PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw arbor nut

terry hansen
11-19-2006, 6:06 PM
Ok - I'm a klutz and can admit it. I need ideas on how to keep the blade arbor nut (powermatic 64a) from disappearing into the tubing of a dust collector (or into a pile of sawdust) when dropped while changing a blade.
I've thought about a magnet but haven't determined the best placement would be.
All suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Seth Poorman
11-19-2006, 6:22 PM
Hey Terry
I always loosen the nut and then put my left index finger on the end of the arbor while unscrewing the nut with my right hand until it until unscrews onto my left index finger...
Ive only lost a nut twice to the bottom of the cabinet saw in 20 yrs.

Ken Garlock
11-19-2006, 7:38 PM
Terry, I everyone of us has dropped or will drop an arbor nut down in the bottom of the saw.:( I did it and had to rumage through the contents of the cabinet bottom to find it.

Seth has a good idea. But since I am right handed with a left tilt saw, I would have to reach over the blade with my left hand to get to the arbor on the right side. My only solution has been to pay undivided attention to the removal of the nut, so far so good.

Good Luck....

Brian Hale
11-19-2006, 7:51 PM
Get a 1" rare earth magnet (Lee Valley sells them) and attach a string to it with epoxy. Put it on the end of the nut after you loosen it and if you do drop it it'll be real quick/east to retrieve.

Brian :)

Bruce Page
11-19-2006, 8:57 PM
My only solution has been to pay undivided attention to the removal of the nut, so far so good.

Good Luck....
Ken's solution works for me also. Sure, I've dropped it once or twice but I never have the DC running and it’s always been fairly easy to find.

John Bush
11-19-2006, 9:05 PM
I have a pen sized extension thingy with a strong magnet on the end. I found it next to the Butterfingers and the superglue in the impulse section at the cash register of the local hardware store for ~$2.00. It extends to 16"+ and i just stick it under the table, then grad and extend it as needed, retrieve the wayward nut, retract, and stick back under the table 'til next time. JCB.

Luciano Burtini
11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
May seem obvious, but lift the blade to max height before changing the blades. Makes dropping the nut a little less likely.

Just a thought....

Hoa Dinh
11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't know if the Delta arbor nut will fit your saw, but if it does, invest $20 in a Delta Arbor Nut Assembly. See toward the bottom of this page (http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Parts_2161.aspx).

Besides virtually eliminating the chance to drop the arbor nut, a nice thing is that the face of the washer is ground flat.

It's one of the best $20 I've spent.

I saw them at a Rockler store as well.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00004Y9IO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Eddie Darby
11-20-2006, 5:02 AM
Let it fall, and have ready a long stick with a magnet on the end, so you can fish it out from above.

Mike Cutler
11-20-2006, 5:07 AM
Ken's solution works for me also. Sure, I've dropped it once or twice but I never have the DC running and it’s always been fairly easy to find.

I had the DC running. The nut made all the way to the bag.:o I just raise the blade all the way and it gives me enough room. Oh yeah, I also turn the DC off now.:D You only make that mistake once.... Hopefully.

Doug Shepard
11-20-2006, 7:07 AM
I was watching that Keanu Reeves/Gene Hackman movie "The Replacements" this weekend - the one where they smear some super-stickum on the receivers hands to make sure he catches the pass. Maybe you could get some of that stuff and put it on your hand before spinning the nut off?:D

Byron Trantham
11-20-2006, 7:49 AM
I have a pen sized extension thingy with a strong magnet on the end. I found it next to the Butterfingers and the superglue in the impulse section at the cash register of the local hardware store for ~$2.00. It extends to 16"+ and i just stick it under the table, then grad and extend it as needed, retrieve the wayward nut, retract, and stick back under the table 'til next time. JCB.

I do the same thing. I buy these gizmo's ready made at the annual woodworking show. I also keep a flahslight in the shop just to help locate the sucker!:rolleyes:

Bruce Wrenn
11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't know if the Delta arbor nut will fit your saw, but if it does, invest $20 in a Delta Arbor Nut Assembly. See toward the bottom of this page (http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Parts_2161.aspx).

Besides virtually eliminating the chance to drop the arbor nut, a nice thing is that the face of the washer is ground flat.

It's one of the best $20 I've spent.

I saw them at a Rockler store as well.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00004Y9IO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg They make them for both left tilt (PM) and right tilt (Delta saws). 5/8-12 acme threads- industry standard for table saws. Best kept secret ever.

Joe Jensen
11-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Ok - I'm a klutz and can admit it. I need ideas on how to keep the blade arbor nut (powermatic 64a) from disappearing into the tubing of a dust collector (or into a pile of sawdust) when dropped while changing a blade.
I've thought about a magnet but haven't determined the best placement would be.
All suggestions/ideas are welcome.

You jinx'd me. I dropped mine tonight. Minor pain as the SawStop has a dust collection hood and duct directly under the blade. I had to disconnect the duct to retrieve the nut. Just a couple of minutes, and they were thoughtful enough to use a thumbscrew type clamp...joe

Tyler Howell
11-21-2006, 9:53 AM
I keep a couple spares handy JIC.
DAMHIKT:o