PDA

View Full Version : Dye BLO now what ??

Ben Roman
11-20-2006, 6:10 PM
Hello all,

I managed to fix the crown molding on my clock project. I reapplied the dye and it all matches :) I applied BLO to the wood and it really popped the grain :) Do I apply the wipe on poly right over the BLO or do I sand it first then apply it??

Rookie Ben

Martin Shupe
11-20-2006, 8:25 PM
Hello all,

I managed to fix the crown molding on my clock project. I reapplied the dye and it all matches :) I applied BLO to the wood and it really popped the grain :) Do I apply the wipe on poly right over the BLO or do I sand it first then apply it??

Rookie Ben

I use waterlox over BLO, but I wait a couple weeks to make sure the BLO is really, really dry. I would do the same for poly. No need to sand, if you sanded before you put the BLO on. Maybe rub with steel wool or white scratchpads if you have some bumps in the BLO.

Jim Becker
11-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Yes, wait for the oil to cure (it will lose its smell when it's cured) OR put a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac over the oil after it's on for about a week and then proceed with your intended top coats. Consider using a thinned mixture (50/50) of alkyd varnish rather than polyurethane for a more transparent finish. It's every bit as "durable"...in fact, it will be harder...and will break you of the habit of putting poly on everything, even when it's really not indicated. (Actually, I'd just use shellac for a top coat on a project like this...)

Steve Schoene
11-20-2006, 9:41 PM
Great, I'm glad you got the crown to look like you want. I agree with Jim. Shellac would make a good top coat over the BLO. Or, if you want to use a varnish, a traditional resin varnish would be a better choice than polyurethane which is best suited for floors and industrial surfaces.

Jerry Olexa
11-22-2006, 9:31 PM
I also would stick w BLO and shellac. The poly may give you a look you don't really want...Shellac for a clock would have plenty of durability AND its easily renewable and repairable and IMHO looks better.