PDA

View Full Version : Craft Fair

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Well it was a slow weekend at the craft fair. I was disappointed in some ways and kinda surprised in other ways. This was my first craft fair. I did make around $185. I couldn't believe I didn't sell but one pen out of cedar and the other turner didn't sell any. I didn't sell a regular bowl but sold all 4 of my small NE bowls. I sold a cedar and cherry lidded box. I did get a commission for 3 more NE bowls. I also got a commission to do those little change bowls out of cedar. The ones men put their keys and change in. Anyway kinda of a funny day. The other turner told me he just made about enough to pay for his booth space.

John Hart
11-20-2006, 6:12 AM
I guess that means you oughta make lots of NEs for the next one eh Bernie? :) They say that every craft fair has a different flavor of clientele...and you never know what you're gonna get.

Chris Barton
11-20-2006, 7:01 AM
Hi Bernie,

I am glad it wasn't a bust for you. I too had an interest in doing some craft fairs but, after some research found that they are hit or miss. I get many comments on my pens and other woodworking items but, few that want to actually pay for such.

Wayne Bitting
11-20-2006, 7:46 AM
Many people have been trying to get me to go to craft fairs, but by the sounds of it it doesn't always work out. A co-worker makes jewlery and stopped doing basic craft fairs becuase there were too many lookers but no takers. Now they go to art events (town fesitvals and the like) and have been selling out every time. Maybe you can try this route out. I made an order form with pics of my pens and stuck it on the wall outside of my "office" at work, within a half hour all ten spaces were filled. In the past two weeks, I've sold over $800 in pens just through word of mouth at work.

Derek Andrews
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Bernie, it sounds to me like you did ok for your first show, especially with the comissions. It can take a while to figure out what sells and which shows to go to. Generally speaking the more you pay for a booth the better the sales will be. Advertsing and show reputation has a lot to do with it, but at the end of the day it just depends on who comes by. It sometimes only takes one person to really make a show worth going to. FWIW, at the show I did this weekend I sold mainly items in the $15-$25 range.

Jon Shively
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
"In the past two weeks, I've sold over $800 in pens just through word of mouth at work."

Wayne, if I can be so bold, how much are you charging for a pen?

Jim Ketron
11-20-2006, 7:44 PM
Well I hope you had fun Bernie?
I enjoy talking with people at the shows as much as selling.
Dont give up and like said above, sometimes its a hit or miss thing.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the comments and encouragement. Yep Jim I do have about as much fun talking as I do trying to sell. I guess I really didn't know what to expect. By the way the LOML or maybe I should say Grandma took some cash when she made her rounds. It didn't make it back in my bag. :D :p

Corey Hallagan
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM
That wasnt to bad Bernie, hope the next one does better. Now you got some extra gifts for Christmas.

Corey

Barry Stratton
11-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a good time to me, CONGRATS Bernie!

Glenn Hodges
11-21-2006, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the info Bernie, sorry you did not do better.

Glenn Hodges
11-21-2006, 8:24 AM
Thanks for the info Bernie, sorry you did not do better.