PDA

View Full Version : thanks.. something to share

Barbara Buhse
11-19-2006, 5:00 PM
I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me with advice about craft shows, and especially those who have shared some beautiful designs.
I thought I'd post my best selling design here for anyone who wants it... its pretty simple, but believe it or not, it has been selling better than any other ornament! Download it and be surprised, since I don't know if I can cut and paste it. Its here in Corel 12

Barbara Buhse
11-19-2006, 7:49 PM
right click and "save as..."

Bart Leetch
11-19-2006, 8:27 PM
Sorry not going to happen on my computer.:)

Keith Outten
11-19-2006, 9:20 PM
Thanks Barbara,

Your CDR file opened in Corel X3 for me perfectly.

Dennis Kotlowski
11-20-2006, 5:29 AM
Bart,

You have to save it as menorah ornament.cdr (add the .cdr to the end of the file name)

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Ed Newbold
11-20-2006, 2:07 PM
Sorry not going to happen on my computer.:) As someone else mentioned, Bart, you have to right-click on the link and save the file, typing in the filename use see in the link. This forum doesn't default "saveTo" binary files, like Corel .CDR files, so you have to enter the complete filename. Cheers,

Ed Newbold
11-20-2006, 2:10 PM
I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me with advice about craft shows, and especially those who have shared some beautiful designs.
I thought I'd post my best selling design here for anyone who wants it... its pretty simple, but believe it or not, it has been selling better than any other ornament! Download it and be surprised, since I don't know if I can cut and paste it. Its here in Corel 12
Thanks very much for sharing it. I, for one, appreciate your contribution greatly.

Pete Thomas
11-20-2006, 8:26 PM
Another way to save the file.

Bart, when you were at the screen as you displayed above, go to file and select save as to a file. When the file is saved if the prefix is not .cdr change it to .cdr. I save a lot of files this way on my mac using safari. When saved the prefix is .cdr.html after the file saves I just delete the .html.

-pete

Ed Newbold
11-21-2006, 7:31 AM
Another way to save the file.

Bart, when you were at the screen as you displayed above, go to file and select save as to a file. When the file is saved if the prefix is not .cdr change it to .cdr. I save a lot of files this way on my mac using safari. When saved the prefix is .cdr.html after the file saves I just delete the .html.

-pete This is what you should see when downloading attached files:

Pic 1 - Right-click on the file for this display. Select Save Link As.

Pic 2 - This is the display you get next. Notice that the file name in the message is not the same as the file name in your Save box. You have to change it to filename.cdr where filename is whatever you want it to be. The important part is the addition of .cdr to the name.

Pic 3 - So, in this instance all I did was type in the same name as displayed in the original message: menorahOrnament.cdr and clicked the Save button.

That's it in a nutshell!

Pete Thomas
11-21-2006, 6:24 PM
Ed, your method does not always work. I just verified your method step by step as you outlined and actual saved file is the Sawmill Creek small gif image. You are one of the lucky ones that is able to download the way you indicate. Many months ago my system worked as you described and then I started getting the Sawmill gif image. Don't really know what changed. That's why I just open the attached file in the webpage and the do a save as from the file pull down, works every time.

-pete

Glenn Corser
11-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I was having the same problem downloading using the right click/save target method - just got the Sawmill Creek logo. Then I inadvertently clicked with the left mouse button and got Bart's screen. Went back, right clicked, etc and was able to save fine. That is now how I download cdr files.

Pete Andrew
11-22-2006, 6:28 AM
I also periodically have had trouble downloading various files from this forum. The usual tactic of right-clicking on the link, choosing Save As, and then ensuring that the file is saved with ".cdr" at the end of it (I am a pedant - it is a suffix not a prefix - sorry!) sometimes doesn't work.
On occasion I too have found that I get the SawMill Creek logo in my Corel file, and that is normally because I have tried to download the file without having logged into the forum.
Other times I get a "Dummy%Layer%Dummy%Layer" showing up in the layers docker, with nothing in it, and in effect a blank page. This is what is happening for me with this particular download that Barbara has offered us. I am running Corel Draw version 9, so I suspect that she and most of the rest of you are using a more recent version, which is understandable really!
All of which probably doesn't help much, but at least highlights a few issues - perhaps we could have some instructions from the top in terms of protocol for downloadables (a quick search of the forum's FAQ didn't help me) - maybe it would help if we could agree what variables should be stated by the doner when udloading the file for the rest of us. Things like what version of Corel it is in - PC or Mac (does this make a difference?) and any other clarifications that others see fit as this seems to have been a bit of an issue of late.

Todd Jones
11-22-2006, 7:16 AM
I was having the same problem with getting a small sawmill creek logo when I stumbled across a solution. So if Ed's method won't work first left click on the file this will bring up the code file.all the xx stuff) Then hit the back arrow next follow Ed's instructions for downloading and they will work every time I know all of this is a pain but it's not too bad when you get the hang of it.
by the way not every file needs the left click thing first to find out if it will work with Ed’s instructions start with his first right click and go to save as when the screen comes up if the file name is attachment.gft you will need to go back and left click on the file name first. I hope this helps

Jim A. Walters
11-22-2006, 7:48 AM
Recently the change was made that you have to be a registered member (not contributing member) of Sawmill Creek in order to view pictures or download files. Reference the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46277.

It seems that bandwidth is beginning to be an issue.

This might have something to do with the problems downloading files recently. I have also noticed that Windows Update wants me to install IE 7.0. Maybe this has something to do with it also? It's going to be a while before I go to 7.0.

Jim Walters

Ray Mighells
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I had problems downloading with IE so I downloaded Mozolla Firefox and now have no problems. Incidently, thank you Barbara for the pattern. When it is cut out, the waste candleabra can also be used.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-22-2006, 5:07 PM

Well Barbara thanks for sharing. After seeing yours I thought I would pull a favorite one out to share also. I have made hundreds of these and give most away. Some are stained some are sprayed metallic gold and others have been sprayed with that stone look paint. I have done some in purple, some in blue and a few in fluorescent green:D Well actually my daughter did the green one because it is her favorite color.

These are great freestanding giveaways. It is always a blessing to give stuff like this away without trying to market or expecting anything in return but the joy of the smiles you receive by far are well worth it.

If any one needs the 3mm Russian birch ply for these you can PM your email and I'll send you info on our 3mm package.