PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 71 or Lee Valley

Dave Lehnert
11-19-2006, 11:03 PM
For a hobbyist woodworker will I be disappointed purchasing a #71 over the Lee Valley router plane? I know about the upgrades LV has done but as you know a 71 can be had for much less money.

Scott Quesnelle
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey,

I have a 3rd option for you. What about a wooden router plane. I love mine. Even cheaper and works just as well. I only use mine for final passes on dadoes and things like that. Most of the rough work is done with chisels.

I also have a 71 and am not sure that the LV addons would be useful in my shop. I would go for whichever is cheapest to start.

Scott

Ken Bryant
11-20-2006, 2:28 AM
The fence on the LV is very useful.

Larry Rose
11-20-2006, 7:19 AM
I have both the Stanley 71 and the L-V>. Although the Stanley works, I find the L-V much better. It is easier and more precise to set up. It comes with a very nice fence and it is beautifully made. You won't be

Larry Rose
11-20-2006, 7:22 AM
I meant to say you won't be dissapointed.

Ruston Hughes
11-20-2006, 9:45 AM
Dave,

I went through the same debate in my head and ended up with a 71 1/2 I picked up for $25. I still lust after the LV and may eventually get one, but for now the Stanley does a good job of cleaning up the bottom of dados and I still hve $125 in my pocket.

Alice Frampton
11-20-2006, 2:32 PM
A #71 will do the job in the same way as the LV, so the results (the important bit) won't differ. The LV shines in the ease of set up and so forth, but if you haven't tried it you probably won't miss it and can learn the cutter 'n' clamp shuffle like many before you. ;)

Cheers, Alf

David Marcus Brown
11-20-2006, 4:03 PM
I've been wanting a router plane for a while. Like yourself, I debated the benefits of the LV over an old 71 or 71-1/2. My pragmatic side won out and I picked up a 71-1/2 on eBay for $15. It didn't have any cutters so I'll get those from LV.

I use a little plough plane for most of my grooving and it's just the ticket for most projects. But it recently frustrated me while I was doing some stopped grooves in a desk that I'm building. The grooves were about 16" long. My plough plane is about 6" long. Because the skid on a plough runs its entire length, it doesn't do well w/ short stopped grooves. A longer stopped groove, like 36" long, isn't bad but most of my 16" grooves had to be cut by hand. I'm pretty quick w/ a chisel but I was wanting a router plane pretty badly. But, it wasn't a $135 kind of want . . . that LN Anniversary plane has put a large dent in my "fun money." ;)

Dave Lehnert
11-20-2006, 9:19 PM
Hey,

I have a 3rd option for you. What about a wooden router plane. I love mine. Even cheaper and works just as well. I only use mine for final passes on dadoes and things like that. Most of the rough work is done with chisels.

I also have a 71 and am not sure that the LV addons would be useful in my shop. I would go for whichever is cheapest to start.

Scott

I have a set of plans form Popular Woodworking magazine to make a wooden router plane. Most likley the way I will go. Hard to spend over $100 for something I could make and be usable.
This is in no way against Lee Valley. It is because of their good service and great products I am even considering the purchase in the first place. I may spring for the Med. Shoulder plane instead.

Jay Davidson
11-22-2006, 4:06 AM
The LV router plane is really well built and adjusts accurately and has a good fence. "Buy quality and only cry once."

John Powers
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I made the wooden one from the Plans mentioned. Used Ash and bought the stanley cutters. Its a hoot. Easy and fun to build and it actually works. they give a source for the hardware. The way the LV cutters disassemble for sharpening may be good to have but again the Stanleys work fine. You make a pass and tap the cutter and make another.