PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Mini Max Bandsaw wars

Jay Knoll
10-30-2003, 3:48 PM
Hi again, I'm still trying to decide between these two brands of band saws. I've been on their respective message boards, read the comparisons and the associated rebuttals, and generally been overwhelmed with the strength of the opinions being set forth. Perhaps instead of "buyers regret" I'm reading "ownership certainty!"

In any event, if any of you have either of these machines, I would appreciate your opinion of the machine you own. Please, no responses from people who are, like me, considering a purchase. I don't need a recap of the differences from an intellectual perspective, rather I'd like to hear from people with real experience with the machine.

Thanks for the help.

Jay Knoll

Dennis McDonaugh
10-30-2003, 4:54 PM
Hi again, I'm still trying to decide between these two brands of band saws. I've been on their respective message boards, read the comparisons and the associated rebuttals, and generally been overwhelmed with the strength of the opinions being set forth. Perhaps instead of "buyers regret" I'm reading "ownership certainty!"

In any event, if any of you have either of these machines, I would appreciate your opinion of the machine you own. Please, no responses from people who are, like me, considering a purchase. I don't need a recap of the differences from an intellectual perspective, rather I'd like to hear from people with real experience with the machine.

Thanks for the help.

Jay Knoll

Jay,

I've had my mm16 almost a year now and I couldn't be happier with it. I picked it over the Laguna because the lower guides could be adjusted right up to the bottom of the table and it had a bigger motor. The fact that I could drive up to Austin and pick it up also helped.

My opinion: Resaw capacity is great, but only if you have enough horses to use it. Other pluses--the upper guide post adjusts via a rack and pinion; the fence is about 8" high and adjusts for drift; the 4" dust port (I don't think its actually 4", but my 4" hose fits over) is right under the table and sucks up all the dust; and all but one (why leave out one?) of the blade adjustments use knobs instead of hex-head bolts.

Initially, I used the mobilizer that came with the saw, but now it sits on a shop fox base. I had an extra one and its just easier not to have to mess with the handle. I had to put a couple of boards under the saw so I could open the doors while it sits on the base,

BTW, there is a microswitch in each door so you can't turn on the saw with the door open. The only negative I have seen so far is the amount of cosmoline it had on it when I got it.

Jim Becker
10-30-2003, 5:06 PM
If it helps, many of the folks that make MiniMax "tick" used to be with Laguna...and from what I can see and have heard, they are much more customer focused than their former employer currently is. I'll have my first MiniMax machine on Sunday night to get to know intimately, but from what other owners tell me and what I've read in other forums, that although their machines are better than Laguna's, the real difference is in the relationship. Admittedly, that's hear-say, but I hear it and see it an aweful lot.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2003, 7:23 PM
Jay ---
I've got a Laguna built by ACM. (They used to sell some saws built by other companies, but now all of their saws are ACM.) I've had it four years, and use it a lot. It is a good machine. I think most woodworkers would be quite happy with it. Unlike some loud writers on the various forums, I've had reasonable relations with the Laguna sales and technical people.
As to your Laguna-MiniMax agonizing, I'd say that the decision is probably 6.5 of one and a half-dozen of the other. The trick is that I don't know which one is the 6.5. Somebody would have to use both saws extensively to be really sure which one is slightly better. I suggest you stop overthinking your decision. Just go buy one. Either one will be way better than what you've got now, right? The longer you agonize, the longer you won't have a nice big bandsaw in your shop.
Jamie

Todd Burch
10-30-2003, 8:50 PM
I have a Laguna 18" model (ACM version). It is a nice machine, but it is not the end-all to end-all.

I bought it a few years ago @ a local woodworking show. I like the low table, as when I bought it I was doing a lot of resawing. On me, the table is belt-high while my Jet 14" BS table is chest high. It has a 2HP motor on it that I have stalled several times when pushing too hard with a dull band. (Duh...)

I like the Euro band guides, but after not that much really heavy use, the rear guides stick and need replacing. It's not rare to see sparks fly on my saw when the back of the band hits the rear guide.

I like the band tension adjustment mechanism and the foot brake. Both operate fast and efficiently. I have the aluminum extruded fence and the cast iron fence. Both are nice. If I had to pick one, I would pick the extruded fence. The miter gauge is nice and big and heavy, but I have rarely used it. Table is smooth and polished. Service was fine when there were problem during delivery (the movers droped it on its back...). However, they've never called or sent flowers since... ;)

If I found myself @ a show or in Austin, I would take the time to look over a Mini Max or an SCMI.

Todd.

Mike Tubbs
10-30-2003, 9:20 PM
Well Jay,
you have certainly stirred up my emotions. I am very passionate about my Mini- max. People that know me will say the same.
It is hands down the best piece of machinery in my shop. By the way I hate band saws. It just so happens I have a large need for a good bandsaw ad Mini- max filled the need. I scroll cut very large pieces of timber with mine and it has never failed me. Blade changes are quick and simple, adjustments are simple and his has a ton of power. Customer service is second to no one.

