, after I run a few jobs on the laser I'm moving it home this afternoon. The rest of the shop, plotters, vinyl and other stuff we'll move next weekend. This week I'll do the laser work in the evenings, I have a lot of vehicles to letter during the day anyway so it works out OK.

Bill Cunningham
12-10-2006, 7:28 PM
Here, it's just C o l d, and usually a damp cold at that.
I wondered about sucking that icy air into the front of the laser where the everything could condense on the electronics.. Heating with a ceiling mount 40k btu gas heater..I keep my shop at 69 deg during the day, with a thermostat that sets itself back to 60 after 6 pm and on weekends.. Last year I burned only 830 Cubic metres of gas.. My shop is a 26 x 32 barn shaped two story building that I built 6 years ago, after moving the business out of the garage.. I have my wood working stuff on the second floor, and the main floor is the general work area, 18 x 26 and my customer area is 12 x 26..

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2006, 7:52 PM
The laser is moved, all set up and a test job done. With duct to the fan then out the wall it's a toal run of maybe 5 feet. A very noticable difference in "sucking" at the laser inlet vents since before it was over 20'. Nice and quiet running though. So nice to have it home.

Karin Voorhis
12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I finally have the place ready to move in, just need some time to do the actual move. OK, so I still have to get my tools and supplies off of the shelves I put in for my plastics. Here it is all painted and you can see two of the 3 windows I put in between the studs on the wall where the laser will go. The computers will go under the large window, plotters to the right of that. I'm hoping to be working there by 12/18 at the latest.

The other picture is the view from in front of the house when
I go down to get the mail, on a rare clear day.

I am thinking it should be time to be seeing some update pics by now yes?????????? :D

Tim Warris
12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Kim
Hi,

Where did you find that honeycomb insert used in the table? I have been trying to find a source for this material unsucessfully for some time...

Tim

Joe Pelonio
12-13-2006, 1:14 PM
I am thinking it should be time to be seeing some update pics by now yes?????????? :D

In a few days. I'm trying to do all the vinyl jobs here at the old place then get home and do the laser work at home, while trying to pack up and get rid of things that I'm not taking to the new home shop. Sunday when I'm (hopefully) organizing things after the move Saturday in what is now forecast as snowy weather, I'll try to take a pic or two. Today we have a windstorm with power blinks and that's supposed to be worse tomorrow.
I have such good timing!:rolleyes:

Kim Vellore
12-14-2006, 1:46 AM
Hi,

Where did you find that honeycomb insert used in the table? I have been trying to find a source for this material unsucessfully for some time...

Tim

Here is the info
http://www.honeycommcore.com/

Contact person is Bill, email bill@honeycommcore.com. The type I bought is 1/4" cell, 1/2" thick.

Kim

Dave Fifield
12-14-2006, 6:51 PM
Good luck with the move in the snow this weekend Joe!

DF

Keith Outten
12-14-2006, 8:06 PM
Hi,

Tim

Tim,

Check out this thread;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39959
Mike Null builds and sells vector grids that are inexpensive, work great and he's a Member here.

Carol VanArnam
12-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Kim- I love your vector cutting table. How did you make the frame for the honeycomb? I've emailed to the link you provided to get prices. Did you make your own because you were tired of your old dirty one? I've noticed after just 1 yr of use mine if very dirty. I haven't figured out a way to clean it. Any regrets on the one you made- is it as good as the original one?