PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw stand project finally completed

Rick Cabot
11-20-2006, 6:13 PM
My wife and I have finally completed our compound miter saw stand project for our new shop. We have been putting this project off for a while...but torrential rain here in Maine.... made it a fete a complete.

It is our first project using 100% Kreg Pocket Joinery. We also decided to try out using MDF and Melamine with the exception of the hardwood face frames.

We are pleased to announce that the new Oneida Pro 2000 system worked like a charm coupled with our 45 degree back-drop hood that we designed and experimented with for a few weeks...... before putting in the final screws.

We installed the Kreg Precision Measuring System and are pleased to report that it is extremely accurate and works flawlessly. Both it and the Master Joinery Kit are amazing tools to work with and I recommend them with out hesitation.

We hope that this will help any other "Creekers" who might be interested in a similar project.

For those of you who are despairing by the lack of sawdust in the photos.......please rest assured that the miter saw (and the rest of the shop ..for that matter) has seen a hard days work and was ONLY cleaned up for it's first "photo shoot."

Regards, Rick Cabot

Rick Cabot
11-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Another picture

Mike Spanbauer
11-20-2006, 6:34 PM
That looks sharp Rick! I like it. And what a nice shop you have! I would certainly enjoy having access to that widebelt sander. It's of the design I plan to have in the next few years.

What did you do for the drop for DC? I own the same DC and am curious. It looks like a 6" drop, 6 x5 x 4 wye, 5" gate, and 4" flex to the MS?

Excellent setup.

Mike

Rick Cabot
11-20-2006, 7:08 PM
Hi Mike....you are right on the money with regard to the miter saw dust collection. That's exactly what is pictured. We are pleased with our Oneida system.....what a job installing it...because the majority of our dust work runs in an accessible crawl space above the shop. But....now that it's in and running...we love it.

The Bridgewood Wide Belt Sander has also been a great addition for us. The written manuel is terrible but the machine runs well. Thank goodness the customer support is good.

Regards, Rick.

lou sansone
11-20-2006, 7:14 PM
great looking installation and very nice shop.. have you done a little shop tour for the creekers here?

lou

Rick Cabot
11-20-2006, 7:21 PM
Hi Lou
Thanks for the kind words. Please see the link below for more detailed pictures of our new shop. It is still a work in progress.
Regards, Rick
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43286&highlight=northern+maine

Jim Becker
11-20-2006, 8:13 PM
Outstanding looking workstation, Rick...and a great shop, too.

Jeff Cybulski
11-20-2006, 9:33 PM
Great Job Rick! - really like your dust collection solution.

Jeff

Zahid Naqvi
11-21-2006, 10:41 AM
nice shop, and way too clean, your dust collection must work real well.

glenn bradley
11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Rick,

Thank you for the saw dust disclaimer. My first reaction was 'Their shop is cleaner than my house!' ;-) I feel much better knowing you cleaned up for pics. The SCMS stand is great as is the rest of the shop based on the pics. Way to go.

P.s. It may be 80 degrees and sunny in California in November but I'll bet your view outside is much more green than the desert basin I live in. Endure the rain and enjoy the view.

Ron Blaise
11-21-2006, 1:00 PM
being too clean & purty you did a great job Rick! Nice setup.

Noah Katz
11-23-2006, 1:14 AM
How effective is the dust collection?

Not to be a wet blanket, but it looks like it might not enclose the saw enough to prevent a lot of dust from escaping.

Thanks

Martin Shupe
11-23-2006, 8:38 AM
Looks great, Rick! I need to build one of those, but I don't have the room. You have a very spacious shop! I like it!

James Manning
11-23-2006, 9:34 AM
Your shop is awesome,

Excellent job on the miter saw station. I may borrow your design when building mine. Does the LOYL help you in the shop? I am currently building a shop and the LOML can't wait to start building stuff.:)

Dave Bureau
11-23-2006, 9:56 AM
Awesome shop Rick.
I need to build a miter stand also. As i'm setting up a new shop. Also interested in getting a closer photo of that clamp rack you got there and are there any plans available for that.
Thanks
Dave

chris del
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Without out a doubt, that is one of the nicest shops I have seen..... Its the perfact compromise between having enough space and still being able to afford heating the place.....
I dont know if building materials are cheaper south of the border, but every shop I see you Americans build is huge!

Chris

Rick Cabot
11-24-2006, 8:33 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the kind comments about the shop. The clamp rack was a Saturday afternoon whim. There are no plans, but if you are interested I will try to get some closer photos and write down some dimensions, joint angles, etc. The rack sits on casters and is moveable throughout the shop. It's a heavy rig, but the angled sides create an inward weighting effect that makes it extremely stable.

Regards, Rick Cabot

Dave Bureau
11-24-2006, 8:35 PM
Rick:
Any photos and measures would be helpful thanks
Dave

Larry Fox
11-25-2006, 9:20 AM
Great looking miter workstation. I followed the link to your shop - WOW!

When I close my eyes at night and dream of my ideal shop - it looks a lot like yours (only not as nice - time for me to add a few things to the dream) :). Outstanding.

Beale Carter
11-25-2006, 9:32 AM
What a nice shop! I could only dream of one that nice. I guess I could take over my game room, :) , but my 15 year old son would not like that.
The link to your shop pictures shows you to be very organised, and neat. Well done, Beale.

John Petsche
12-28-2013, 9:34 PM
nice example of miter saw dust hood. Thanks for the pictures. Are you happy with the effectiveness of the dust collection?