PDA

View Full Version : 36' trusses on a 16' trailer!

Lynn Kasdorf
11-19-2006, 8:03 PM
I came across these free trusses. Just what I need for a couple new buildings on the farm, but how to haul them?

I had a friend who was trying to scare up the use of a 40' trailer he knows about, but that didn't happen in time, and the owner needed these gone by TG.

So- I did it myself. First we loaded the 26' trusses. This was not too bad. A couple feet over the front and back, no problem.

I was thinking that I'd have to cut the 36' trusses in half and move them that way. It wouldn't be the end of the world because trusses have all kinds of splices anyway.

But my helper suggested what you see in the pic. It actually worked well! The shorter trusses stacked up high enough that the long ones overshot the truck bed.

Because the shocks in my truck are gone, I couldn't get much over 25 mph before the whole thing started to oscillate.

I just thought you all might enjoy this.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/ironhoarder/trusses_on_trailer.jpg

Carl Eyman
11-19-2006, 8:10 PM
Good thinking! Too often we fail to think "outside the box".

Chuck Saunders
11-19-2006, 8:24 PM
I was thinking you could stack them on edge laying on one of the top chord. Looks like a good way to get some trusses.
Chuck

Dave Ray
11-19-2006, 8:28 PM
Keep that helper around. Must have been a nervous drive home, glad you made it safe and sound. :eek: :eek:

Jim Becker
11-19-2006, 9:14 PM
Oh, my! Congrats on the trusses. But I'm glad I was NOT following you on the road!!

Bryan Somers
11-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Job well done and most glad you got them home ok. I have experienced that trailer sway not a pleasent feeling at all

Robert Mickley
11-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh you would fit in good around here:D I hauled the steel for my cousin for the machinery shed. 34 foot sheets on a 24 foot gooseneck trailer.

Set two stacks of skids on the trailer to get as high as the goose neck and then loaded the sheets, with 8 feet over the gooseneck and 2 off the back :D