Ted Calver
10-30-2003, 10:49 PM
I've had a Laguna 24" for a little over three years. I use it for everything you'd use a band saw for, but mostly heavy duty resawing and prepping turning blanks. It's been a good reliable machine with lousy dust collection. Last year I added the ceramic guide aftermarket kit and it made a significant difference. Now it's a great machine with lousy dust collection. A few rough spots after the sale gave me the initial impression that Laguna was all sell and no support. I've since done enough business with them to change my mind. No regrets, but I recommend a hands-on inspection of both machines.

Chuck Wintle
10-31-2003, 7:01 AM
Could someone post a link for the Mini-Max message board?
Thanks

Jason Roehl
10-31-2003, 7:03 AM
Could someone post a link for the Mini-Max message board?
Thanks

Whoever does, may want to PM it to Charles, lest they run afoul of the SMC TOS.

Alan Turner
10-31-2003, 9:37 AM
Todd,
You might want to take a look at the Carter guides. I have the Agazzani 20", which came iwith Euro Guides, probably the same as the MM and the Laguana. I didn't care for the fact taht the rear balde guide is perpendicular to the blade. To me that makes no sense. On the Carters, all three guides are correctly oriented. I do a fair amount of resawing, and have had no problems since switching over. I run a 1" Lennox cabide tipped blade, that is now about 8 months old, and with no noticeable wear or dullness. At the price of these, I am glad! I think the primary difference between the Agazzani and the MM and Laguana is that the Ag. has solid cast wheels, which act like flywheels a bit, and give a very good feel when resawing.
Alan.

Steven Wilson
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Jay,

I have the Minimax MM20 (20", 4.8hp, 15" resaw) and it has been a fine addition to the shop and the service has been excellent. The saw, like the other Minmax saws except the S45, is made by Centaro. The Centaro bandsaws are known as being excelent machines. They are fairly heavy duty, with cast wheels, and substantial upper blade guide support columns. I was able to compare the Laguna and Minimax saws at a recent show and the differences were apparent once you open up the covers a take a close look inside - the Minimax is a more robust machine. My Minimax had a couple of birthing problems (way too much Cosmoline, like 2 gallons of the stuff and a bumb switch) but the problems were quickly taken care of and the saw has run fine since. FYI the Laguna bandsaws are made by the same company that makes the Bridgewood (except Bridgewood puts on a US motor) and Felder (except Felder puts on a German motor) and is a fine saw but the motor used by Laguna has been suspect (they've had problems).

Mike Mastin
10-31-2003, 10:28 AM
I also have never quite understood the orientation of the European blade guides. The Carter guides seem to make the most sense with their orientation, but maybe I am missing something here. If anyone would elaborate on the differences and their pros and cons, that would be really helpful.

Jamie Buxton
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
I have a Laguna bandsaw. It came with those Euro-style blade guides, just like Aganzanni, Minimax, and all the others. Like Todd, I became concerned when I got showers of sparks off the thrust bearing. Showers of sparks and a cloud of sawdust seemed like a bad idea. I looked carefully at the thrust bearing, and like Alan I couldn't figure out why in the heck it was built that way. (For those of you who haven't looked closely, the Euro thrust bearing is a disc that spins, but the axis of rotation runs front-to-back on the machine, so the contact between the bearing and the blade is a wiping action, not a rolling action. Eventually the bearing face gets pitted and rough, and the sparks start.)

I redesigned the thrust bearings in about ten minutes. This was over two years ago, and the bearings (I fixed both top and bottom) show almost no sign of wear. This board won't let me post photos, so I'll try to describe it in text. If anybody wants a photo, email me, and I'll send you one directly. I replaced the original thrust bearing with a bearing that rolls on the back of the blade. The bearing is a half-inch diameter bearing that was the pilot bearing on a router bit. (If you don't have a couple of these around, you can buy new ones from router-bit distributors for $5 or so.) It is just stuck on a machine screw of the correct diameter, which sticks into a dowel of the same diameter as the original bearings mounting shaft. I even got tricky, and let in a little piece of metal for the thumbscrew to tighten against.

Mike Wilkins
11-03-2003, 4:04 PM
Proud Laguna LT18 owner chiming in. Had the machine since Aug. 2001.
I got it to replace a Delta 14", which is/was a fine machine. I just got
the itch for more power/resaw capacity. I purchased the machine on the
reputation of the company and one of those slick videos; I never saw
one in person until the truck arrived. I have had no regret. This beast
has enough power to saw the universe in half and makes short work on
both hard and soft woods.

As for problems with the unit; I have had the same concern with the
thrust bearings, as Todd Burch and Jamie Buxton stated. My Delta had
the same arrangement, but no sparks. I think the replacement guides
that Laguna sells is the way to go, but costly. For now I am going to
try the fix that Jamie suggested until the funds present themselves.

If possible, try to see one of these in person. I personally don't think you
could go wrong with any of the steel framed bandsaws currently on the
market, and there seems to be more interest in them in the past couple
of years.

Good luck with your choice.
Laguna owner and loving it. Mike.

jerry cousins
11-04-2003, 9:35 AM
here's a picture of jamie's modification of the thrust bearings.
many thanks for sharing it.

jerry