PDA

View Full Version : Need some enraving help

Mike Burkeen
11-20-2006, 3:56 PM
I am in need of someone to do an engraving project for me. I sent a PM to the closest person on the list and so far no response. I turned a "wooden wine bottle pepper grinder" and need to have the "label" engraved. I really dont know anything about the whole engraving process so I am not real sure that this is even possible. It is approx 4X3 inches and is 2 1/2 in diameter. I can upload or email a picture if that helps to deteremine if this can be done.

Any takers?

Guy Hilliard
11-20-2006, 6:25 PM
Mike;

I can do that. Send me the artwork and I will return a quote.

Guy Hilliard

Mike Burkeen
11-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I really appreciate the response I have gotten on this. For some reason I cant attach a photo to a "PM" so I will post a photo of the "bottle" so you guys can see more of what I was talking about. I dont have Corel or photoshop so how would I go about creating the "artwork".

Steve McKee
11-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Mike, where are you located?

Keith Outten
11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
I am in need of someone to do an engraving project for me. I sent a PM to the closest person on the list and so far no response. I turned a "wooden wine bottle pepper grinder" and need to have the "label" engraved. I really dont know anything about the whole engraving process so I am not real sure that this is even possible. It is approx 4X3 inches and is 2 1/2 in diameter. I can upload or email a picture if that helps to deteremine if this can be done.

Any takers?

Mike,

You need to let our engravers know what you want engraved on the label. If there is a graphic you are going to provide they need to know that. Any text you want engraved is also necessary, then they can design the engraving artwork file and email a copy to you for approval with a price quote before any engraving is done.

By the way I think the wooden wine bottle/pepper grinder is very slick :)

Ed Newbold
11-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I really appreciate the response I have gotten on this. For some reason I cant attach a photo to a "PM" so I will post a photo of the "bottle" so you guys can see more of what I was talking about. I dont have Corel or photoshop so how would I go about creating the "artwork".

1. Do you have some idea of what you're thinking about for a label?
2. Do you need engraving around the neck (like, under the cork) too?

I do work in CorelDRAW, PhotoGrav, plus I have a rotary attachment for my ULS machine.

Mike Burkeen
11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Steve, I am in just outside Memphis Tn

Kieth, Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully this isnt too out of place for this type of requsest.

Ed, I really dont have the artwork done I just have an idea in my head. I really dont have access to CorelDRAW or photoshop or anything like that. I will try to describe what I am looking for. Imagine if you will:

Single line border around maybe 1/8" in from the edge. (maybe fancy corners ?? )

"Pirocchi Private Label" (Possibly in 2 or 3 seperate lines to make letters larger in a Fancy Cursive Script font)

Some sort of graphic. (Clip art .. bunch of grapes ?? I'm kinda open on this one)

"Philly's Finest" (below the graphic in same script/font as above)

It would be pretty cool to engrave around the larger part of the cork "Established 1986" but this is not necessary.

Hopefully this gives you guys some idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

Mitchell Andrus
11-21-2006, 1:40 PM
Mike,

Two things:

1. There are plenty of private label wines out there for design tips. Copy a wheel, don't design a new one.

2. There are a few of us here who are pretty good at laser cut inlay/marquetry. A label made from veneer applied like a real label in 4 or 5 different woods might be just the ticket. See the wall plaques I make at my site for some idea of what can be done. For one or two it might be a stretch, and too steep a learning curve.... If you're doing a run of 50....

Mitch

Michael McDuffie
11-21-2006, 4:06 PM
Mike, that pepper grinder looks awesome.

I’m in Washington state so shipping won’t be attractive but I thought I’d chime in on the artwork question.

You can create a rough draft of what you are after in MS Word and email it to the engraver. If you use Word and the engraver has the fonts, he will be able to import it directly to Corel. In fact, the laser behaves as a regular Windows printer and will accept output from nearly any Windows program.

Sending the engraver a file of what you are after will save time on his end and help to avoid confusion.

Michael

PS, it's a bit spartan but here is an example of a Word document.

Mike Burkeen
11-21-2006, 7:14 PM
Mitchell , That inlay is AWESOME but you are probably correct. I am sure it would be abit out of my price range for a "one of a kind" bottle like this. However if all goes well I might be doing more. You know how it goes .. you show one person and 3 more say "I want one"

Michael, Thanks for the help on the graphics for the label. So MS Word will work huh? I can definitely make up a rough draft then. You are probably right on the shipping. But thanks for the insight.

Keith Outten
11-21-2006, 9:06 PM
I hate to break in with a commercial but we are nearing the end of our November Fund Drive and have a ways to go before we make our bare bones costs for the year.

Its time to belly up to the bar folks and show your support for this Forum and all the great help and information you receive here. Click on the Donations link in my signature and get those Contributor 2007 titles...how bout it?

Mike Burkeen
11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
No probelm there. .. Keith. The knowledge I have gained from the woodturners here is priceless! Kinda nice having a place to learn and laugh all at the same time. The world needs more "Sawmill Creek's"

Think of it .. For less than the price of ONE board foot of some exotic wood, you can get an unlimited amount of advice. You cant put a price on that... Count me in. Paypal on the way.

Keith Outten
11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mike,

As the Moderator of the Laser Engraving and CNC Forum I would really like to see a very high percentage of our Forum Members show their support by donating. Most of you are working professionals and gain from what you learn/share here not to mention the files that are shared. Certainly worth your support so please get your Contributor 2007 title by donating this month.