PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Wagon

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I am building a wooden wagon for my grandson like I had when I was a boy which my grandfather gave me. I am at the point of finishing. I had thought about spar varnish becuase of the UV protection. I also wondered about putting BLO on first and then 2 or 3 coats of spar varnish. This wagon will get played with a bunch and just wanted a good protection coat on it as I am sure it will be left outside at times. Thanks.

Steve Schoene
11-20-2006, 3:22 PM
I thought wagons were painted red. A solid color paint--in this case I would recommend a high quality exterior gloss enamel--will outlast any clear finish by as much as an order of magnitude.

If you must have a clear finish, skip the BLO, and apply a good marine spar varnish. These can only be found at boating supply stores. The good brands are Interlux Schooner, Pettitt Captains, and Epifanes Gloss.

I wouldn't stop at 2 or 3 coats, unless being left outside at times means only infrequent times. Otherwise I would follow the manufacturers instructions and apply about 6 coats. Also, If you go the clear finish route, be prepared to check or dings or scrapes that penetrate the finish and repair them promptly.

Matt P
11-21-2006, 12:09 AM
I've read many places about BLO as a first coat, but after much reading am gradually coming to believe that the BLO doesn't really do much except darken the wood.
What does everyone think? Part of me feels heretical for saying that!:eek:
Matt

Keel McDonald
11-21-2006, 7:02 AM
Bernie

Your thread reminded me of this website (http://www.samallen.com/wwwboard/messages/508.html) I had saved in my favorites. It talks about several different types of finishes for toys, etc. I have yet to try any of them, but plan to soon. Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Keel I went to that website and some interesting info. Again Thanks.