PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2006, 1:15 PM
Howdy,

A bit late today, had network and login issues. It's Thanksgiving week and time for family visiting.

I finished up the cutting boards and Confetti lamps that we're giving as Christmas gifts this year to family and friends. I also got 3 bowls turned to add as additional gifts where needed. I'm trying to get all the Christmas gifts done so I can at least enjoy the last half of December. ;)

It's visiting family and friends this week...so I would like to say:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to each and every one of you.
May you all have a blessed and safe holiday with your family and friends.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!!

Matt Meiser
11-20-2006, 1:38 PM
Saturday morning we put up Christmas lights and then in the afternoon I installed some mudflaps on my truck and took care of some things around the house. Sunday morning didn't go as planned as the washer overflowed for some reason and ran down a heating duct into the furnace. Luckily about the only damage was a wet filter which needed to be replaced anyway, but still a big mess. Then we went to do some Christmas shopping and had dinner at my parents.

JayStPeter
11-20-2006, 1:47 PM
I haven't responded the last few weeks, but I've been working on finishing the other half of the basement over the last few weekends. Framing and waste plumbing are done. This weekend I installed a subpanel and have so far pulled all the power from my shop to be moved to the subpanel. It's pretty tedious unraveling all the wiring I put in a couple years ago. Sure wish I'd done a subpanel in the first place. It would've made it a lot easier then and now. I wasn't expecting to put a bathroom in back then so I didn't count on a couple more circuits (including the sewage sump). The panel would've been full without leaving any openings to eventually run some circuits to the garage. The builder put one 15 amp outlet in there .. .sheesh.

glenn bradley
11-20-2006, 1:59 PM
Fially settled on a router table cabinet plan after much debate. Got started cutting the BB ply panels. Had a wonderful lunch date with the LOML and did some yard work.

Chip Olson
11-20-2006, 2:35 PM
I made the irritating discovery that I had to re-cut some of the rails and stiles for the cabinet door panels, but did manage to get the first panel glued up (actually once of the base cabinet end panels).

Was confused by the notation "U4-DR-S" on the end of a board that was actually a base end panel rail (i.e. B1-EP-R). Then realized it wasn't my handwriting. This is the wood Larry Fox sent me that he was going to use in his kitchen project; apparently he came up with the exact same notation I did. (I've actually been bundling identical pieces with masking tape and writing the notation on the tape.)

Jack Ferrell
11-20-2006, 3:07 PM
Took a one day class on scrapers and finishing from David Marks at Woodcraft in San Antonio. I did learn a lot and had a good time.

John Timberlake
11-20-2006, 3:48 PM
Did some yard clean up including cutting grape vines off any arbor next to the house that were growing onto the roof. Took several loads of yard clippings back to the burn pile. Put the final coats of finish on a bed for my son (posted elsewhere). Watched Ohio State beat Michigan. Quite a family feud since my daughter went to UM and my son to OSU.

John Hart
11-20-2006, 3:53 PM
Spent some time putting heating ducts.....fell off a ladder (twice) ouch.:( Ran some electrical wire....raked some leaves....moved some furniture. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:)

Jim O'Dell
11-20-2006, 4:19 PM
My shop time is chronicled in my shop rehab pages. Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a happy Turkey Day!! Have a great week. Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2006, 4:43 PM
Saturday I turned a bunch of bottle stoppers for Sharon's Christmas gift list. Sunday watched a little football and assisted Sharon in becoming Officially Abbyserated. She turned her first 2 pens...one bocote and one is Holyland olivewood....the olive wood is her Mother's Christmas gift. She did very well!

Jack Diemer
11-20-2006, 5:07 PM
Finally got around to upgrading my Cyclone Blower/Motor. It really sucks!

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/jackdiemer/?action=view&slideshow=true

Ben Roman
11-20-2006, 6:24 PM
Went to the Bentwood Lamination Class @ woodcraft and met my hero David Marks. He was very good learned alot.

Ben

Mike Heidrick
11-20-2006, 6:44 PM
Put up new ceiling fan in the nursery. It is a combination of a plain white closemount fan and the blades of the kid colored one my wife liked. Colored one did not come in closemount and 8' ceilings did not work with teh 5" down drop very well. Bought teh closemount Saturday and combined them. Works great - both fans had same diameter blades.

Also changed out the power outlets and installed one new outlet box and one new switch.

The closet in the nursery got cleaned out and cleaned up. I am preparing to repair a hole in the plaster with some drywall.

Got to work on the Deere for awhile as well this weekend. Took the 72" mid mount mower off the 3320 and stored it under the boat out of the way. Also got over to Deere to pickup some filters and oil for an oil change.

