PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the Family

John Hart
11-20-2006, 3:14 PM
I would like to introduce to everyone, our latest addition. This is Squirt. Named by my daughters because she was the runt of the litter. She is an AKC Black Lab that, unfortunately, was kicked by a horse and the buyer no longer wanted her. So, our neighbors asked if we would like a free puppy.

Squirt is 8 weeks old and loves her bed in the barn and seems to love sleep in cedar shavings in the shop. She romps pretty good for being kicked so hard.

Glenn Clabo
11-20-2006, 4:15 PM
John...
Congrats and you have the perfect place for your Squirt. As the owner of 2 labs I can tell you that you are in for some fun.

Smart...lovable...smart...obedient...smart... Well you get what I think about labs. One of mine is laying on my feet as I type.

Rob Russell
11-20-2006, 4:46 PM
. She romps pretty good for being kicked so hard.

Congrats on the new puppy! Is there any permanent damage or just a lot of bruising that has to heal?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2006, 5:00 PM
Congrats on the lab puppy John! Labs rate pretty high in my book of loveable dogs. You didn't get horsey too did you John? :confused: Is this a hidden gloat maybe?:confused: :eek: :D

Dan Gill
11-20-2006, 5:33 PM
Labs are great. We had one for years that my oldest kids grew up with. That dog had the most developed conscience I've ever seen. We'd come home and find her hiding under the coffee table. All we could figure was that she had been on the bed. I'd have to spank her (two little pats on her back) before she'd act normal again. Then all was right with the world.

Jim King
11-20-2006, 5:39 PM
Very nice story. You will never regret it.

John Hart
11-20-2006, 7:04 PM
Congrats on the new puppy! Is there any permanent damage or just a lot of bruising that has to heal?

Thanks Rob....ya know, I really don't think there's any permanent damage. She's very young and seems to do ok beatin' up the cats.;) I think she'll heal just fine. I'm just glad she's getting a good home.

You didn't get horsey too did you John?

You gotta be kidding!! The puppy getting kicked is just one more reason not to.;) :D

I really love this little pup's disposition. The family is really in love with her and I've never seen the girls take care of a pet this well. She's going to be a treasure. I can tell that already. Thanks everyone. :)

Brett Baldwin
11-20-2006, 9:01 PM
My dad has had a yellow lab for 13 years and he's been a great dog the whole time. He had his puppy chewing phase of course but like Dan's, I didn't even have to find the item to know when he'd done it. He'd be off to the side, ears down, waiting for you to find the victim of his tantrum. Seperation anxiety seemed to be the main culprit and he tamed that back quickly. And I'll forth, fifth, whatever, the comment on smart. I've never known a smarter breed in general.

Steve Ash
11-21-2006, 8:25 AM
Nice addition to the family John, I'm a bit partial I have owned and bred AKC Labs for 23 years now. Like it was mentioned, once they get through that "puppy chewing phase" you'll have one of the best friends in a pet you could ever ask for. A good idea is to also make sure Squirt gets lots of social time in the house too, it seems to make them a even better addition to the family.

My son Steve Jr. just lost his black lab a few months ago and as soon as my female comes into heat again we'll be having pups so that Steve can have another companion, and we've had a few requests from others for a puppy. Enjoy that little cutie, she's a keeper!

Gary Herrmann
11-21-2006, 8:29 AM
Good choice - especially rescuing a hurt puppy. We've had labs for 17 years. Steve has a good point about house time for socialization. They're a great breed. My black and yellow are eyeballing me right now because I'm not paying them enough attention at the moment.

Dennis Peacock
11-21-2006, 8:30 AM
Congrats John on the new puppy. Now, where's the horsey to go along with the doggy? :p :D :D

John Bailey
11-21-2006, 8:32 AM
Nice goin' John. Looks like you've got a friend for life.

John

Robert Mickley
11-21-2006, 1:03 PM
Congrats John. I love my labs all 3 of them.

Labs are great. We had one for years that my oldest kids grew up with. That dog had the most developed conscience I've ever seen. We'd come home and find her hiding under the coffee table. All we could figure was that she had been on the bed. I'd have to spank her (two little pats on her back) before she'd act normal again. Then all was right with the world.

Dan, not mine. IF you catch them on the bed or the couch they barely acknowladge your presence :D

Mark Pruitt
11-21-2006, 8:55 PM
the buyer no longer wanted her.
Their loss, your gain. Glad she found a loving home. Congratulations! Labs are so much fun.

John Hart
11-21-2006, 9:03 PM
This little squirt is a shop dog!!! I can't believe it. Today, she followed me into the shop...rolled in some shavings and ate a bunch of sawdust under the TS. This is so cool!:)

Doug Shepard
11-21-2006, 9:14 PM
Awesome! Puppies are so much fun. Looks like you got a real good one too. Enjoy.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-21-2006, 9:19 PM
Awesome addition to the family! Congrats!

Gary Herrmann
11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
This little squirt is a shop dog!!! I can't believe it. Today, she followed me into the shop...rolled in some shavings and ate a bunch of sawdust under the TS. This is so cool!:)

Just make sure she isn't in the house when she urps up the shavings...

John Miliunas
11-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Sheeesh, John...You're just getting it ALL together, ain't 'ya?! :D Labs are great family pets. Looks like a win/win situation for both, your family and Squirt! Congrats. :) :cool:

Steve LaFara
11-23-2006, 1:25 AM
Just make sure she does not get any walnut!!!!!! Very bad for dogs.

Cute little bugger! Congrat's!