PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop buying

Ken Werner
11-19-2006, 3:50 PM
Can those of you who have bought a Saw Stop share your buying experiences? I live in rural Central NY state, and the is no dealer anywhere near me. The SS website lists freight costs at $500. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks,
Ken

CPeter James
11-19-2006, 4:04 PM
Drive over to New Hampshire, there are several stocking dealers here and NO SALES TAX!!!

CPeter

Ken Werner
11-19-2006, 4:11 PM
I was thinking of precisely that. Wondering if anybody else has done so.
Ken

Tom Pritchard
11-19-2006, 4:34 PM
Drive over to New Hampshire, there are several stocking dealers here and NO SALES TAX!!!

CPeter

Just curious, where in NH do they sell the Sawstop?

BTW, we love New Hampsire! Used to camp up at Twin Mountain KOA, near Bethlehem. Took the Cog Railway up Mt. Washington. It was one of the best camping trips we had been on.

If only I knew then that there were woodworking tool stores nearby.....:D

Ken Werner
11-19-2006, 5:00 PM
I found a dealer in Hudson, NH and one in Newington, NH. Do you know of any others, perhaps closer to the VT border?

Thanks, Ken

Ted Baca
11-19-2006, 5:25 PM
I would call first to see if they are tacking on freight. In Colorado Woodcraft is adding 350.00 and Louis and Co is adding 300.00 to the base price of 2799.00. Might want to know before you make the trip.

Rich Konopka
11-19-2006, 5:32 PM
Ken,

Brians Tools Sale (http://www.brianstoolsales.com/webstore/Saws/transitiontablesaw.htm)s In Enfield CT on the Mass/Connecticut Border. My guestimate is sowhere in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 hours for you.

Cheers

Joe Jensen
11-19-2006, 6:07 PM
The dealers that are adding on freight have a lot of nerve. Not only is the saw price protected, but they have to add on freight? SawStop should get involved.

BTW, my local dealer did not charge freight, but they would not comp the $50 delivery charge...joe

John Bush
11-19-2006, 6:16 PM
Hi Ken,
I bought mine directly from SS before they had dealers selling for them. I had them ship the boxes to the nearest freight terminal and picked it up at the dock. Shipping costs were a lot less. Contact their office in Or. and see if that is a better option. Or. doesn't have a sales tax either. JCB.

CPeter James
11-19-2006, 6:31 PM
One of the members of our Guild bought one in Hudson. The other dealer I know of is the one in Newington. I don't know about adding on freight charges. A call would get you that information. The saving on the tax would be about $160 more or less. NH is the only state in the northeast without a sales tax and we really feel it when we go to some other state and buy something. We have three major chains represented here, Woodcraft, Rockler's and Western Tools, as well as a full line major tool dealer, Brentwood machine. Also there are several other smaller dealers and several industrial tool sources. In short, no lack of places to spend you money.

CPeter

Dave Bureau
11-19-2006, 7:32 PM
woodcraft has them in stock for 3717. out the door. 3 hp

Ben Grunow
11-19-2006, 9:11 PM
Bought mine from Brians in Enfield. Tool came in good shape but they were not too great with follow through. Said they were coming with 2 men and a pallet jack and showed up with one guy and a steel ramp to slide the saw down (!!!) into shop. Not what I was hoping for to say the least after spending big $. Fortunately I had another guy with me and we got it in but not the best way. Cant remember (forced myself to forget?) shipping costs but dont think there were any.

Tom Ruflin
11-20-2006, 6:37 PM
Ken, I bought my SawStop before the local woodcraft started carrying them. I think I paid $475 for delivery with a lift gate and residential service. The delivery guy (from Yellow freight I believe) put the saw on a pallet truck, lowered it down to the road with the lift gate and we both rolled it up the driveway into the garage. There was some minor damage to the fence that SawStop replaced with overnight delivery and no pictures required. I'm not sure if the Woodcraft in Rochester has one in stock yet but I now they are expecting at least one. I was going to save about $75 by picking it up at the terminal with my truck but had no way to easily get it to the ground from my truck so it was worth the bucks to have the liftgate service.

JIm McMullen
11-20-2006, 8:06 PM
Ken,
Here are some experiences with Woodcraft for your consideration:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=429431#post429431

Mike Heidrick
11-20-2006, 9:04 PM
I just ordered last week here in IL. They took me for $375 shipping and 8% sales tax wich was another $300. That is more than the price I paid for many of my tools right there! Good luck getting one to you for less, I have read that several people have so it should be possible. I am lucky to even have a Woodcraft even close to me - 40 miles away. There are only three in IL.

On my deal though - here is what I am thinking. WoodCraft assumes responsibility if the saw shows up in a grizzlyed state - not me. I do not have to mess with picking up anything other than a perfect shipping container. As far as unloading it at the house, that is a job for the Deere.

All other prices I paid are MSRP.
2999 for the 5hp saw
369 for the 52" fence
99 for the extension table
69 for the extra standard brake
89 for the dado brake
29 for the dado clearence plate
29 for extra standard clearence plate
375 shipping
294.64 tax
total
$4352.64 and no power cord and I have to drive 80 miles round trip to get the saw. And you know what, to me, it will be worth all of it.

Joe Jensen
11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
I just ordered last week here in IL. They took me for $375 shipping and 8% sales tax wich was another $300. That is more than the price I paid for many of my tools right there! Good luck getting one to you for less, I have read that several people have so it should be possible. I am lucky to even have a Woodcraft even close to me - 40 miles away. There are only three in IL.

On my deal though - here is what I am thinking. WoodCraft assumes responsibility if the saw shows up in a grizzlyed state - not me. I do not have to mess with picking up anything other than a perfect shipping container. As far as unloading it at the house, that is a job for the Deere.

All other prices I paid are MSRP.
2999 for the 5hp saw
369 for the 52" fence
99 for the extension table
69 for the extra standard brake
89 for the dado brake
29 for the dado clearence plate
29 for extra standard clearence plate
375 shipping
294.64 tax
total
$4352.64 and no power cord and I have to drive 80 miles round trip to get the saw. And you know what, to me, it will be worth all of it.

Congratulations. What are you upgrading from?..joe