PDA

View Full Version : Router question

James Ayars
11-19-2006, 3:30 PM
I am considering buying another router. I have a Craftsman but it is attached to my router table and is a pain to take in and out if i want to free hand something.

Is there any reason to prefer a 1/2 inch over a 1/4 inch router?
Many thanks.
James

Carol Reed
11-19-2006, 4:08 PM
Half inch shanked bits are stronger and vibrate less, making finish sanding easier. Routers that accept 1/2" shanked bits are more powerful. Your routing world will have a much broader horizon. Many more choices available to you as your skills grow.

Just like your Mom buying you longer pants when you growing up. She knew you would grow into them.

CPeter James
11-19-2006, 4:09 PM
There are many reasons to consider a 1/2" over a 1/4". Power available, more choices of bits, less vibration, variable speed. After a Craftsman, if you go to one of the better bigger routers, you will be amazed at the difference.

CPeter

scott spencer
11-19-2006, 4:27 PM
The advantages of 1/2" outweigh any advantages of 1/4" shanks by a wide margin....

Tom Pritchard
11-19-2006, 4:30 PM
As others have stated, there is a great deal less flexing of the bit shaft with 1/2" over the 1/4", and much more control on hardwoods due to increased power and weight. Good luck on your choice!

Dave Falkenstein
11-19-2006, 5:22 PM
In addition to what the other folks have said, virtually all 1/2" routers come with a 1/4" collet, so you can still use your 1/4" bits.

Jim Becker
11-19-2006, 9:04 PM
1/2" shank cutters have something like four times the metal in the shank...ie, much stronger which is particularly important when you swing the larger bits or are doing work that puts a lot of lateral pressure on the bit. Routing slots, groves, dados, etc., are examples of that. I would not recommend a router that didn't at least accomodate 8mm shanks, and suggest 1/2" capablity to be pretty much a must outside of a trim router for light edge work.

glenn bradley
11-19-2006, 9:12 PM
If you have a large collection of 1/4 bits, get a collet adapter for your new HALF INCH collet router. Just my opinion. I have a smaller router (1/2) that I do that to for some of the smaller bits but I still have the freedom to use 1/2" as well.