PDA

View Full Version : A jungle walk

Jim King
11-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I thought these photos would enlighten anyone who thought they have had a bad day. This group led by the man with the mustache is a group of villagers and surveyers. They just spent two weeks in the virgin jungle crawling over fallen mossy trees and going thru swamps and crossing rivers in what ever way possible. In two weeks they walked, crawled and swam about 120 miles to survey our property. They lived on dried fish, dried yuca and what they could find. Nobody hurt, no snakebites or eel shocks. I WAS NOT THERE TO ENJOY IT. Total bill $3900 , for food , folks and fun, 21 people altogether. The walk started 8 hours down river by river taxi in a village joining our property. In the last photo they are butchering a full size Amazonian deer.

Tim Martin
11-20-2006, 7:01 AM
Hi Jim, nice pics and sounds like a hot sweaty adventure, pity you weren't there to enjoy the deer:eek: .

Whats the the tree being marked in the 2nd pic? Piratinera guianensis?

Jim King
11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Tim:
They are painting the tree because it is one of the coordinates of the plot plan. Later we will put in cement posts and paint them red because carrying cement on the first trip finding the spots with GPS would be a lot of extra carrying.
The canopy is thick and it makes it very difficult to shoot coordinates as the GPS cannot easily make a connection thru the canopy.
Jim

Frank Fusco
11-20-2006, 12:21 PM
That $3900.00 might get 20 acres of open land surveyed around here.
Did they travel armed? Sounds like a scary adventure to me.

Jim King
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Frank:
They only have a 16 gauge shotgun per group for hunting. There is really nothing to be armed from . The big cats run away from you and the snakes get you before you see them.

Bill Lewis
11-21-2006, 5:46 AM
So, how big is your property?

Chris Barton
11-21-2006, 6:51 AM
I used to live in New Orleans where that full sized amazon deer is about the same size as a full grown south Louisiana neutria, an import from your parts...

Jim King
11-21-2006, 9:17 AM
Bill : The property turned out to be 35,550 acres. About 1500 bigger than we thought. A typical acre here has about 36,000 bf of timber and can have 80 plus species per acre. We live in a State called Loreto that is 40% bigger than Oregon and produces 1/2 of 1% of what Oregon produces anually.