PDA

View Full Version : Help: Bandsaw alignment

Steve Canada
11-19-2006, 4:13 AM
I/ve just spent the evening assembling my first bandsaw.(woo hoo!) It is a General 90-150. BUT, I can't seem to get it in proper alignment.

Here is my problem:

I set the table flat using a level. When I check the blade to insure it is 90 degrees perpendicular to the table, it is not. It's out almost 1/4" side to side from when it leaves the top wheel to when it meets the table. I could easily adjust the table, but then it would not be a true leveled surfaced. It would be ok if it was a small tollerance, but if I adjust the table to compensate, it's a noticible slope.

If you want to easily understand my problem, imagine the top wheel was 1/2" larger then the bottom. The blade would not be vertical between the wheels, but would slope when leaving the top blade to meet the bottom.

I can't seem to understand what would cause this. I read through the Bandsaw book and this issue isn't addressed.

If you know what's wrong, please help and excussing my lack of knowledge. :)

Thanks folks.

Brian Hale
11-19-2006, 6:26 AM
Hey Steve!

Your most important calibration issue for a bandsaw is that the balde is 90* to the table, which is what you're addressing. If, after getting this set the table isn't level (to earth) then the whole machine may need adjusting via the leveling feet.

When you set your table square to the blade for the first time, make sure the thraot plate, guides and such are not in contact with the blade and that the blade is tensioned and tracking correctly on the wheels.

Brian :)

Wayne Gauthier
11-19-2006, 6:28 AM
Have you called the company to talk with them about your problem?

Is there a way to adjust the top wheel to compensate for the difference?

Sorry I wasn't much help, but, those were the two things I could come up with.

Good luck.

Ron Blaise
11-19-2006, 6:32 AM
I/ve just spent the evening assembling my first band.(woo hoo!) It is a General 90-150. BUT, I can't seem to get it in proper alignment.

Here is my problem:

I set the table flat using a level. When I check the blade to insure it is 90 degrees perpendicular to the table, it is not. It's out almost 1/4" side to side from when it leaves the top wheel to when it meets the table. I could easily adjust the table, but then it would not be a true leveled surfaced. It would be ok if it was a small tollerance, but if I adjust the table to compensate, it's a noticible slope.

If you want to easily understand my problem, imagine the top wheel was 1/2" larger then the bottom. The blade would not be vertical between the wheels, but would slope when leaving the top blade to meet the bottom.

I can't seem to understand what would cause this. I read through the Bandsaw book and this issue isn't addressed.

If you know what's wrong, please help and excussing my lack of knowledge. :)

Thanks folks.

Your guides? Leveling your table (band saw) should be the last thing you do after you have everything running perpendicular and your blade tracking adjusted correctly. Besides, your floor may not be plumb anyway, especially if your shop is in a garage. Set your table on the 90 degree mark and go from there.As a rule I don't put a level on a band saw until I have everything else like I want it. I hope I have helped. Enjoy your new saw!:)

Travis Porter
11-19-2006, 9:19 AM
To me, it sounds like your wheels are not coplanar (I think that is the word). If you take a long straight edge will it touch the top and bottom of both the upper and lower wheels? It may also depend on where you are tracking the blade on the uppder wheel, to the center or too far foward or too far back.

I had to shim the wheels on my Delta 14" saw to correct this. Not a whole lot, maybe 1/8th of an inch. Unfortunately, once I did that, my table was out of square to the blade and I had to shim the table.

As far as having the table level, wouldn't you want to level the saw frame first and then work from there leveling the table and squaring the blade to the table? My .02

lou sansone
11-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I make sure my blade is 90 to the table ... never checked to see if it is also level. I think that due to the design of my saw, you would not really be able to adjust it with levelers

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36341

Lou

Pete Bradley
11-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Steve,

It really doesn't matter if your table is level as long as it's not severely tilted. The most important thing is that the band runs 90 degrees to the table. Leveling is the last thing to do after the machine is aligned to itself.

Your manual should have instructions on adjustments. You can also look at this article at owwm:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/110124076.pdf

It's a common new-user mistake to dive into a lot of adjustments that make matters worse or knock off a perfectly fine machine, so be sparing and think your adjustments through before making any changes.

Pete

Steve Canada
11-19-2006, 1:51 PM
Thanks for all the help folks, I'm off to see if I can correct it now after reading your comments. I'll keep you posted.