PDA

View Full Version : New Spring for Powermatic Band Saw

Jeff Cord
11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I purchased a 14" Powermatic band saw at a recent wood show and just mounted a riser block.
Using a home-made tension gauge (from FWW plans) I cannot get the correct tension on the blade.
While talking to Powermatic support about a different issue I asked about replacing the spring (I'm considering Carter or Iturra) and the tech guy basically said "Don't!!! You'll bend the saw."
Now, looking at the saw it is pretty beefy (I cannot imagine the 14" Delta to be any more sturdy and it appears to accept these springs).
Was this guy just being cautious or should I really stay away from a replacement spring?
thanks,
jeff

Jim DeLaney
11-20-2006, 2:06 PM
...While talking to Powermatic support about a different issue I asked about replacing the spring (I'm considering Carter or Iturra) and the tech guy basically said "Don't!!! You'll bend the saw."
Now, looking at the saw it is pretty beefy (I cannot imagine the 14" Delta to be any more sturdy and it appears to accept these springs).
Was this guy just being cautious or should I really stay away from a replacement spring?
thanks,
jeff

I doubt you'll get any OEM guy to recommend an aftermarket part. They want everything to be OEM, just to be on the cautious side. I'm surprised he didn't add "and you'll void the warranty"...

Eddie Darby
11-20-2006, 2:49 PM
....the tech guy basically said "Don't!!! You'll bend the saw."
thanks,
jeff

Yeah I hate that when it happens....bending a bandsaw into a pretzel !!!:rolleyes:

I would say the tech guy was not being cautious, and I would stay away from the 'tech' guy!! :D

If this happened, then we would all be ranting about how weak and lame bandsaws are. I have an Iturra spring in my Delta 14" and still can't get enough tension.