Mark Pruitt
11-20-2006, 6:46 PM
Built a photo tent and took shots of previous weekends' turnings. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46221) Kind of a lazy weekend, but I needed it.

Jack Dickey
11-20-2006, 7:31 PM
Alright I confess , I sluffed off this weekend .. Nothing got done that I wanted to do .. I was out in all the nastee weather we had Wednesday from before daylight till after dark .. Then back out in the cold all day Thursday .. In bed from Thursday evening till this morning ..
Dennis , maybe we can catch up , you're probably here by now ..

Jim Becker
11-20-2006, 8:09 PM
Well, I got some shop time this weekend and did another installment of my cherry vanity project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792). I'm quite pleased with how it's progressing at this point. Other than that, the weekend was normal family things, like schlepping to dance class and a birthday party, family dinner and family movie. But the "weekend" lives on all week...today I was outside using the big, orange, diesel "crow bar" :D to demolish the wooden deck behind the house. (Oh, I love my backhoe!) The deck needs to go away to make room for the planned home addition. I filled up most of an 8 cu yd container and if I'm lucky, there will be just enough room to fit most of the remaining material when I resume work tomorrow morning. I probably would have completed the job today, but we had parent/teacher conferences in the late afternoon...

Laurie Brown
11-20-2006, 8:15 PM
I used my shop time this weekend to clean, mostly. Rearranged a few things and cleaned up to make room for my new Delta Hybrid saw that I'm picking up tomorrow!!! Wheee! I can't wait. Also moved the webcam to another part of the shop where it can see more of the room.

Once I get the saw all set up and ready to cut, I'm going to put it right to work making those 6 raised panel doors for my cabinet. I can't wait!

Doug Shepard
11-20-2006, 9:08 PM
Made a tiny bit more progress on my DC install. The last 7-8 pics on my ClearVue gallery page have most of it.
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400?page=3
Made a small start on getting some of the wiring for the Bin Level sensor done too, but not much to show yet for that.
Hope to get more done this long weekend. The temp in the GaShop is supposed to be much more condusive to working than last weekend. I should get my space heater out of the shed - I'm going to need it soon.

Zahid Naqvi
11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Went Walnut hunting to the place of John Saxon, a fellow Arkie and creeker. He is a full time woodworker and has a nice all Grrrrreen shop. He gave me a couple of walnut boards at whole sale price and threw in a couple of boards of Gum for no charge, can't refuse a that :D :D . He is one great guy.

But no woodworking, too cold in my garage and I am still arguing with LOML on what the next project should be.

Kirk Poore
11-21-2006, 3:10 PM
I got one tool upgrade done and one furniture project finished. The tool was getting an extension wing for my Powermatic 65 TS, which never had a right wing. A friend alerted me to a PM 66 wing on Craigslist, and after my wife and the seller had confirmed the measurements would match I bought it--$50 for a brand-new wing. It had a slight grinder blemish on the top, so PM had sent the seller a new one. He decided it was time to clear the corner out of his shop after 5 years or so. After repainting to match my saw, I installed it Friday night.

The furniture project was an Arts & Crafts bookshelf for my living room. Here it is:
http://medievaloak.com/images/front_quarter3.jpg

and
http://medievaloak.com/images/front_quarter4.jpg

This has one coat of linseed oil. I added another coat and then wax over that. All oak (mostly red plus a little white), 84 M-T joints, and weighs about a hundred lbs. We've got a lot of very large books, so this will take some books over 14" tall on the lowest center shelf. The center kickout section will be Right Out in future projects--it probably doubled the work.

Kirk

John Gossett
11-21-2006, 5:20 PM
Howdy!

I'm John from Austin and found this forum today googling for wiring information. I am getting a Band Saw next month and have about decided to install conduit to wire it for 240V. Great stuff!

I've been woodworking off & on for a bunch of years but I've been getting serious about it the last two. My goal (hope?) is to make pretty tables and boxes and sell them for extra income when I retire in ~20 years (or less!)

I don't know yet how to post pictures, but here's a link to my flickr sets that has two woodworking projects: Near the top row is one and the very bottom is the other. Also of interest is my nephew's house going up in Germany. Big truck, big crane, one day to install preformed walls on basement to tiles on roof!

http://flickr.com/photos/johngoes/sets/

Oh, yes, this past weekend I built a laundry cabinet for my wife - 6 hours Saturday, 5 hours Sunday - the fastest project ever! (not including finish.) This (long) weekend I've got my first walnut project lined up - a sofa table using 8/4 for legs (tapered) & top and 4/4 for rails. I'm making it based off a Fine Woodworking gallery picture.

Enjoy your weekend!

John Gossett
Cedar Park (suburb of Austin), Texas