PDA

View Full Version : Eletric Wood Splitter????

Charles McKinley
11-20-2006, 6:06 PM
Hi All,

I had had surgery a couple of weeks ago so splitting by hand is out for at least 6 more weeks.:(

I tried making kindling.... not a pleasant experience.

A friend of mine and I brought in 4 pick-uploads of wood the other day but it almost all needs split in half again to burn really well in the fireplace.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the little eletrice splitters? I'm not dragging it back outside to the gas spliter and throwing it back in.

Thanks All

Dennis Peacock
11-21-2006, 8:29 AM
I don't know about the electric splitters Charles....but I always go by the rule of more power is better when it comes to splitting wood. ;) :D

I hope your recovery goes very quickly.

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 9:25 AM
I've seen them demonstrated (Fisch) and they seemed to work as advertised.

'Hope you heal fast!

Bill Lewis
11-21-2006, 10:30 AM
My neighbor has the Fisch. I borrowed it a couple of years ago to split up a bunch of firewood that I got from another neighbor's house. I was surprised at how well it worked. I was able to split up some pretty good size pieces too. I did have to split one side and then the other, but once it was broken open, the rest was "easy" The down side is that it sits too low, and can be hard on the back. I ended up propping it up on a plank, and some logs, still a little too low, but better.

Tyler Howell
11-21-2006, 2:27 PM
Any one out there built one :confused:
Was thinking Hydraulic more for fun and using some spare parts I have around.

Al Killian
11-21-2006, 4:16 PM
I built one useing spare parts. It had plenty of power. Most of the cost was buying the 2hp motor to run the pump or you could get the pump with the built in pump. Etheir way it will be a fun project. Most of my parts came from a junk towmotor at work.

Michael Morgan
11-21-2006, 7:32 PM
Charles, I am about an hour away from you but if you ever want a huge load of slabs you can have them and I will load your truck or trailer. Maybe to far to be worth it but it's just a thought. Mike

Charles McKinley
11-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the generous offer. I am surrounded by Amish and English mills. Given the price of gas it would be cheaper to get them here.

Charles McKinley
11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Tyler,

Check out this site:

http://www.logsplittersource.com/

They use a 11gpm 2 stage pump. The 12 ton uses a 1.5 hp eletric motor and 3" ram, 16 T, 2 HP, 3.5" ram, 20T 4" ram 3 hp motor, if gas they use a 6 and 8 hp motors. What are you planing to use for a hydraulic tank?

Tyler Howell
11-22-2006, 8:39 AM
Hi Tyler,

Check out this site:

http://www.logsplittersource.com/

They use a 11gpm 2 stage pump. The 12 ton uses a 1.5 hp eletric motor and 3" ram, 16 T, 2 HP, 3.5" ram, 20T 4" ram 3 hp motor, if gas they use a 6 and 8 hp motors. What are you planing to use for a hydraulic tank?
Thanks Chuck,
I'll check it out.